cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Weight distribution / anti-sway hitch recommendations

BlunderLust
Explorer
Explorer
I've found some great travel trailer models thanks to the most helpful folks here. To tow the trailer I think I'll need weight distribution and anti-sway hitch add-ons. A trailer I'm considering is the Nash 17K with a weight of 4400 lbs and NCC of 2600 lbs. My truck is a 2015 Ford F150 SuperCab 3.5L EcoBoost 4x2 145" Wb 3.55 axle ratio. Ford states this version of the F150 has a max trailer weight of 12,100 pounds so I should be OK with the weight even with a maxed out NCC and Ford has overstated the actual tow capacity.

For such a truck/trailer combination is there a specific brand/model of weight distribution / anti-sway hitch which is recommended? Thanks!
20 REPLIES 20

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
BlunderLust wrote:
To tow the trailer I think I'll need weight distribution and anti-sway hitch add-ons.

There's absolutely no "thinking" about it, you will need a properly sized and adjusted weight distribution system to safely tow with your F150. However, pick the right WD system and there won't be any need at all for what you're calling "anti-sway hitch add-ons" as sway control will be an included function of the weight distribution system. Equal-i-zer and the Blue Ox Sway Pro are just two examples of such systems.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
I towed our KZ Spree for 6 yrs with an Equal-i-zer and while it certainly deserves the good reputation it has there's no question it's an older design that's based on direct metal to metal contact which results in it's also well deserved reputation for being noisy. Yes, one can lubricate the pivot points or add the manufacturer's sway brackets to mitigate the noise but you and everyone else in the campground will still know you're towing with an Equal-i-zer. :E Setting it up is also annoying in that head angle and therefore the amount of weight being transferred to the front steer axle requires changing the number of washers in the head and that can only be achieved by disassembling the head and starting over each time you do it. My current trailer doesn't require it but if I were to do it again I'd instead go with a Blue Ox Sway Pro which addresses all of the drawbacks to the Equal-i-zer, including the noise issue.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
I had a Reese sraight line and I really liked it.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for the Equal-i-zer here. I used a Reese standard old style bar with the attached chains with a separate friction sway bar for years and years. It worked well on 3 different travel trailers, a Surburban, and 3 different truck combinations, until the hitch head bent (simply old age I think).

I then switched to an Equal-i-zer (mainly because that's what my RV dealer pushed and recommended for my Outback TT and 3500 duly). So I went with it. My dealer set it up for me, and after a very short while, I realized it was so much easier to hitch than the old Reese "ball and chain" and performed great, and didn't have to mess with the separate friction sway bar, I realized I liked the Equal-i-zer so much more!

The Equal-i-zer did make a lot of noise, popping and groaning when it was first installed. I did eventually get the little pads that go on the L brackets and it quieted down tremendously without changing performance at all. So if you go with Equal-i-zer, get the little pads that go on the L-bracket from the beginning. They don't cost "that" much and in my opinion are well worth it.

skiles
Explorer
Explorer
My vote would be for the only one I have any experience with, the Equalizer. I feel very comfortable towing. I seem to read good things about the Blue Ox and Anderson as well.
2009 Outback 268rl
2015 F250 Lariat 6.7 Powerstroke

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Any of the good hitches will work. I'd suggest looking at the Blue Ox Sway Pro because it is such a "clean" hitch" i.e. no exposed grease other than the hitch ball. I have an Equalizer which performs well. You could also look at the Reese Dual Cam or the Andersen hitches.
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption