cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

WDH needed for towing?

WannaKatana
Explorer
Explorer
I know this is a tiresome question. I've been researching this off and on for days and each new post gets me more confused and unsure.

I've never towed before so I WANT to get a WDH but my bank account says no.

I need to tow my RV from Houston to Phoenix or I will keep incurring more lot rent fees and hotel costs (killing me!) but I'm a bit cash poor at the moment.

F150 towing capacity 7,900 if I'm reading the guide correctly. Tow package (not max tow though it has integrated trailer brake control). 5.0L, 3.55 gear ratio. GCWR 13,500.

Camper 4,500 dry/6,500 max. I don't have a lot of stuff and plan to empty all tanks. Tongue weight 540.

Can I get by with just sway bars? I won't tow often at least this year, just this one move.

Thanks,

Joel
26 REPLIES 26

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
You are over weight and need WD hitch. It will greatly improve your towing experience. Without it a court or even your insurance will make you pay through the nose if you have a accident.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
For the safety of you, me and others...me too!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

WannaKatana
Explorer
Explorer
I hope I'm reading this correctly as my having a max tow rating of 8,000 pounds.

Moderator edit to fix picture URL.

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
WannaKatana wrote:
Mickeyfan0805 wrote:
It is highly possible that a class III hitch on a vehicle like that might have a weight carrying limit of 500 pounds (anything over requiring a WDH).

Thanks. I believe it's a class IV. 2011 F150. Short bed.

Your hitch receiver is only rated to 500lbs/5000lbs towing, without a WDH, so you'll be over with that trailer.
I own a 2014 3.5 Ecoboost F150 with the Max Tow package and I would NEVER tow your trailer without a WDH.
Especially since you've never towed before.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

marcsbigfoot20b
Explorer
Explorer
Are you going back to Houston? Maybe you can borrow one from a member or like someone said, check craigslist or offerup.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Towing capacity isn't the only number that determines this need! Shifting weight back to the TT and forward to the TV's front wheels is essential for good braking and steering. And towing "just a little" is also unsafe.

First time some clown left turns in front of you and you stop in time and straight you'll see its essential. Happened to me TWICE in the last year.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes you need a WD hitch!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

WannaKatana
Explorer
Explorer
Mickeyfan0805 wrote:
It is highly possible that a class III hitch on a vehicle like that might have a weight carrying limit of 500 pounds (anything over requiring a WDH).

Thanks. I believe it's a class IV. 2011 F150. Short bed.

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
I would look at it as a moving expense insurance policy. Better to get there safely. Sell it if you want when you get to where you are going. Look on Craigs List for a used one if you can. I would not enjoy a 1200 mile drive without one.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

tomman58
Explorer
Explorer
I have always used that type of hitch and as described above it makes a large difference in the wat your TV handles. BUT there are other considerations from wet pavement to high winds. These elements can be controlled far better.
One last thing you can always increase the torsion bars for a bigger trailer.
2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

Mickeyfan0805
Explorer
Explorer
A 7,900 tow rating for an F150 suggests that it is not all that 'beefed' up a version of the F150 (that depends, somewhat, on model year, but many newer models go much higher than that).

With that in mind, your first place to look would be your hitch. It is highly possible that a class III hitch on a vehicle like that might have a weight carrying limit of 500 pounds (anything over requiring a WDH). Even travelling light, your trailer is likely to weigh as much as 5,500 pounds, and your hitch will likely be in the 600-800 range. How your truck will handle is questionable, but can only be determined by trying it out. If your hitch is limited to 500 pounds of direct weight, however, you are risking catastrophic failure by exceeding that significantly.

If your hitch is rated for it, you can try and see what happens if you want to. For me, however, I would not want to pull 1,200 miles with a set-up like that.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Weight Distribution bars are designed to do just that ... distribute the extra weight on the hitch from the back tires to the front, making all 4 tires have equal, or about equal weight riding on them.

To much weight on the rear tires and not enough on the front causes 2 things to happen. One, your headlights will be in the trees. Two, you will have very loose and light steering. The drive will make you feel like the front is floating and the steering is not as responsive as it should be. And actually, what you "feel" is absolutely right. You don't have as much steering control. Think of it as a bicycle doing a wheelie. Rear tire is doing all the load, and front has no, or little load, and you loose control of steering. And I suppose the third thing that could happen, depending on your suspension, the rear tires could bottom out with the extra weight hanging over the rear bumper.

You won't know for sure until try towing it.