cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

WD If Delivering Trailers

cekkk
Explorer
Explorer
I once considered delivering trailers but decided against it. But a question came to me that I never got an answer to. What do you do about WD? The factories don't ship them with hitches that the dealers remove, do they? :@
'11 Eagle 320RLDS '02 Ford F350 DRW 7.3 PSD
"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch and do nothing" - Albert Einstein."
25 REPLIES 25

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
WyoTraveler wrote:
Most of the TTs I've seen enroute at gas stations on the hwy don't use WD. However they are commercial drivers with much more experience than the average RVer towing 2 or 3 times a year. They usually have 1 ton PUs, some with duallies. You don't see them towing a 10'000 pound TT with a 3, 000 pound compact vehicle

How do you come up with the average RV'er only tows 2-3 times a year? Maybe we need a poll on how often people tow their RV's.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Most I see delivering are 1 ton dually Dodges/Ram trucks with no WD. Most are well under their tow rating. IMO you only need WD for weight transfer. Problem is hardly anyone tows a TT with a dually truck and most people buy the smallest truck and largest TT. All that does is make things difficult.

JJensen79
Explorer
Explorer
A majority of the ones that I have seen don't have WD. Some of the smaller trailers they have loaded on a lowboy style trailer so they can move two or three at a time.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
The delivery guys own there own WD hitch. so when they need it they just clamp snap up brackets to the trailers frame and hookup the WD bars. I can`t see why they would drill holes to mount one for delivery and the dealers definitely wouldn`t be happy with holes in a brand new trailer frame and neither would a potential customer. yes quite a few of the delivery guys are not using WD with the lighter trailers, however being professionals they should also know when they need it.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Most of the TTs I've seen enroute at gas stations on the hwy don't use WD. However they are commercial drivers with much more experience than the average RVer towing 2 or 3 times a year. They usually have 1 ton PUs, some with duallies. You don't see them towing a 10'000 pound TT with a 3, 000 pound compact vehicle

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
WD, WDH, RA, FA, FEA, TT, wt, FA<, AS, SOL, :@:E
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)

dieseldan723
Explorer
Explorer
lj2654 wrote:
huh?

X2 :h
Currently looking for my next RV....

SOLD
2014 Keystone Fuzion 301 towed by 07 GMC Sierra 2500HD Classic CCSB 4X4
2012 Komfort 3530FBH towed by 08 Chevy 3500HD DRW
2006 Forest River Cardinal 33TBH towed by 03 GMC 2500HD

Prodigy 3 brake controller

lj2654
Explorer
Explorer
huh?
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples 40
2012 Cadillac Srx
retired AirForce 1979-1992

blt2ski
Reality is, if you get the correct hitch, you do not "NEED" WD to tow a trailer. Nor "SHOULD" you need to have anti sway bars. Now with that said.......it might be nice to have the above bars on a trailer that you tow, but not mandatory from a state law/code reason. RV.NET weight police not with standing.

One should use or may need a WD "IF" you sink the rear end enough that you overload the RA by taking too much off the FA, and/or you remove so much wt off the FA, that steering, FEA is not working correctly. THEN, having a WD is a good thing to put the wt back on to the FA< such that you have proper steering/braking etc on the FA. Many of the pro towers, use heavier suspension trucks, such that a 600-1000 lbs hitch wt will not remove enough wt off the FA to warrant the use of a WD system.

Antisway bars should be used as an absolute last resort. Reality is, you should be able to tow any given trailer with out fishtail sway in ANY condition! One should add an AS system as a safety issue. If you add an AS to stop uncontrolled fishtail sway, if a bar breaks, comes lose in route, or someone steals them, you're SOL on the spot! So best to make sure the trailer you tow is balanced such that it will not sway in an uncontrolled side to side motion. Many ways to do this if load balance does not work. If a trailer sways from the factory, most pro's will return the trailer and tell the factory to fix the alignment or equal so it will not sway.

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

popupcamping
Explorer
Explorer
most dually trucks dont need WDH's

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
My TT has the holes and marks from use of a WDH during the delivery process. I could still see them even though someone had tried to spray-paint over them.
From what I've seen, many don't use any WDH.