cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Mould in air conditioning vents

Patrick45
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone experienced a mouldy smell coming - apparently - from the air conditioning vents? We have had the roof mounted air conditioners checked. There are no leaks and the drains are dry. However, when the air-conditioning is on there is a distinct, acrid odor throughout the RV. I am now experiencing headache and some burning in my eyes. My husband seems unaffected. There are no signs of leakage anywhere. The unit is a 3-yr old destination trailer.

HIS WIFE
7 REPLIES 7

JWRoberts
Explorer
Explorer
If the Lysol fails, rent an ozone generator and run it and your fan for 24 hours.

Patrick45
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the great suggestions. The evaporator and coils were checked and cleaned by a service man yesterday He said there was no moisture or mold. I'll try the Lysol. We cleaned all the air intake vents and thoroughly washed the filters before replacing yesterday. The repairman suggested we have Stanley Steemer clean out the air ducts, but when I called them they said they do not have the equipment. I am nervous about not locating the mold (if there is any) before we head north for the summer. Again, thanks for the replies.
The Wife

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Maybe check around your battery bank and see if you see any boiled out fluids there... That is strange odor as well... The fridge coolent is also a strange smell as well...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Use a can of Lysol spray, into the air intakes while fan is running. Use lightly several times, them just wait for sunny weather to dry everything out. This is not an uncommon problem. after a damp winter. The Lysol at least makes it more pleasant, but don't get carried away with it.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not condenser, evaporator. You have to get on the roof, take the cover off, take the metal front cover off and clean the coils. Put towels on the floor and stuff towels around the edges.

I cut a throw away paint brush short and use a hose with good hand squirter and 409.

You can mitigate mold growth by running your fan for several minutes without the compressor when you are putting it away.

The coils sit there wet.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

Patrick45
Explorer
Explorer
That was done yesterday. There was no evidence of any mold.

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
you need to clean the condensor and blower