cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Water leak

tex_wardfan
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a new 2016 Sonic by venture 190vrb on feb the 29th. I have yet to take it out for its first voyage. I went over this morning where I have it stored and found water on the floor in front of the kitchen sink and also water in the drawers right below the sink. I felt up at the water connections to the faucet and the hot side connector was also wet which is apparently where the water came from. Why did this not leak when they had pressure hooked up to the system during the make ready and did not show any signs of a leak until today. Also why are the faucets working if the battery is not hooked up. Thanks if you have any idea what is going on here.
2016 Sonic by Venture 190vrb
2007 Chevy Silverado 1500 4x4 4.8L V8
27 REPLIES 27

tex_wardfan
Explorer
Explorer
Well we took our first trip and after about 12 hours the leak reappeared. I re hand tightened it and the next day the same thing. I still have my appointment with the dealer on the 21st but i'm afraid he will just tighten it, pressure up the system ,there will be no leak and he will tell me its fixed. And even if I tell him the leak comes back after 12 hours he wont believe me. I hate to get a problem like this when everything else on the trailer is perfect.

gaymeadowsman
Explorer
Explorer
When we went out for our maiden trip we used our shower 3 times before we saw water dripping under the trailer. When i opened the access panel on front of the shower I found that the shower pan had never been connected to the the trap pipe. All the water that didn't "hit" the trap went into the insulation under the trailer. I fixed the drain,opened up the bottom of the trailer, pulled out wet insulation and carried it back to my dealer after our trip. Dealership owner got a very big ear full and then the service department got a bigger one. Check ALL of your drains. We got new insulation and chloroplast enclosure.
John ๐Ÿ˜›
Ted :R

in search of the next one
2010 Chevy Silverado Ext Cab LT
2015 Chevrolet Impala LT

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
tex wardfan wrote:
...can pressure build up in the system from a temperature change. That's all that's happened lately.

Yes, if the system was left filled with water. As temperature rises so does pressure.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

tex_wardfan
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:
I'd suggest to use a basin wrench on that fitting to make sure it's tight and secure.

A guy could assume that it wasn't tightened adequately when in manufacture and loosened from vibration. It will probably do the same with just a tightening by hand.

When you bring the trailer back to the dealer, have them tighten ALL the plumbing fittings. Since I don't trust anybody, I'd purposely loosen one to see if they got them all.

An alternative is to tighten them all yourself.

He told me since the fittings are plastic not to use any kind of tool on them. They aren't leaking now so I will just monitor them and see what happens.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
I'd suggest to use a basin wrench on that fitting to make sure it's tight and secure.

A guy could assume that it wasn't tightened adequately when in manufacture and loosened from vibration. It will probably do the same with just a tightening by hand.

When you bring the trailer back to the dealer, have them tighten ALL the plumbing fittings. Since I don't trust anybody, I'd purposely loosen one to see if they got them all.

An alternative is to tighten them all yourself.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

tex_wardfan
Explorer
Explorer
I called my dealer's Service Manager yesterday and told him about the issue I was having. He said it would be better if I just hand tightened the fittings under the sink and pressured up the system because the soonest I could bring the trailer in was April 21st. I went ahead and made the appointment but followed his advice. Where I store the trailer has a source of city water. I found no more leak after following his instructions so hopefully I'm good to go for now. I'm keeping the appointment just in case I get another problem to crop up and I cant fix it myself. I will cancel on the 20th if nothing else comes up. I'm hoping I can finally take the maiden voyage the first week in April.

tex_wardfan
Explorer
Explorer
leeper wrote:
Take it back to selling dealer! What makes you think they did a pressure test. Do not try to fix it your self or you might void the warranty. To new to fix your self, could be more leaks.

Mel, yes I am definitely taking it back tomorrow. I need practice pulling it anyway and I want some reassurance from them that they have it fixed. I just hope they don't put me off. This will be a good test to see how good of a dealer they are.

leeper
Explorer
Explorer
Take it back to selling dealer! What makes you think they did a pressure test. Do not try to fix it your self or you might void the warranty. To new to fix your self, could be more leaks.

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
We have had the nut on the hot water heater's inlet come loose as well as the nut on the water inlet on the toilet just from driving down the road. Teflon tape on the threads solved that.

In our motohome, the water holds the pressure in the system after turning off the pump or disconnecting from city water. Water will flow normal from the faucets for a few seconds until it finally peters out.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

tex_wardfan
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
When I de-winterized for the 1st time I flooded the kitchen/living room area in this RV.. Turns out many RVers have a few loose nuts lying about (Also a few loose screws, like the ones holding the wires in the breaker box)..

One of those nuts was the compression fitting on a PEX line under the sink, the line pulled apart and flooded everything. I put it back together and tightened it down 10 years ago.. Did not touch it for 10 years.. Just re-did it (new kitchen faucet so I had to mess with it)

I'd check the pipes and make sure they are secure Wiggle them. Mine came out in my hand when I did that, Nut was not nearly tight enough.

John, when I reached up to check the hot water connection it was wet and loose. I finger tightened it some but it probably needs some more.

tex_wardfan
Explorer
Explorer
John Wayne wrote:
Maybe it's not from the faucets, are there any places that water could be coming from the outside and leaking into the inside windows, vents, etc. have you had rain in the area since you parked it. Have you turned on the water pump to see if the water is coming from the Hot water connection?

John, that's what I don't understand. The water pump has not been on since the last day of February. why do I still have faucets that are working with no electrical power? My battery has been disconnected for over a week. You can turn on the faucets in the bath and kitchen area and water still runs out of the faucets like they have pressure not just a trickle. can pressure build up in the system from a temperature change. That's all that's happened lately.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
When I de-winterized for the 1st time I flooded the kitchen/living room area in this RV.. Turns out many RVers have a few loose nuts lying about (Also a few loose screws, like the ones holding the wires in the breaker box)..

One of those nuts was the compression fitting on a PEX line under the sink, the line pulled apart and flooded everything. I put it back together and tightened it down 10 years ago.. Did not touch it for 10 years.. Just re-did it (new kitchen faucet so I had to mess with it)

I'd check the pipes and make sure they are secure Wiggle them. Mine came out in my hand when I did that, Nut was not nearly tight enough.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

John_Wayne
Explorer II
Explorer II
Maybe it's not from the faucets, are there any places that water could be coming from the outside and leaking into the inside windows, vents, etc. have you had rain in the area since you parked it. Have you turned on the water pump to see if the water is coming from the Hot water connection?
John & Carol Life members
01 31'Sea View single slide, F53 V-10 with 134,000 miles and counting.
2012 Jeep Liberty Smi brake system
Security by Bentley
God Bless

KF6HCH