cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Water for electric only locations

CRS001
Explorer
Explorer
We are looking at staying at more state parks which have electric only sites. We have only been using full hook up location and want save some costs. We don't want to haul water from home or back enough bottle water for washing etc. So the question is what water access is there to fill the water tanks at these parks, in general? Do you just pull up to any spigot, is there water access at the entrance?

Just beginner
RobertSt
32 REPLIES 32

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
I've been told that the only thing that is not illegal to dump on California highways is feathers. I did not verify this information.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

4x4van
Explorer III
Explorer III
I actually agree that grey water dumped or dribbled onto the ground in remote areas or even well-dispersed campgrounds poses no environmental threat whatsoever (black water? Hmmm...not gonna go there, especially for those that use chemicals). I'm just stating the fact that it CAN lead to hefty fines. At Glamis, you are prohibited from dumping grey water (BLM rules), even though you are camping in the desert, in sand dunes. Of course, BLM also requires spark arrestors on ALL BLM land, even in the desert and sand dunes where there is nothing to burn. It is easier for them to have one blanket set of rules to cover every area, rather than specific rules for specific areas. A friend received a $300 fine for dumping grey water, even though we all know that it was actually not harmful in any way, and he was in fact "dribbling" it slowly into a hole in the sand.

At one time, it was legal to dump your grey water while traveling down the highway in CA; not sure if that's still the case. And of course, the "no grey dumping" rule doesn't apply to small camping trailers that do not have a grey tank, nor does it apply to tent campers. I've been told that the difference is that once the grey water is held in a tank, "stewing" so to speak, it changes the dynamics (at least legally).
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
GordonThree wrote:
During dispersed camping I leave the gray valve open and drain through an old garden hose to a spot several feet behind the RV.

Never had an issue with odor, bugs or flooded ground.

Just how much gray water do the folks who are worried about it generate?

My comments above were concerned with folks waiting to drain the gray until they had several days worth of grey water and then dumping "in bulk". I think the way you do it is fine as it's no more at a time than a tent camper would dump.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
During dispersed camping I leave the gray valve open and drain through an old garden hose to a spot several feet behind the RV.

Never had an issue with odor, bugs or flooded ground.

Just how much gray water do the folks who are worried about it generate?
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
I've heard it suggested to dig a hole a foot or so deep, then drain the grey tank slow enough to avoid over-topping the hole, and once it soaks in, replace the dirt. No chance of odors, no grease or food particles on the surface to attract bugs, etc.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
Grit dog wrote:
Just providing options in the "right" conditions. Ive found that if you're in "civilization" that water sources and dump sources are plentiful. But when you got the camper un hooked 50 miles from the nearest 1 horse town, 40 gal of dishwater on the ground is the best option.

A friend's chinook pees. There is no grey or black tank, so when she uses the sink (there is no toilet), the water comes right out from underneath. That amount of water at a time is negligible.

If I needed to dump my grey tank while camped at a campground (not boondocking), I would do a little bit at a time like that. I wouldn't do all 20 gallons (or more) at once - even going into the bushes. Whether I go into the bushes doesn't mean no one does. The dog smelling or seeing something, or a thrown ball or frisbee, and you're wading through a marsh that you can't see due to the bushes.

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Just providing options in the "right" conditions. Ive found that if you're in "civilization" that water sources and dump sources are plentiful. But when you got the camper un hooked 50 miles from the nearest 1 horse town, 40 gal of dishwater on the ground is the best option.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
4x4van wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
Regarding grey water, if you're not in a crowded or populated campground, just dump it, if you're in the woods. A little shower water and dish water never hurt anything. Where do you think the campground sewer goes? Not to a treatment plant.....
I have drained grey, while out in the desert boondocking, but never in a campground regardless of how crowded or uncrowded it is. Grey water can stink even worse than black water, since it has food and skin particles in it and sits, "stewing", without chemicals in the tank. But more importantly, depending on where you're at, dumping grey water on the ground can get you a pretty hefty fine.

I knew this post would generate a little feedback, so let me explain......I'm not talking about flooding the grass in the middle of the KOA with month old dishwater. Besides any fhu campgrounds rv parks typically have dump stations. Yeah that's gross and very cousin eddy...ish.
However, if in more remote camp grounds (where we camp pretty much exclusively), 3 or 4 days worth of dish water and bath water doesn't stink, If you use SOAP. Little garden hose run off into the bushes where no one will walk thru it and some dry ground to soak it up is no harm no foul.
So yeah, boonie docking or remote ish campgrounds, I say no problem.
How many dump at home? Not talking a week long taco eating contest full black tank! but a black tank flush, dump out the gray water.....I do. My dogs, and the deer and elk poop and pee all over the yard, so same difference.

4x4van
Explorer III
Explorer III
Grit dog wrote:
Regarding grey water, if you're not in a crowded or populated campground, just dump it, if you're in the woods. A little shower water and dish water never hurt anything. Where do you think the campground sewer goes? Not to a treatment plant.....
I have drained grey, while out in the desert boondocking, but never in a campground regardless of how crowded or uncrowded it is. Grey water can stink even worse than black water, since it has food and skin particles in it and sits, "stewing", without chemicals in the tank. But more importantly, depending on where you're at, dumping grey water on the ground can get you a pretty hefty fine.
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
I carry the water but water does run out before the waste tanks are filled. When needed I carry 350' of that flat hose to reach the central spigot without moving the trailer. Has worked very well in Yosemite and Furnace Creek. Although generally we are back on the move before the fresh water runs out and dump/fill as we roll.

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
I do not base our site selection on where the water tap is. I'd much rather haul water than give up a great view or other desirable features to be within reach of a tap. If a tap happens to be close enough to reach with a hose, that's great, but I won't go out of my way to make it happen.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
I carry 400 feet of hose and make sure our site is within that distance to the nearest communal tap. Our holding tank capacity is way more than fresh capacity so we can get a week if we use the bath house even a little. I don't leave it hooked up of course. Just for early morning refills if needed.
I did the tank and pump routine with a former TT but find extra hoses easier.
Puma 30RKSS

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Don't over complicate it. You got a rv with a water tank so you can bring water....
If a couple few hundred pounds extra water weight is an issue then you have bigger problems.
For refilling if the camper is off the truck I've been using one of my wake board ballast bags and ballast pump. Folds up, I can stuff a 600 lb bag and pump under one side of the back seat of the pickup. Super handy. Just fill up with water whenever you need it and pump out 60-70 gal into the camper in like 2 minutes. About $100 can get you a 2 way pump, hose and a 400 to 1100lb bag.

path1
Explorer
Explorer
On the more realistic side...I carry 2 three gallon plastic jugs. Walk over and fill them at water spicket for most of the time. Same size that fits into machine at water vending machine at shopping center.

Wife and I use about gallon a day each. At end of second day, (bringing in 6 gallons a day) there is enough water for showers every other day or make 2 trips a day carrying 6 gallon.

Sometimes getting rid of grey water is the hassle.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"