cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Water Faucets at campgrounds

SuzzeeeQ2012
Explorer
Explorer
There is a water faucet that says "no cleaning or washing" on it. I think it's for filling water jugs, and RVs.
People are constantly washing their feet, hands, etc. in it.

So, I said something to someone doing this.

"Oh, I'm only rinsing"
1997 HR Endeavor Turbo Diesel
58 REPLIES 58

eric1514
Explorer
Explorer
Naio wrote:
..At home we wash food, dishes and hands -- and get drinking water -- all from one faucet, so why not here?

Because "here" there is no drain and all the food stuffs that would go down your home drain just end up on a pile of rocks where they rot, stink and attract insects.
2006 Dynamax Isata IE 250
420 Ah batteries
400w Solar

Naio
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wow. Cranky peoples in this thread.

I think it's an education issue. For most people a sign that only says 'No washing of stuff' is inexplicable. Why on earth not? What else is a water tap for? At home we wash food, dishes and hands -- and get drinking water -- all from one faucet, so why not here?
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

whiteeye42
Explorer
Explorer
(Can you people say paranoid) What difference does it make as long as the water is running nothing can jump back and go into the faucet or water lines if it bother you that much carry a bottle of bleach and spray it off before using it becides that all potable water has to be checked to make sure it is safe all municipal water systems has to pass inspection weather it is in your house or a campground also if it is at a campground with a well the owners have to take a sample once a month and have it tested
Me,Wife two boys and two dogs
2008 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4x4 DRW 6.7 cummins
2008 Jayco Eagle 341 RLQS 37' with B&W turnover ball & companion hitch
using rotochoks
add state map

Slownsy
Explorer
Explorer
You are talking ancient history and To the best of my knowledge America was colonized by the Europeans so must have bean polluted before u was borne. I do hope u showered before entering the stream so u didn't pollute it.
Frank.
Frank
2012 F250 XLT
4x4 Super Cab
8' Tray 6.2lt, 3.7 Diff.

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
Slownsy wrote:
I take a bit of offense to the posting that is al the Europeans that has polluted your water I believe it more likely to be Americans. I was born in Europe and newer did se any body empty their suer out the windows. We actually had flushing toilets.
Frank.

In London before it was established and elsewhere, they emptied their chamber pots out of their windows, into the gutters. There are many many accounts of this and of people getting dumped on splattered etc.
Their wells were contaminated leading to many diseases and deaths. They did not know there were such things as germs. Many accounts of them only taking a bath once a year at that. When Native Americans met them they complained of their stink. The Natives bathed every day. As to modern time simply visit Ontario etc and South America. It seems hygene is a foreign thing to them and polluting of water ways is what they are for to them. The French doused themselves with so much cologne to cover their body odors from not bathing. No offense to you intended. It is common history.

Bucky_Badger
Explorer
Explorer
All this because someone was rinsing their feet....omg.
2010 F150 5.4, 3.55, 4x4, Equli-z-er Hitch
2007 Forest River Salem 27RB LE
and
2009 Nomad 3980

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
SuzzeeeQ2012 wrote:
There is a water faucet that says "no cleaning or washing" on it. I think it's for filling water jugs, and RVs.
People are constantly washing their feet, hands, etc. in it.

So, I said something to someone doing this.

"Oh, I'm only rinsing"

Sooooooo - is this a water rant??

Or a rinsing rant?? - - or an FYI??..:@..:@

~

Slownsy
Explorer
Explorer
I take a bit of offense to the posting that is al the Europeans that has polluted your water I believe it more likely to be Americans. I was born in Europe and newer did se any body empty their suer out the windows. We actually had flushing toilets.
Frank.
Frank
2012 F250 XLT
4x4 Super Cab
8' Tray 6.2lt, 3.7 Diff.

mosseater
Explorer II
Explorer II
noplace2 wrote:
mosseater wrote:
I still don't understand why people don't get that it's a protected potable water source. It's why third world countries have the troubles they do.

And you sir, need to understand how privileged you are.

Maybe you could enlighten me as to exactly what I said that elicited your response? I know precisely how priviledged I am. That was the reason I stated what I did. We work hard to have clean water sources in this country. Why should we be ambivalent to those who would so easily and thoughtlessly endanger water supplies? That was what I meant. What is YOUR point, please?
"It`s not important that you know all the answers, it`s only important to know where to get all the answers" Arone Kleamyck
"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper
Sunset Creek 298 BH

noplace2
Explorer
Explorer
mosseater wrote:
I still don't understand why people don't get that it's a protected potable water source. It's why third world countries have the troubles they do.

And you sir, need to understand how privileged you are.
โ€˜Love is whatโ€™s in the room with you if you stop opening presents and listen.โ€™ - Elain - age 8

mosseater
Explorer II
Explorer II
I still don't understand why people don't get that it's a protected potable water source. It's why third world countries have the troubles they do. I don't want someone starting up a pig farm or landfill upstream from my established well. Why would I want someone to clean gut fish or clean dirty dishes in a source of drinking water for an entire campground? I'm not up for the parasites and bacteria for no apparent reason. Contamination comes in many forms. Why encourage it?
"It`s not important that you know all the answers, it`s only important to know where to get all the answers" Arone Kleamyck
"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper
Sunset Creek 298 BH

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
As a child, I spent much of my time, almost all summers at Grand Ma's. I swam in the creek and drank from it and numerous springs near it or in the woods. Now days almost all water is contaminated by cattle, pets, and humans and their sweage and garbage. The creek, I drank from and many streams in the are are contaminated by chicken houess and a most favorite rive ,that Dad grew up around and was safe for all use has it's waters, near the head of the stream contaminated by direct discharge of a chicken processing plant. The lake downstream is posted to not eat many of the fish nor any fish sometimes.
We have no concern for people downstream nor ourselves. The Europeans dumped their sewage from their windows down into gutters in the street. Apparently they brought these ideas with them. Foreign owned firms or all firms could care less about environment. They drink water distilled on the estates or alcahol instead. the bad water is the reason the French and Germans and others took to drinking beer and wine, even the children, even at the table, or any time instead of water. They mad the water unsafe.

Pangaea_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
A bit off topic, but I saw a sign in a Forks, WA gas station restroom that read:

CLEANING OF GAME PROHIBITED IN THE RESTROOM
2008 Itasca SunCruiser 35L
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

martipr
Explorer
Explorer
TomHaycraft wrote:
Glad I don't have a propensity to worry about those things. Might also be why I have a strong immune system and don't get sick. And yes, I drank out of garden hoses when growing up!

X2. I am 74 years old and grew up before we were told that every thing in the world is deadly so things didn't hurt us. I cut my teeth on a crib rail painted with lead paint, drink out of the water hose, ate unwrapped candy that had been in my pocket all day, drank untreated well water from a community dipper, even drank unpasteurized milk, etc, etc. I had the common childhood diseases but have never had any of the horrible things that come from other than bottled water (which mostly is just tap water with a champagne price for the gullible). In fact I just had a glass of tea made from campground water. Guess I'll die tomorrow.
Old Navy Chief (AOC) Retired Aircraft Mechanic/Inspector
2007 29' 27FBV Trail Bay V Series
2015 Dodge Ram 2500 Crew Cab 6.7 Cummins Diesel
Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam Hitch