cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Was retirement for you a good or not so good choice?

winnietrey
Explorer
Explorer
I understand, and do not question, the reason folks retire. Job stress, health, want to do something different.

For some I think, it was the best thing they ever did, for others not so much.

I think, I fall in the latter category. I like my job, I have no real hobbies, I enjoy all that much. I take a lot of time off, and travel, we are healthy. I think for me, retirement could be one of the worst things I could do. Just wondering if anyone else feels the same. With my personality I think I would be bored stiff
156 REPLIES 156

Larry-D
Explorer II
Explorer II
It was until I got bored and went back to work full-time. Now it looks even better.

Dog_Trainer
Explorer
Explorer
Sold my Manufacturing business in 2001 and worked for the new owners for 2 years. I then decided I was too young to retire so I started a Dog training business. 12 years and 2800 dogs later , at the age of 63 I hung it all up and retired completely. I had more dog training business than I could do but decided it was time to go play. I now spend my time between Michigan in the spring - Fall and Florida for the winter. No regrets at all.
2016 Newmar Baystar 3401
2011 HHR Toad
Daktari & Lydia Cavalier King Charles , Annie get your guns, our English setter (fur Bearing Children)

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^Yeah, want to be like this guy!
Hats off to you Samson!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

samsontdog
Explorer
Explorer
Thats the most feed back I have seen in years {16 pages} I worked 40 yrs to the day for the same Company and retired 18 yrs ago. i dont regret retiring one sec.
I have a bunch of rentals that keep me busy plus we travel a lot. I would never work for anyone ever again plus I am too **** old. Married 60 years and we still love camping
samsontdog:o:W

luberhill
Explorer
Explorer
Wife is retiring this year from teaching 33 yrs, she is 62, Iโ€™m 59 but my job allows me to work out of my house, on the road one day or so a week, we have no kids and nice savings and no debt.
I make 6 figures a yr so itโ€™s hard to walk away from that knowing what I put in a week but soon I will,
Weโ€™d like to buy the right even and travel with our dog, both in good health and love to run, bike, and hike
She will have a decent pension and with our savings I dont see us needing any additional incones
2013 Winnebago Sunstar 26HE

3_dog_nights
Explorer
Explorer
Planned to retire for years, 55 was the goal. 2008! 2012 I was back in the black and out the door. Played for a year, did a lot of volunteer work for the next 3 and have been traveling since. No regrets!
Bob & Lynn
2 Chihuahua's, Ella, Gracie

was-2013 Open Range 424RLS,06' Chevy 3500, dually, Duramax/Allison

also was - 2015 Winnebago Adventurer 37F, towing 2003 Jeep Wrangler

now - 2021 NoBo 19.5, 2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL (Talk about downsizing!)

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
goducks10 wrote:
Better to die with memories than dreams.
Never a truer quote.

Money can't buy you more time on earth.

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
I retired at 60 1/2. Carpenter for 43 years. In December of 09 boss told me he only had 2 jobs on the books the one I was on and one that wouldn't start till August.
Desided it was time to put the tools away. Put in for my retirement let the young guys fight for the jobs.
Retired March 1st. Bought a used,5th wheel the 19 March and hit the road April 19.
We,DW and I now have 6000 hours each volunteering with USFWS,USFS,USACE and a couple state parks.
Can't think of a better way to spend our retirement.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
Retirement is great! Now, in the winter I spend my free time skiing, as many as 70 days a season. In the summer, RVing is a big thing, but there are so many other things to do as well. Hiking, summer concerts, catching up on the house maintenance, etc, etc.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

jensenst
Explorer
Explorer
We semi retired at 54 and 48 13 years ago. Traveled all over the country. My wife is a CPA she has worked doing taxes for the same firm she was a tax manager for our house in Black Mtn NC. We don't have any pensions just investments and a rental unit. Best time of our life. leaving on a 3 1/2 month trip to Alaska in July

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Paying off the mortgage is a great idea before retirement. I still have a small mortagage at 2 7/8%. I have rental properties that are appreciating at between 8-15% a year.

rightlaneonly
Explorer
Explorer
mabynack wrote:
jplante4 wrote:
I see a common thread in this thread. A lot of us watched our parents'generation work until they died or became infirmed and said "That's not happening to me".

I just didn't want to be on my death bed saying "I wish I had ______".

That's definitely my case. My father and father-in-law both worked until they had throat cancer and were too sick to do anything. Neither one ever got to enjoy retirement. Both grandfathers died at work.

My dad always talked about buying an RV and driving the ALCAN. He and my mom even started buying stuff for the RV, but never got to take the trip.

I did it a little different, I watched friends and family work till they dropped or retire and move where they wanted and then drop. I left SO. Ca at the age of 28 and moved to the Motherlode foothills of central ca. Took a huge cut in pay but have been here 50 years now and loved every minute of it. (Money ain't everything but it does help.) Never made a lot of money but was able to retire at 62. I had asked my much younger boss for two weeks of my 4 weeks of vacation and was told only 1 week, when I asked for ten consecutive days he said "what part of 1 week don't you understand, so I said what part of I quit (retired) do you need explained? Never regretted it and have had many wonderful trips in the RV from local to cross country including the train (that's another story)We're slowing down now but still camping but staying closer to home. My advice, do it as soon as you can, if you wait for enough money, there will never be enough.
Lee & Jane
Ford died once to often.
Replaced with 2019 GMC Canyon
Aliner, soon to be gone.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Better to die with memories than dreams.

PghBob
Explorer
Explorer
There is a book written on the topic "Your Money or Your Life", that is deemed by many to be a classic. Essentially, you trade your time on this planet for money. Because RVing is an expensive hobby, it could delay retirement. Yet, most folks, especially seniors like me, would much rather have more time to do what I want rather than be employed. I was able to retire at age 55, and have not regretted doing so. I wish I knew when I was younger (age 20 or so), what I knew in my 30s, perhaps I could have retired even sooner. Think of your retirement dreams before buying more TVs, electronic gizmos, tickets to sporting events, new cars/trucks, lottery tickets, and extras you don't need to survive or enjoy life. Save Save Save. Live below your means and retire early.