Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

water filter for taste and smell

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi all,

Does anyone know of a system that can get rid of both taste and smell while allowing enough water flow for a shower?

Thanks in advance.

Seasons Greetings to all!
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.
17 REPLIES 17

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Techwriter, It also has a Galley tank.

For myself, the fresh water tank would be an easy fix with an RO slowly filling it. But the end user is not me.

It needs to be a set up that is user friendly and not require a lot of intervention.

The users have already managed to overflow the galley tank--as they did not know where the drain valve was located.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
TechWriter wrote:
pianotuna wrote:
Does anyone know of a system that can get rid of both taste and smell while allowing enough water flow for a shower?

I put a lot of filtration on my old Class A, and to ensure adequate water pressure I just made sure to turn on my water pump and shower on my water tank supply.

Don't you have the same option?

I don't know if using the tank is an option. It is a fifth wheel that will not be moved anytime soon. It does solve any flow rate problems.

This is not an area where I'm knowledgeable.

I believe your 5th wheel will have a gray, a black, and a water tank.
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
TechWriter wrote:
pianotuna wrote:

I put a lot of filtration on my old Class A, and to ensure adequate water pressure I just made sure to turn on my water pump and shower on my water tank supply.

I don't know if using the tank is an option. It is a fifth wheel that will not be moved anytime soon. It does solve any flow rate problems.

This is not an area where I'm knowledgeable.
Regards, Don

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
pianotuna wrote:
Second Chance wrote:
A filter that will eliminate tastes and smell and permit enough flow for a shower doesn't exist in a size suitable for RVs. We installed one of these under the sink for drinking and cooking. It works really well. It's the ceramic shell and carbon block (not granules) that makes the difference:

Under-sink filter

Rob

I found a charcoal with a flow rate of 4 gallons per minute. I think showers come in at about 2 to 3 gallons per minute.

Granulated charcoal and carbon block aren't the same.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
2oldman wrote:
What sort of taste and odor are we talking about? Must be kinda bad if a shower is a problem.

I have not been there yet--but apparently the water stinks badly.

It may be that they are not using a hose intended for potable water.

I'll know more after January 7th.
Regards, Don

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Second Chance wrote:
A filter that will eliminate tastes and smell and permit enough flow for a shower doesn't exist in a size suitable for RVs. We installed one of these under the sink for drinking and cooking. It works really well. It's the ceramic shell and carbon block (not granules) that makes the difference:

Under-sink filter

Rob

I found a charcoal with a flow rate of 4 gallons per minute. I think showers come in at about 2 to 3 gallons per minute.
Regards, Don

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
FWC wrote:
You may want to check that Pentek filter - pretty sure they are made in China ;).

Simplest option is one of the inline hose thread activated carbon water filters for city water and tank filling. That won't help if the issue is your hot water heater though.

Last ones bought were Made In USA, would not surprise me if they changed to China as it's hard for them to compete.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:

2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
I fill the 5er with tap water, from the Colorado, and it's plenty good for showers, dishes etc. and also for drinking but we usually fill jugs at the RO machines for drinking. I have a 20" 1 mic. whole house filter at home, for sediment, and a carbon filter for the frig water. I will use a 1/2 mic/carbon for the frig the next time I change and I think that would work for an RV AND the shower.
I used 1/2mic/carbon when I serviced ice and coffee machines... that's what all the soda machine use. FWIW, the 1/2 mic filters make a noticeable improvement over 1 mic filters, in taste, by taking out more particulate. I can sure tell the difference, anyway. Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
What sort of taste and odor are we talking about? Must be kinda bad if a shower is a problem.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
just fill your on board tank with fresh filtered water. then use that with full force for the shower.
bumpy

FWC
Explorer
Explorer
You may want to check that Pentek filter - pretty sure they are made in China ;).

Simplest option is one of the inline hose thread activated carbon water filters for city water and tank filling. That won't help if the issue is your hot water heater though.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Hereโ€™s a Christmas wishโ€ฆ.if only Amz oil made water filtersโ€ฆ.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have a 3/4" whole house filter in my RV that filters everything. I use the US Made

Pentair Pentek FloPlus-10 Carbon Water Filter, 10-Inch, Under Sink Modified Molded Carbon Block Replacement Cartridge, 10" x 2.5", 0.5 Micron $22.99 from AMAZON or Discount Filter Store whoever is cheapest.

I run mine three months at full time use with no loss of flow. Water tastes GREAT. Here is my Anode after 5 years of fulltime usage. How much the filter has to do with this who knows.

Unfortunately the filter price has nearly doubles over the last 5 years but there is no way I will use a CHEAP Chinese filter for my drinking water!!!!!

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD