cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

WDH for 2500 Truck necessary?

splashback
Explorer
Explorer
I am new here and have decided on a Ram as the upgrade from my GMC Envoy.
I currently tow a camper that weights about 5000lbs fully loaded. Hitch weight is about 450-500lbs.
I currently have a weight distributing hitch and assume due to rear end sag, the Ram 1500 would also require using one.
Do you think a Ram 2500 would need the WDH? I would use sway control, but getting rid of the WDH would be great.
Thanks in advance.
25 REPLIES 25

skipnchar
Explorer
Explorer
The NEED for a WD system depends on the weight capacity of the trucks receiver. SOUNDS like your tongue weight would be within the trucks receiver rating even without a WD hitch but you need to WEIGH it not guess. For what it's worth, the trucks ride will be a lot better with the WD system in place.
2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
I have no interest in making this thread another Andersen/Anti-Andersen argument. I did want to let the OP know that there are options between all out weight distribution or none at all.

Ron_Gratz
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
I think your guess is way low for hitch weight. 15% hitch weight for a 5000 pound trailer is going to be closer to 750 pounds than 500. If you really are at 450-500 pounds you must have some horrendous sway issues?
The OP is towing a 2007 Jayco 19H hybrid trailer.

There is no reason that a trailer of that length and configuration needs a tongue weight of 15% for good yaw stability.

It is quite possible that a tongue weight of 10% is adequate for towing without sway issues.

Ron

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
For those who have actually used an Andersen hitch, it is quite easy to determine the amount of tension required to make the hitch perform its anti sway function. For those that haven't, about 1/8 inch compression on the bushings will be plenty. Another advantage of the Andersen hitch is that it can be used as a conventional adjustable ball mount without any weight distribution at all. Simply leave the chains and triangle plate off.

Ron_Gratz
Explorer
Explorer
TomG2 wrote:
---I use my Andersen no sway hitch with my 2500HD for the extra sway control, only because I already owned one. I put very little tension on the chains.
The Andersen WDH requires chain tension to generate sway-resisting torque.

Have you checked with the manufacturer to see if there is a minimum chain tension below which the sway control is not effective?

Ron

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
splashback wrote:
I am new here and have decided on a Ram as the upgrade from my GMC Envoy.
I currently tow a camper that weights about 5000lbs fully loaded. Hitch weight is about 450-500lbs.

I think your guess is way low for hitch weight. 15% hitch weight for a 5000 pound trailer is going to be closer to 750 pounds than 500. If you really are at 450-500 pounds you must have some horrendous sway issues?

mbutts
Explorer
Explorer
My Ford's hitch specifies it is rated for 600 lbs. tongue weight & 6,000 trailer weight without weight dist, 1,250 lbs. & 12,500 with.
Mike Butts
DW+DD+DS+Poodles
2017 Forest River Forester 3011DS (first MH!)
Previously 1999 Coleman Santa Fe pop-up, 2007 Kodiak 23SS hybrid, 2013 Sunset Trail 29SS travel trailer

Kennedycamper
Explorer
Explorer
You might not need it, but it will feel better connected going down the road.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know about Dodge, but Chevrolet does not require a weight distributing hitch with their 2500/3500 models. I use my Andersen no sway hitch with my 2500HD for the extra sway control, only because I already owned one. I put very little tension on the chains.

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
I have one for my D-max and use it but it's not needed and my trailer is about 2,000 lbs heaver. The only reason I still use it is because I had one. I just snug the chains and there is 0 load and call it good.

So no, I don't think you need one.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

boogie_4wheel
Explorer
Explorer
I went from a '97 K1500 using an Equilizer 4-Way, to my sig truck. The WDH didn't fit the Dodge because of the truck receiver height. I went for a run without WDH and determined that I was fine. Never spent the ~$100 for the longer/taller shank that would have allowed use of my WDH. I ended up giving it to my father in law since he was looking at purchasing the same one I had.

We've done many trips with and without toys in the trailer, and it has pulled great.
2005 2500 Cummins/48RE/3.73, QCLB, 4wd, BigHorn, Edge Juice w/ CTS + Turbo Timer,Transgo Shift Kit ISSPro Oil and LP pressure gauges, GDP 20/2 filters, Custom Diesel Steering Box Brace
'10 Forest River Shockwave Toy Hauler 21'
Honda EU3000I Genny