cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Vanlifers are parting ways with their vans after Covid

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
https://jalopnik.com/vanlifers-are-parting-ways-with-their-vans-as-the-world-1847308157

Interesting article with a few photos. This does not affect me.
10 REPLIES 10

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
Deb and Ed M wrote:
โ€ฆ snipโ€ฆ
Personally, Covid (and my lack of building a true "kitchen" in my van) made me sell my own conversion, and then pick up a used truck camper for our limited travels. I feel a lot better about having a $3500 camper sitting doing nothing, than a very expensive van.
Good point, but if I had a $3500 truck camper sitting doing nothing Iโ€™d need a $35,0000 truck doing nothing next to it :B.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
Having done a camper conversion on a Transit T-250, I follow several van-building sites. I see them all - the vans that are superbly-built for off-grid stays; down to the "1997 RAM van-turned-tiny-house" destined to leave its owner stranded when something lethal happens to the motor or chassis.

I see some folks selling their vans simply because this is one of those crazy times when the vans haven't really gone down in price in spite of being a year or so old - but it sure feels like even more people are getting into it simply because they can't afford the prices of apartments or homes.

Ironically, I'm also seeing some manufacturers watching the trends in van conversions, and then offering those features in Class Bs (The Winnebago Ekko come to mind). I'm also happy to see various floorplans that offer 80" long beds - Ed is 6'3" and simply didn't fit in most previous Class B beds.

Personally, Covid (and my lack of building a true "kitchen" in my van) made me sell my own conversion, and then pick up a used truck camper for our limited travels. I feel a lot better about having a $3500 camper sitting doing nothing, than a very expensive van.
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
โ€œ#vanlifeโ€ has very little do with a vagabond lifestyle, but a LOT to do with monetized social media channels / sites.

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah but donโ€™t expect prices to drop for a while. When we moved to a Class B 3 years ago my wife said โ€œMaybe we can use the Explorer and hotelsโ€. Now, if we plan to leave home for a night itโ€™s โ€œIโ€™ll get a reservation for the van on the boat (to the mainland)โ€. I think a lot of Class B owners realize that itโ€™s the only way to travel, regardless of Covid.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
mr_andyj wrote:

Who wants your dirty van that is amateurishly built? I wonder how cheap they have to be sold to get rid of them. I see a lot of bad builds with some ugly carpentry. Pet peve is the thick flooring planks screwed into the walls and ceiling. IDK how much 100's of lbs that adds, but if not done right looks hacked anyway, if done right looks nice but adds so much weight. 2x4's is my next pet peeve. Those are for houses, not little campers. What one man is willing to compromise on might not fit what a buyer wants to lack..

You have a lot of "peeves"...:W

Why look at the "amateurishly built"?...:S

LOTS of *quality* van conversions.....even (gasp!) built by women!

Unlike the lengthy (why bother?) SNL link - YouTube has LOTS of top notch van conversions, with quality craftsmanship and "appropriate" materials other than 2 x 4s....ROTFLMAO.

Ditto the Ambulance conversions! Check out the original construction of *any* ambulance "box" and you may catch on.

Don't have either - but (IMO) plenty are VERY well done!

:W

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II

mr_andyj
Explorer
Explorer
lol. there is a reason people live in houses I guess. Vanlife is hard and dirty and lonely at times and not always glamorous. It is luxury when traveling and friends are in cars and you in a mansion, but when friends return to their house you are still in the dirty van.
No, I doubt prices drop. Understand we have experienced a heavy inflation period and prices will not return to prior amounts. It will get worse.
Who wants your dirty van that is amateurishly built? I wonder how cheap they have to be sold to get rid of them. I see a lot of bad builds with some ugly carpentry. Pet peve is the thick flooring planks screwed into the walls and ceiling. IDK how much 100's of lbs that adds, but if not done right looks hacked anyway, if done right looks nice but adds so much weight. 2x4's is my next pet peeve. Those are for houses, not little campers. What one man is willing to compromise on might not fit what a buyer wants to lack..

QCMan
Nomad III
Nomad III
We can hope that with the students returning to in person learning and companies calling back workers to work in their offices we see something close to what used to be. In April we booked a trip out west to Utah and some of the spots we picked to stay going and coming back told me that we were taking the last spot available. The trip is for October! Some places we called had no sites available.

2020 Keystone Cougar 22RBS, Ram 1500, two Jacks and plenty of time to roam!
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. A.E.
Good Sam Life Member

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
It would be nice to see RV prices drop and CG availability improve. Perhaps things are turning the corner.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III