cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

US mountain west in May

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
In the time frame May 1 to June 15, what areas, national parks, etc., would be difficult or impossible due to snow and cold?

I know it's a broad, vague question. We plan to be out to AZ in early May for a family thing, and want to take our Class C and work on our bucket list. And that list is just an general idea in my mind:

-Grand Canyon
-Colorado, Utah
-Yellowstone
-etc (see the big NPs and mountains out west)

I would not count out Yosemite too. As I say, it's a very vague idea.

So I'm just looking for some general guidance on when areas open up and are reasonably beyond winter.

edit: after getting a few replies, I can see it would not be good to plan on the above.

So how about going up the Pacific coast? How would it be in mid-May if we go all the way to the top of Oregon? Then, check out Oregon, then maybe Nevada and Utah on the way back to AZ? Would we likely find moderate weather on that routing?
Currently RV-less but not done yet.
24 REPLIES 24

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
We did the Grand Canyon May 7th thru May 10th in 2012. There were a very few small patches on snow on the ground but nothing to worry about.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thunder Mountain wrote:
I remember a 2+ snow fall in Estes Park (Rocky Mountain National Park) on Memorial Day weekend in the late 1970s and a 3'dump on May 17 in the early 1980s as well as many heavy wet snows in May. Just go prepared for at least a 60 degree swing in temps in the Rockies.

This happened last year up in Rocky. They got Trail Ridge Rd plowed before Memorial Day, cutting through drifts up to 20 feet high. But the planned opening wasn't prior to Memorial Day due to more snow. I was up there the weekend AFTER Memorial Day, when they were finally able to get it open during daylight hours for the season (closed down at night for the next week due to icing).

As Thunder Mountain said, be prepared for huge temp swings in the Rockies.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Snowman9000 wrote:

So how about going up the Pacific coast? How would it be in mid-May if we go all the way to the top of Oregon? Then, check out Oregon, then maybe Nevada and Utah on the way back to AZ? Would we likely find moderate weather on that routing?

This would be the ideal route for your trip. By the time you get to Utah on your return the weather will be perfect.

Also, May would be good for the South Rim of Grand Canyon and for Zion if you wanted to do those on your way out of Arizona and up the coast.

One of our times at the Grand Canyon was in February and the weather was great. You never know. Just monitor the weather as you travel.

We always started heading north out of Arizona in April/May. May in Arizona is getting hot. We did travel slowly though.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
May on the Oregon coast can be anything. Three years ago we were camping at Cape Lookout State Park in the beginning of May and it was over 90! Typically it's low 60's for high temperatures.

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
May is a fine time to go. Bryce Canyon was great in early April last year. And the day after I left there it snowed. So what?

A flexible plan and a persistent weather check will result in a great trip.

minnow
Explorer
Explorer
We did Yellowstone in mid April this year. The park was open(most if it), We were able to see Old Faithful. There was little crowds. Did have a snow squall in West Yellowstone one night - quick 2-3" of snow. Next day it was gone. A very enjoyable trip.

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer II
Explorer II
I remember a 2+ snow fall in Estes Park (Rocky Mountain National Park) on Memorial Day weekend in the late 1970s and a 3'dump on May 17 in the early 1980s as well as many heavy wet snows in May. Just go prepared for at least a 60 degree swing in temps in the Rockies.
2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!

PghBob
Explorer
Explorer
If you are near the Grand Canyon, don't pass up an opportunity to visit Monument Valley (Navajo Tribal Land) on the border of Arizona and Utah. Absolutely gorgeous, then consider traveling north to Arches MP. If you want, you can circle around to Bryce and Zion NPs.

Heed the posts about the weather. It can snow it Yellowstone any month, and one June we were snowed in for a day. Another visit and another June, temps dropped to freezing. Consider seeing parks in the southwest and gradually work north as the weather improves. Have fun.

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
We will be able to be flexible, that's for sure. I'm getting a better picture of the situation from all the posts. So we will have to wait and see.
Currently RV-less but not done yet.

Alabama_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Was in Yellow two years ago in the same time frame. Half of Yellowstone was closed due to snow and the low lying clouds in Teton and Yellowstone blocked all the view. The going-to-the-sun road in Glacier will be closed.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Snowman9000 wrote:
I added this question to the first post.

Do weather Do weather Do weather , but know, we start our garden in March.
But as was said, spring comes late in the high country. We did Brice Canyon one year in June, on a cold misty Rainey day mixed with sleet. next year we were hoping for better pictures in June and it was 83 and clear as it can get.

And remember the weathermen only get the weather right 50% of the time ๐Ÿ™‚
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Barb and I did our 2016 trip starting 15 march to 20 April, all the parks were open except Mesa Verde national. there wasn't any snow, but the park was closed because of no rangers.
My advice on the Grand Canyon, camp in Williams Az, take the train up to the park. stay the night if you wish. but don't try to drive up, parking is very restrictive/limited. Busses in the visitor center run often all over the park.

BUT

bring money, it's what keeps the park green ๐Ÿ™‚
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
On a mid-may loop up northern California on 101 to the northwest Oregon coast, then let's say back 97 and 395 to Reno, I would say most years the roads are clear of snow. But, It can be cold and wet and not the best time of year to go after a bucket item.

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
Pacific coast should be good, I would think. I would consider going all the way to Washington and visit the Ho Rain Forest on the Olympic Peninsula. The Oregon coast is pretty darned good by itself though.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE