cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Water pressure regulator

tsduke03
Explorer
Explorer
I've read to much on this subject. I've been camping for years, but only a couple in a TT with water and all the amenities. Had not used a water pressure regulator until this last weekend because I keeping hearing you must use one.

I tried a cheap brass model on loan. Almost NO flow.

So now my question is, do I really need to spend a bunch? I see a lot of comments Watts, Watts, Watts, but is it really necessary.

This unit has decent reviews...
http://www.amazon.com/Valterra-A01-1122VP-Lead-Free-Water-Regulator/dp/B003YJJHI0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1400679348&sr=8-1&keywords=water+pressure+regulator+rv

I know Valtera also has a better one but it's close to $50.
2011 Heartland 26FQB
33 REPLIES 33

JEBar
Explorer
Explorer
we've been using a Watts Brass Model X55BG (purchased from the RV Water Filter Store) that allows a flow of up to 9 gallons per minute since '02 .... as best I came remember it cost about $80 back then .... a few years ago bought and installed a rebuild kit that cost something under $20 .... 12 years of use (and going strong) for under $120 .... one can certainly buy cheaper regulators and they will get what they pay for

Jim
'07 Freightliner Sportchassis
'06 SunnyBrook 34BWKS

69_Avion
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a nice Watts high flow regulator off of ebay for about $45 as I recall. The cheapest price for the same regulator, that I could find was $75. There are deals out there. Buy once and cry once, but getting quality pays in the long run.
Ford F-350 4x4 Diesel
1988 Avion Triple Axle Trailer
1969 Avion C-11 Camper

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
tsduke03 wrote:
It's one of those deals I guess I'll need to find out for myself. Some say the high flows work others say too restrictive.

Most the Watts stuff is pushing $80-100 anymore. Just seems crazy.

yeah, I've only had mine for 20 years, what's that $4.00 a year.
bumpy

tsduke03
Explorer
Explorer
It's one of those deals I guess I'll need to find out for myself. Some say the high flows work others say too restrictive.

Most the Watts stuff is pushing $80-100 anymore. Just seems crazy.
2011 Heartland 26FQB

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
If you want to use those cheap lower flow jobbies, use two of them in parallel along with parallel filters to increase flow.
bumpy

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Regulators ranked

Cheap cylinder ones, Male fitting one end, Female the other, TOO RESTRICTIVE
High flow/capacity, Like above but (usually) with a bright plastic grip on the female end.. Too RESTRICTIVE (note change in case)

Camco: (this one has wings) High flow. one RVer I met was satisified but I suspect it's one of the above.

Sur-Flo.. This is the one that is built into many RV's. mine is an in-line, Also restrictive though when it was new.. The word was "Slightly restrictive)

Now I have two 3/4 Inch "Professional" regulators.. one is a Watts, 9 years old, when it was new it worked great, but it needs a rebuild, plus there has been some damage, so instead of rebuilding (I may do that some day) I got a brand new ZURIN.. I ask for either a 1/2 or 3/4 (3/4 was cheaper so I got it)

I set it on 50 PSI Static

I opened the valve on the "Dog shower"
The needle did not even wiggle. IT remained LOCKED on 50 PSI (This is how the Watts acted when new as well)

Valterra makes one for RVers, it is adjustable and has a gauge.. I have not tested it but suspect it will be dang close to the Zurin and Watts.

They do age, and when they get old, one standard rebuild kit helps.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

thgoodman
Explorer
Explorer
If you have one of those brass barrel type pressure regulators, look into one end and you will see a solid square piece. That is the end of the PRESSURE regulator mechanism. Look into the other end and you will see a washer looking thing (could be metal or plastic) with about a 1/4 inch hole in it. That's the FLOW reducer. Don't be confused by the hose washer. That's not what I'm talking about.

The flow regulator is a feature brought to you by some long-ago craven national legislators trying to curry favor and money from a special interest group. (Could have been Sierra Club. Don't know).

Now, DON'T, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, go in there with a larger drill and carefully increase the size of the flow reducer hole. That would be illegal. :W
Tom & Jan
Full timers since April '06 - 1 fur kid (Archie - mini Poodle.)
2006 Beaver Patriot Thunder towing 2012 Subaru (4 down)
Started workamping Sept '07 - "This isn't too bad. Think we'll do it some more."

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Just use a cheep garden hose. If the pressure builds too much, the garden hose will blow! (That actually happened to us once and I had a regulator). The hose was laying in the HOT July sun soaking up all that heat! I suppose the water inside the hose started to boil and the pressure caused the hose to go! The regulator was attached at the spigot.

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
tsduke03 wrote:
Maybe the orange top replaced the blue top. I noticed if you look image of the packaging it has the same 15-20% better flow and 50psi comment on the packaging.

Be leery of packaging photos. I love purchasing from Amazon but often they use the same photo for similar, but different speced products.
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

tsduke03
Explorer
Explorer
Valterra customer service gave me this answer on flow.

Seems high on flow?

A01-1122VP - 11 gallons per minute
A01-1114VP - 11 gallons per minute
A01-1117VP - 14-15 gallons per minute, @ 45 psi
2011 Heartland 26FQB

newman_fulltime
Explorer II
Explorer II
That is the one I am talking about it is diff from the blue one

tsduke03
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe the orange top replaced the blue top. I noticed if you look image of the packaging it has the same 15-20% better flow and 50psi comment on the packaging.
2011 Heartland 26FQB

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
tsduke03 wrote:
newman - what is the red ring you are referring to?

Im not Newman but he may be referring to the Lead Free
High Flow Regulator. I know in the picture it looks orange but mine is RED
Compared to the one campfire time is talking about
Like this
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

tsduke03
Explorer
Explorer
newman - what is the red ring you are referring to?
2011 Heartland 26FQB

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
No, you don't need a $50 regulator.

Strange that there is no flow rating to the one you linked.

Here's one that's preset at 50 PSI. I have a similar one I've been using for years. You really don't want to go much higher than that because the lines aren't made to handle the pressure most of us are used to at home.

Many people never use a regulator. Yes, you have to put up with lower flow. But you don't ever want to find yourself having to replace plumbing. A regulator is cheap insurance.
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)