Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Peppermint Oil Observation

dcmac214
Explorer
Explorer
My personal observation, FWIW.
Put 3 small bowls of peppermint oil in the toyhauler when winterizing. Made wicks from 3x3" cotton gauze pads, 3-4 tablespoons p.oil per bowl. One in garage, one in galley, one in tunnel.

Began de-winterizing this week and 1st thing I checked was for vermin in the traps and any "leavings" they might have left for me to pick up. NOTHING! Not a single sign of mice, rats, squirrels. Even the dead bugs I've found in past years were much fewer than before.

Gawd, that stuff is expensive - but well worth it! DW paid ~$50 for a 16- or 20-ounce bottle. Think I can get 3-5 more years out of it...judging by what's left in the little bowls I used I don't need to use more than a 1-2 tablespoons p.oil per bowl. I'll still put out the spring & glue traps too, just in case.
40 REPLIES 40

blkdodge
Explorer
Explorer
We stay in Az from October until April. We have had them every spring and fall. Last fall I caught one, then went to the PURE PEPERMENT OIL and moths balls in a container outside. Then at Homedepot I found a product called "snake away" it is moth ball chips encased with clay. Just sprinkle it around coach outside.. Since we stay in the desert we don't have an snakes either.
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW/2012 Heartland Landmark San Antonio.

windbag94
Explorer
Explorer
Hi...My first post....

Peppermint oil drops mixed with water in a spray bottle, you can spray inside and outside your trailer, will keep SPIDERS away - but not mice as far as I can find. It is not harmful, and smells good. Spray as needed. You can put a drop under your tongue after dinner to help digest your food, and freshen your breath..

I sell oils, and in my book for mice, they recommend a blend called Purification. It has several oils in it, but one of them is tea tree oil that is probably the easiest to get at some stores. Tea tree oil can also be used for sores, cuts or burns as it has antibacterial qualities, plus if your nose is stuffed, if you sniff the bottle, or put a few drops in boiling water and a towel over your head and deep breathe it will help unplug your sinuses and lungs.

That way if you buy the oils to use for your pests, they won't go to waste.
I am not a Dr. but I do believe in the power of essential oils.
If you are unsure, you can look up their uses online.

dcmac214
Explorer
Explorer
Gjac wrote:
No one has mention those electronic devices that you plug in the wall, has anyone used these and did they work to keep the mice out?

I strongly suspect it's a scam and they flat out don't work. Just one more more-than-useless thing to unwittingly waste your money on. I say that based on what I assume is a science-based decision by the Army: electric/electronic "pest repelling" devices are specifically prohibited in warehouses, kitchens, etc.

tegu69
Explorer
Explorer
Mice don't see very well, so I doubt if they would be afraid of plastic snakes and owls. Get yourself a guard.

Tom_Diane
Explorer
Explorer
luvourtoys wrote:
I'm glad it worked for you. We tried it this year and when we checked last weekend, yes we had mouse poop in the trailer, even on the paper plate that i had the bowl with the oil and cotton balls sitting on. I will say that it wasn't as bad as last year, and the trailer smells nice. We haven't had any luck keeping them out completely over the winter. ๐Ÿ™‚
Yep, It has to be pure peppermint extract! More aptly labeled Peppermint OIL!
My wife works at a place that bottles and sells it so we get a decent price for it but it works at any price.
In the FWIW department, I did purchase those little green De-con blocks and they seem to work also! Just don't do as I did and leave it one spot where it might get damp in the summer time, the maggots were awful when I went to take it out of the water fill area in the middle of July!
Also, be sure to put some deterrent around your tires in the fall when you winterize!
I like extra coverage so I have been contemplating the plastic owls under and near the tires and rubber snakes laid randomly throughout the RV! I've heard of successes with those also!

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
We use the pure peppermint oil, wife get's from Amazon...works great for us....Haven't had mice in our 5er for close to a year and a half now...
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

pasusan
Explorer
Explorer
Gjac wrote:
No one has mention those electronic devices that you plug in the wall, has anyone used these and did they work to keep the mice out?
Well... I can tell you they don't work for bats. :R

Susan & Ben [2004 Roadtrek 170]
href="https://sites.google.com/view/pasusan-trips/home" target="_blank">Trip Pics

luvourtoys
Explorer
Explorer
We tried one of those after my father in law gave it to us, did not work for us anyway.
Jennifer
Husband Dennis
2 boys 11 and 18
1 dog Joe Boxer
2007 PUMA 29-FKSS at the Lake
2005 Bass Tracker PT175

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III

ams1130
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:
musicman54 wrote:
rhagfo wrote:
Well our storage yard has cats, never a mouse issue. That said I will state that we don't let the 5er sit more than 2 months at a time. That seems like forever for us!! I could not imagine not using for six months or more!!!!!
same here 6 months and they would have to put me in a loony ben . wse go atleast somewhere every month

Once a month for us is normal for us also, but work travel got in the way for once!

Oh you southerners *insert jealous face here* haha. We last had ours out in September!

Oh, and as to mouse prevention, our RV sits outside the entire year. Mothballs in pantyhose on axles/hitch outside, and Fresh Cab packs inside. That's what we've done for a long time and works for us.
Ford F150
2014 KZ Sportsmen S242SBH

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
musicman54 wrote:
rhagfo wrote:
Well our storage yard has cats, never a mouse issue. That said I will state that we don't let the 5er sit more than 2 months at a time. That seems like forever for us!! I could not imagine not using for six months or more!!!!!
same here 6 months and they would have to put me in a loony ben . wse go atleast somewhere every month

Once a month for us is normal for us also, but work travel got in the way for once!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

musicman54
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:

Oldme
Explorer
Explorer
The in-laws were campers for over 30 years.
They swore by Irish Spring Soap.

When they were not camping or being snow-birds, later in
life, the camper stayed at their lake from home.
To my knowledge no rodent problems.

A local Hark has made my area home for the past
several years. I see him several times a week.
No mice since he moved in.

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think it falls into the "Deer Whistle" category. It works because there are no mice. Dryer sheets, moth balls, peppermint oil...all the same. Cats, poison, traps, guns..all those work for sure because they kill the little buggers.

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS