cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Water for electric only locations

CRS001
Explorer
Explorer
We are looking at staying at more state parks which have electric only sites. We have only been using full hook up location and want save some costs. We don't want to haul water from home or back enough bottle water for washing etc. So the question is what water access is there to fill the water tanks at these parks, in general? Do you just pull up to any spigot, is there water access at the entrance?

Just beginner
RobertSt
32 REPLIES 32

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
I always leave home with a full fresh tank, and a couple of 6 gallon containers too.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
I usually store my 50 gallon tank with about a half gallon of water and a table spoon of bleach and sloshing it around before storage. When ready to use I give if a quick rinse and then fill it. It's already sanitized and never has any mold in it.

I do the same with my 15 gallon barrels and aquatainers but only use about a quart of water and tablespoon of bleach in them when storing.

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
travelnutz wrote:
We vote for bringing our own water and using it wisely and then leaving it behind at the dump stations. Our home water is pure and truly tasteless but many other locations have horrible tasting water and some that smell like swamp water or rotten eggs and taking a shower with that stuff makes you stink worse after than before the shower!

X3.

Also, while there may be spigots at public campgrounds, that doesn't mean you can just fill up your tank from them. Many do not have the water system infrastructure to fill everyone's fresh water tank. Some have limited water, some have old outdated systems. And having seen photos of the water tanks at some of these parks, I will tell you that it is NOT an appealing prospect to drink from them. There's a reason why RVs have fresh water tanks - so you can bring your water with you.

General observation: if they don't have flush toilets, you shouldn't be filling your fresh water tank there regardless of spigots.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree wrote:
Green algae is growing in the tank.

I guess I could store the tank empty, but worry it might grow mildew which could be dangerous, compared to algae which is harmless.

Ergo, the reason I prefer multiple 7 gal Aquatainers - inexpensive, lightweight, made of food grade plastic, cubed shaped so they don't fall over and are easy to store, threaded main cap & threaded vent cap which don't leak. 4 or 5 of these 7 gal 'Tainers are plenty for us and when not in use I hang 'em on the garage wall with the caps off so they can dry thoroughly inside - never any issues with mold, mildew, algae, nada. :B

2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
travelnutz wrote:
We vote for bringing our own water and using it wisely and then leaving it behind at the dump stations. Our home water is pure and truly tasteless but many other locations have horrible tasting water and some that smell like swamp water or rotten eggs and taking a shower with that stuff makes you stink worse after than before the shower!

x2 on that. I enjoy the taste of my well water and it's often shocking how much chemical taste campground water (city water?) has.

a few problems I've run into with my big tank:

Now that the Sun is finally out in Northern Michigan, the water in the tank is holding around 80F. I purchased some mylar space blankets to somehow shield the tank, maybe keep it cooler and help with problem number two

Green algae is growing in the tank. I must have not completely sterilized it after purchase (it sat outside the tractor store with its lid off for a long time before I brought it home). I'll hit it again with bleach or peroxide and scrub the algae out, and then hopefully the space blankets will keep it dark.

I guess I could store the tank empty, but worry it might grow mildew which could be dangerous, compared to algae which is harmless.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

travelnutz
Explorer II
Explorer II
A superb CC LB 4X4, GM HD Diesel, airbags, Rancho's, lots more
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch
29 ft Carriage Carri-lite 5'er - a specially built gem
A like new '07 Sunline Solaris 26' TT

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Fifth wheel or travel trailer?

I love rustic campgrounds, they're usually a lot less busy, quieter and have minimal "loop tourists" unlike State Parks

Here's my solution:

65 gallon sprayer tank from the tractor store

As far as weight goes, I'm basically towing a tall plywood box down the road, a few extra lbs of water in the trunk isn't hurting the already terrible MPG.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

travelnutz
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just remember that your gray and black holding tanks will only hole so much and when full, need to be dumped anyway unless you have sewer hookup right on your site. Nearly all state parks we've been to over the last 52+ years have fresh water available and also have a dump station too. Same for most NP CG's, county or local CG's also. With water hookup at the site with no sewer hookup, the holding tanks will fill so much quicker!

We always travel with full fresh water tanks and empty gray and black tanks and why not? That's why the tanks are there and you simply transfer the fresh water after using to the other 2 tanks and then dump'em! We very seldom stay at full hookup CG's as the sites are almost always tight as heck as it's almost a must for cost to build or for distance to the sewage ponds or public sewer hooking if in a city type area. That's too "trailer parky" like for us or just a mobile home park on a smaller scale. Give us elbow room and nature not a clear view of the RV on either side of us a few feet away or the ones in front or behind us.

Fussy old farts, aren't we?
A superb CC LB 4X4, GM HD Diesel, airbags, Rancho's, lots more
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch
29 ft Carriage Carri-lite 5'er - a specially built gem
A like new '07 Sunline Solaris 26' TT

cmarkj
Explorer
Explorer
Some state parks and a lot of COE parks have enough taps all over, within a hose length or two, that you can always refill straight from the tap into you fresh tank.
I also carry a 35 gal water approved Ag tanks that I can pump out of.
Always looking for the perfect site.

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
Also be aware that if you are travelling very far and in particular crossing state lines, the rest areas and welcome centers usually have spigots, You can leave home with a half tank to save weight and when possible top off near your destination there or at a truck stop.

CRS001
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies and ideas. Some of this I have thought about but figured I would ask. Thanks again.
RobertSt

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
I carry a couple of Aquatainers in our coach as well, but I have our onboard pump plumbed so that just flipping a valve allows it to be used to suction fill the fresh tank.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

DavidP
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
DavidP wrote:
I use two 7 gallon aquatainers and a 12 volt pump with filter on output side to fill the tank. All parks are different but at some point you will need to refill. Lots of info on here with different methods to do that. Most SP's have a water source(s)to fill tanks. It is more about what works for you to gather it.

This. ๐Ÿ˜‰ I've always carried four 7 gal Aquatainers in the back of my Avalanche for collecting fresh water from wherever the campground supply may be, recently replaced the Av with another Silverado so I just bought a fifth 'Tainer which means I can now collect 35 gals each time.

Back at the camper I too use a pump to transfer the water into the trailer's FW holding tank.

I too use a battery box for my pump. Very similar set-up.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
DavidP wrote:
I use two 7 gallon aquatainers and a 12 volt pump with filter on output side to fill the tank. All parks are different but at some point you will need to refill. Lots of info on here with different methods to do that. Most SP's have a water source(s)to fill tanks. It is more about what works for you to gather it.

This. ๐Ÿ˜‰ I've always carried four 7 gal Aquatainers in the back of my Avalanche for collecting fresh water from wherever the campground supply may be, recently replaced the Av with another Silverado so I just bought a fifth 'Tainer which means I can now collect 35 gals each time.

Back at the camper I too use a pump to transfer the water into the trailer's FW holding tank.

2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
"We don't want to haul water from home or back enough bottle water for washing etc."

Why? If you find a great dry spot you won't be able to stop for a day or two while saving little on gasoline etc. What if the campground shuts off its water for one reason or another? You are sunk...until you find some water. Camping in the West at great BLM, USFS, USF&W spots doesn't always come with fresh water.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad