cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Water hoses for drinking

dave_330
Explorer
Explorer
does any one out there use any special hoses other than normal garden hoes?
80 REPLIES 80

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
Amounts leached out in the eco center report are only useful for comparing materials tested under the same condition; they are not useful in assessing how much exposure one will get under normal use (unless you let your water soak in the hose for 48hrs before drinking).
Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (retired), Grant (semi retired), Lee, Fern & Hattie
Duke & Penny (Anatolians) home guarding the flock
2001 Chevy Express 2500 Cargo (rolling kennel)
2007 Nash 22M

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Welp, think I've heard it all. And didn't make it past the first page. "Same brand" of bottled water or you can tell the difference in yer coffee?
And yeah I bought a white hose for the odd time we have a hookup, mainly to not get it confused with the green hose I carry to drain the gray tank into the neighbors campsite!

At home I use whatever's hooked to the spigot to fill the tank.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Hudsoner
Explorer
Explorer
The newest research should put the question to rest, whether or not to use a "normal" water hose for potable water.
The above mentioned Canadian tests show only certain VOC's are leached out of water pipes, they do not discuss the amounts of the leached out VOC's, and they also do not discuss the characteristics of those VOC's that might or might not consist of hydrocarbons.

http://www.ecocenter.org/healthy-stuff/reports/garden-hose-report-2016

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
If you're worried about what is leaching out of the plastic hoses into the water you're drinking why are you not also worried about what is leaching out of the buried plastic water lines that feed the spigot that the hose is connected to?

"out of sight out of mind"

Volatile organic components migrating from plastic pipes (HDPE, PEX and PVC) into drinking water
A study on organotin levels in Canadian drinking water distributed through PVC pipes
Identification of organic compounds migrating from polyethylene pipelines into drinking water
Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (retired), Grant (semi retired), Lee, Fern & Hattie
Duke & Penny (Anatolians) home guarding the flock
2001 Chevy Express 2500 Cargo (rolling kennel)
2007 Nash 22M

rwjejits
Explorer
Explorer
Have any of yall looked at or cut open water pipes in your home that are 10+ years old.....or got some air in the lines and observed what comes out soon aftetwards? Then think about the age and quality of these at most RV parks?

I'm no too worried about what color the fairly new flexible 25' hose is that makes the final connection to my trailer.
2004 Ford F250 6.0
OEM TTYs Still Tight
210+ and Pulls Great
Original Owner- Lawrence Marshall Ford - Hempsted, Tx. (Closed 2009)
SCT, SG2, Deletes, Pyro, Free Flowing Exhaust, Timbrens, ELC & Filter

2011 Keystone Laredo 245RL

Bitty
Explorer
Explorer
Just chiming in to say thanks for the helpful info, everyone! I'm starting out and was researching water hose options. I'd come across hoses from the "RV Water Filter Store" and was looking for confirmation it wasn't just hype. This made my decision!

babun
Explorer
Explorer

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
This is a popular subject.
We currently have a stainless machine end, lined with dark vinyl or whatever with silver in it, blue outside with reinforcement in the outside jacket.
The reasons for a lined hose is white hose lets light in and any algae etc in the water, now matter how little will grow in a white or clear hose lying in the sun. the lining stops the sun and the silver kills aor cuts down on any nasties that may be in the water.
The reason for the stainless ends or solid brass, either getting hard to find, is they don't bend or crush as easily as the stamped metal with brass plating that will leak the first second or third time etc you use the hose, and or blow off if the thin hose doesn't burst first when you hook up to 80 lb or higher pressure source, or even 40 lbs.
I've notices some hoses now resembling ours with aluminum ends that appear as machined and sometimes plated to look like stainless or nickel.
Brass plated stamped metal hose ends in addition corrode and when it feel gritty trying to connect up it may not seal. Use the pliers and it get worse net time because it bends.
So most people buy one and throw it away next trip or two or three and some report using the same one for years. I need them to do our taxes.
Carry a supply of good washers.
I haven't seen any more hoses like ours, but I haven't been looking. Have seen some similar but not lined.
I'm convinced I could make a fortune, with a big reel of the right hose material, and lots of stainless steel ends and hydraulic crimper, pressure tester and some training, going around to RV events, provided I could get it a good price and sell it at a profitable price, but not so high people would continue to by the throw away chinese stuff.
Then there is the filter thing. It could fill a whole forum.

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
I use four hoses:

#1 and #2 are white, have a Camco inline water filter connected between them, and are used for fresh water.

#3 is a typical green garden hose. It has a backflow preventer on both ends, and is used to flush out the macerator pump. It may not get bad water in it, but I don't take chances, thus the multiple check valves.

#4 is a black, oversize hose marked "NOT FOR POTABLE WATER". This hose is used for one thing, and one thing only... the hose from the macerator pump to the sewage line. I use a check valve to cap one end, and a cap on the other when not in use.

So far, this setup has worked well.

jmckelvy
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree wrote:

I fill the tank using a normal garden hose at home. I carry one of those expensive white hoses in case I end up at a full hookup CG.

Been drinking from a regular hose on and off for decades, haven't died yet.

I do likewise.

We are rarely attached to full hookups. Sometimes even then I don't hook up the water, particularly if we are staying only one night.
06 RAM 3500,Dually,CTD,Auto(ATS Stage 1),QC,4X4,PacBrake,Spyntec Freespin Hubs,60 Gal Titan Tank,EFI Live, Line-X,Torklifts and SuperHitch,Fastguns
2013 Arctic Fox 990, 275 Watts Solar, 2 Grp 31 AGMs
US Navy 1964-1968, 2-Tour Vietnam Vet

sljkansas
Explorer
Explorer
2 years ago I got tired or the junky water hose, where rhe fittings would leak and maybe last i season. I bought a 50 ft. water hose with crimped brass fittings and was good for 200 PSI it was pricey put I have not has any problems with it at all.

I ordered it from "the water filter store" on line. Around $100, but well worth it.
Steve & Linda
Son married (1 DIL, 3 granddaughters 1 grandson)
Daughter Married.
Miami Co. Kansas
2004 F350 CC dually 8ft bed 6.0 PSD
2009 Bighorn 3670RL
B&W under bed hitch with 18k companion hitch

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Garden hoses don't have a pressure rating. If you have a regulator inside, you should be using a high pressure hose. We have a regulator inside and use a Valterra high pressure hose rated for 160 psi. PW hoses up to 300 psi are available. CG pressure can easily exceed 100 psi and in some cases, up near 200 psi. We encountered 140 psi somewhere last season.

Some people are much more sensitive to the taste and odor of ordinary hoses. Food grade taste-free hoses made from a different material are available.

FWIW, article by a doctor on contaminants in ordinary hoses: http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2014/06/24/garden-hose-chemicals.aspx

Personally, I believe in the use of NSF certified PW hoses. But you should be much more concerned about what's potentially IN the water supply at the various CGs that you visit - organic and inorganic chemicals, viruses, microorganisms, heavy metal, pharmaceuticals, etc. We have 3-stage filtration down to 0.2 microns.

Goostoff
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
I have the same white hose since I started RV`ing 13 years ago. The white are made for drinking. Yes I too drink from a garden hose.....at home. but the water is always running and anything that leaches into the water has been flushed out!
Why use a garden hose when an RV specific hose is available for the same price? you can be stubborn all you want, but there is no good reason for using a garden hose for an RV. you can always tell a newbie because they pull out the hose that they took off the faucet from the yard and its all knotted up. it`s actually kinda fun to watch them try and unknot it and get all the kinks out!

I have 200 feet of Flexzilla in my trailer all nice and neatly wound on a garden hose reel. It stays in my trailer all year long. I have the same 200 feet of Flexzilla hanging on the side of my house. It gets drained in the winter and stays hanging on the side of the house all year long.

Now I may look like I grabbed the hose reel from the house and tossed it in but I can asure you I have 2 seperate systems and I am far from a noob. I have been camping all my life and have owned RV's of various shapes and sizes for the last 25 years.

Bring on the Ho Po. When they come knocking on my door and see what is waiting on the other side I am sure they will be needing that paper to wipe something else. ๐Ÿ˜›

EDIT: Figured I better add that this entire post was meant to be fun and entertaining. Please dont be offended in any way.
1993 Chevy C3500
2005 Cedar Creek 34RLTS

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have the same white hose since I started RV`ing 13 years ago. The white are made for drinking. Yes I too drink from a garden hose.....at home. but the water is always running and anything that leaches into the water has been flushed out!
Why use a garden hose when an RV specific hose is available for the same price? you can be stubborn all you want, but there is no good reason for using a garden hose for an RV. you can always tell a newbie because they pull out the hose that they took off the faucet from the yard and its all knotted up. it`s actually kinda fun to watch them try and unknot it and get all the kinks out!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!