cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

US citizen buying an RV in Canada

BeeTee
Explorer
Explorer
I'm in the hunt for a good quality used FW and found one in Canada. Has anyone from the US bought a trailer in Canada. I'm looking for info. on process, title/registration issues and costs, special taxes, etc. I'm trying to get a good picture if it's like buying an out of state trailer in the US or if there are a lot of extra barriers and costs.

thanks!

Bill
45 REPLIES 45

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
Why go looking for trouble is my motto. Maybe if the Canadien bought it originally in the US it might be easier but who knows. The Border Patrol guys are a little jumpy right now, and the recent legalization of pot in Canada has them really really diligent.
Puma 30RKSS

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
johntank wrote:
JaxDad wrote:
IB853347201 wrote:
Scottiemom wrote:
First off, Canada does not have titles for motorhomes. At least not then, which was several years ago. Don't know if that has changed.
Dale

Not to dispute your claim, but the info you got from your friend was nonsense. Canada has always had ownership titles for all motorized vehicles including Motorhomes, cars, trucks, ATV's, etc. I believe this is universal across most of North America. Trailers also have titles.

No, they were correct.

In Canada we only have an kownershipโ€™ which is the equivalent of a โ€˜registrationโ€™ in the US system.

The โ€˜titleโ€™ is a different animal.

Would not the ownership paper show the vin. make model of said vehicle the owner and/or a lien holder if there is one, if so it would be the same as a title here in MS and I would think in all other states.

No, the ownership here is a 2 part card the size of a credit card, one half shows the name the vehicle is registered to, the other side whoโ€™s name the plates (tags as you call them) are in.

We have a totally separate system for recording liens (repair, storage, etc.) or money owing against the vehicle. It is a much broader system that includes unpaid court judgements, personal loans, unpaid taxes, all sorts of things. Basically any debt other than that owing against real estate.

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Tom/Barb wrote:
JaxDad wrote:

I've done it many, many times, the conversation usually goes something like this;

"Do you have the preclearance paperwork?"

"Yes"

"OK, pull over there so we can check the VIN number."

It usually takes longer to walk inside and pay than anything else. I doubt I've ever been even 5 minutes.

Once you are on the side, they will run a stolen vehicle , wants and warrants check, and any other check they can think of, you'll be there awhile. Specially if you enter at Blane, Wa.

I think you missed several posts. CBP has a form you fill out and fax in 48+ hours ahead of hitting the border for importing or exporting a vehicle, they do the โ€˜wants and warrantsโ€™ (as you put it) check DAYS before you ever get to the border.

You are there 5 minutes, not โ€œawhileโ€. Certainly less time than getting caught trying to break the law lying to Customs.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
JaxDad wrote:

I've done it many, many times, the conversation usually goes something like this;

"Yes"

It usually takes longer to walk inside and pay than anything else. I doubt I've ever been even 5 minutes.

Once you are on the side, they will run a stolen vehicle , wants and warrants check, and any other check they can think of, you'll be there awhile. Specially if you enter at Blane, Wa.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

johntank
Explorer
Explorer
JaxDad wrote:
IB853347201 wrote:
Scottiemom wrote:
First off, Canada does not have titles for motorhomes. At least not then, which was several years ago. Don't know if that has changed.
Dale

Not to dispute your claim, but the info you got from your friend was nonsense. Canada has always had ownership titles for all motorized vehicles including Motorhomes, cars, trucks, ATV's, etc. I believe this is universal across most of North America. Trailers also have titles.

No, they were correct.

In Canada we only have an kownershipโ€™ which is the equivalent of a โ€˜registrationโ€™ in the US system.

Would not the ownership paper show the vin. make model of said vehicle the owner and/or a lien holder if there is one, if so it would be the same as a title here in MS and I would think in all other states.

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Tom/Barb wrote:
JaxDad wrote:
Tom/Barb wrote:
ItsyRV wrote:
Tom/Barb wrote:
Easy, do it as a lost title. with bill of sale.

have you actually done this? If so, please enlighten us how you managed to pull it off.

Yes, two M/C that had no paper work at all.

It's easy under Wa. state laws.

Check with DMV for the forms

The forms are easy to find and available online from the WA DMV website.

The relevant section, a lost title, requires you to state you โ€˜lost the titleโ€™ then sign before a Notary below a line that says โ€œI certify under penalty of perjury under the laws of the state of Washington that the foregoing is true and correct.If signing for a business, I have full authority to do so.โ€.

So yes, if you swear a false affidavit and perjure yourself, I suppose you could get a title that way.

BTW, most Canadian Provinces and US States share a mutual database now for the purposes of ticketing out of jurisdiction vehicles and such. It also alerts to duplicates to prevent registration in multiple jurisdictions in order to escape collection efforts and to crack down on reregistration of stolen vehicles.

It might be awkward explaining how a Canadian vehicle had a โ€˜lostโ€™ US title......

Go ahead drag that trailer thru US customs with Canadian plates, see what happens.

"Yes"

schlep1967
Nomad
Nomad
schlep1967 wrote:

US Customs and Border Protection

Please just follow the link I posted. US Customs and Border Protection are the only ones you should be getting advice from on this issue.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
JaxDad wrote:
Tom/Barb wrote:
ItsyRV wrote:
Tom/Barb wrote:

have you actually done this? If so, please enlighten us how you managed to pull it off.

The relevant section, a lost title, requires you to state you โ€˜lost the titleโ€™ then sign before a Notary below a line that says โ€œI certify under penalty of perjury under the laws of the state of Washington that the foregoing is true and correct.If signing for a business, I have full authority to do so.โ€.

So yes, if you swear a false affidavit and perjure yourself, I suppose you could get a title that way.

BTW, most Canadian Provinces and US States share a mutual database now for the purposes of ticketing out of jurisdiction vehicles and such. It also alerts to duplicates to prevent registration in multiple jurisdictions in order to escape collection efforts and to crack down on reregistration of stolen vehicles.

It might be awkward explaining how a Canadian vehicle had a โ€˜lostโ€™ US title......

Go ahead drag that trailer thru US customs with Canadian plates, see what happens.

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Tom/Barb wrote:
ItsyRV wrote:
Tom/Barb wrote:

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
IB853347201 wrote:
Scottiemom wrote:
Dale

No, they were correct.

BeeTee
Explorer
Explorer
Some additional info. It's a Carriage Cameo FW built in Indiana with a DOT sticker on the drivers side like all the others I've seen in the US.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
3. In Person at a DMV Office

Vehicle owners may prefer or be required to replace a car title in person by visiting a local DMV office. During this visit, applicants must complete the proper application form and identify themselves by submitting a drivers license or ID card. In addition, car owners must provide vehicle-related credentials that allow the DMV to locate their records. Note that applicants must also provide documentation proving that any liens on their cars have been satisfied. Finally, motorists will be asked to pay for the applicable car title replacement fees. Because most DMV offices experience long wait times, drivers are encouraged to fully prepare for the transaction so as to avoid potential mistakes and repeat visits.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
ItsyRV wrote:
Tom/Barb wrote:

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
Tom/Barb wrote:

1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
JaxDad wrote:
Tom/Barb wrote:
Get all important numbers, register it down here in your home state.
go to Canada and put the US plates on and tow it home, say nothing at the border. about buying it in Canada.

Just curious how you might register it in your name with no domestic ownership documents?

Preclearing a border crossing is very simple, just fax a form in to CBP at the border crossing more than 48 hours before you want to cross. It would be faster than getting caught breaking the law.