cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Unbelievable, squirrels / rats

TOMMY47
Explorer
Explorer
Found and blocked the probable hole that was the entryway to the MH.
Used copper scouring pad wedged tightly in hole followed by expanding foam sealant.
Checked it today--copper pushed out and foam chewed up.
Doubled the copper and more foam. See what happens.
32 REPLIES 32

Vulcaneer
Explorer
Explorer
I have had the best luck with quick setting hydraulic concrete. Cheap, easy to use, very effective, long lasting.
'12 F350 SB, CC, SRW, 6.7 PSD, 3.55 RAR, 6 spd auto
2015 DRV 38RSS 'Traditions'
Pullrite Super Glide 18K

Retirement = It's all poops and giggles....UNTIL someone Giggles and Poops.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
TOMMY47 wrote:
When I originally found nests, a few weeks ago, there were several hundred nuts stored nearby. Got rid of those and the nests. A few days later, there was a large nest under the counter. Looked like a squirrel's nest. Got rid of that . Then yesterday's B&E.
Pretty sure I had chipmunks before because of the small droppings. Pretty sure squirrel now.
Tried the bucket trap for a couple weeks and got nothing. Got a TIN CAT with no results. Also had traps with no results.
I think the small critters left. In fact, pretty sure nothing is inside now. Just the squirrel making an attempt.
Yup, nuts and bigger nests with external brought-in material indicate a squirrel. Chipmunks over-winter under ground. Squirrels, especially Red Squirrels will make several attempts to enter their blocked nest area. They are determined little bas *^s and don't like to give up a good nest/storage area. I've had them screech at me from close distance after cleaning out their nests and seeing their storage of Winter food carted away. They have a big investment in this as that food supply and nest means life or death.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Shearwater
Explorer
Explorer
Fiberglass mixed with epoxy or other sealant should be quite discouraging.
Advanced RV Sprinter

TOMMY47
Explorer
Explorer
When I originally found nests, a few weeks ago, there were several hundred nuts stored nearby. Got rid of those and the nests. A few days later, there was a large nest under the counter. Looked like a squirrel's nest. Got rid of that . Then yesterday's B&E.
Pretty sure I had chipmunks before because of the small droppings. Pretty sure squirrel now.
Tried the bucket trap for a couple weeks and got nothing. Got a TIN CAT with no results. Also had traps with no results.
I think the small critters left. In fact, pretty sure nothing is inside now. Just the squirrel making an attempt.

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Trap with peanut butter as bait ... if it's just one or two it's an easy solution.
Kevin

westend
Explorer
Explorer
If it's a squirrel's nest, there will be evidence of nuts, acorns, or fungi stored nearby. Mice and rats don't store food like that, they are opportunists and eat where there is food available. They will build a nest and desert it when there is no available food nearby.

The five gallon bucket trap with spinning bait platform is a great trap, it will eventually catch all mice in the area.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

TOMMY47
Explorer
Explorer
bgum--wadded up about 1 foot thick certainly may do the job. I believe there is a space accessed from the outside to the hole that can be filled with it.

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Metal window screen will not stop a bushy tail.

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
If it is a rat, it will chew through concrete, if it wants on the other side. No I'm not kidding.
Killed one in basement. It chewed the concrete between sill plate and wall. the treated sill plate didn't agree with it I guess.
When I heard it chewing, upstairs we went looking. It sat upon the block and looked at us like hi how are you.
Didn't get it then but a big sticky trap got him at night.
Had Folks we bought home from to seal it with foam that they say they won't chew.

TOMMY47
Explorer
Explorer
Fizz--The nest I found a few days ago was right next to the hole, under the bath cabinet. I put wadded up metal window screen in the passageway to other parts of the MH. IT can't get out of the closed cabinet.
I just went to my local small hardware store and the owner gave me a large piece of metal window screen. Plan to stuff it everywhere.

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
Probably a badger.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
Did you check everywhere inside?
Maybe mama has a nest she has to get too.

TOMMY47 wrote:
Pretty sure it's a squirrel now.
Can't get a cat. When I travel, I'm out of the RV for many hours at a time in hot weather sometimes. I do like cats and wouldn't mind one.

TOMMY47
Explorer
Explorer
Pretty sure it's a squirrel now.
Can't get a cat. When I travel, I'm out of the RV for many hours at a time in hot weather sometimes. I do like cats and wouldn't mind one.

Uppercrust
Explorer
Explorer
I was told that there is a mouse repellant foam out there. We will be trying it since we have caught 4 mice so far.
2012 F250 CC,FX4, Metallic blue/Silver
2012 Cruiser Patriot 345RF ๐Ÿ™‚ campers mom, dad
19 yr. old son
22 yr. old daughter
Diesel R.I.P.
Lady lab mix 16 R.I.P
Daisy beagle/collie
Misty shepard/husky
Camper's Have Smore Fun
14.5 Rallies
sleepovers 3

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
rexlion wrote:
Maybe you should fill it with plumber's epoxy putty. Once it hardens, they won't be chewing through it.

I don't know about that but rats can chew through 1/2" drywall. I have seen that personally.

If you use putty or foam, put some 1/4" hardware cloth in it.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006