cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Violators unlikely to be ticketed!

lakeside013104
Explorer
Explorer
DW and I traveled from Florida to Maine recently and we are thankful to have arrived home all in one piece.

I saw an article on television about the driverless car manufacturers planning to put their new cars on the highway just as soon as they program integrity and moral driving skills into their computer driving systems.

I think it would be very beneficial to retrain our current highway drivers on driver integrity and good moral driving skills.

The number of horrible drivers we encountered on our trip home were frequent enough to make us wonder why we expose ourselves to this incredible danger. We observed incidents of road rage, impatience, driving to endanger, speeding, aggressive maneuverings, following too closely, no signal use when changing lanes, abruptly changing lanes, no courtesy and to boot, these actions were done buy truckers and passenger cars alike.

I am to understand that most city folks believe that these driving methods are normal and to be expected. Every morning in Florida the news had coverage on several road closures due to car crashes. Just the "cost" of commuting! In my opinion, this is unacceptable and mostly preventable if better driving was practiced.

Maybe I am in the minority with these thoughts, so thanks for hearing me vent.

Lakeside
87 REPLIES 87

Cloud_Dancer
Explorer II
Explorer II
As a commercial pilot with ATP license, I did recurrent training and testing every 6 months. Flight physical exam every 6 months, and drug test schedule was on random basis. I've seen actions by pilots that made me judge them as "substandard". Whereas, I was perfect in every way....:B
Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
PA12DRVR wrote:
jplante4 wrote:
malexander wrote:
We have to do this every two years to keep our pilots license, I see no difference in driving a vehicle.

And for some pilots, the only time they fly is every 2 years for their flight review. I don't think they're so safe.

x2

is it only co-pilots that try to fly drunk?
bumpy

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
jplante4 wrote:
malexander wrote:
We have to do this every two years to keep our pilots license, I see no difference in driving a vehicle.

And for some pilots, the only time they fly is every 2 years for their flight review. I don't think they're so safe.

x2
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
malexander wrote:

Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
malexander wrote:
Driving is a privilege.
With that said, I believe EVERYONE should have to drive with an examiner/instructor EVERYTIME you renew your drivers license. This would not be a pass/fail "test", just a recurrent training exercise (unless you just absolutely can't drive). You pay the examiner/instructor his fee.

I've flown. I've driven.
I see a huge difference myself.
bumpy

malexander
Explorer
Explorer
Driving is a privilege.
With that said, I believe EVERYONE should have to drive with an examiner/instructor EVERYTIME you renew your drivers license. This would not be a pass/fail "test", just a recurrent training exercise (unless you just absolutely can't drive). You pay the examiner/instructor his fee.

2007 Fleetwood Bounder 38N 330 Cat DP, 2008 GL1800 Goldwing, Cessna 150 & 172, Rans S6S Coyote, Vans RV9A. Lifetime NRA, EAA, Good Sam member

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
In Gorgie, on the Interstates I can generally drive faster if I stay in the right lane around certain cities. They like, to patrol,, the left lane, and by George, you aren't going, to pass them or go around them.
Worrying about them being ticketed, I'm more glad to stay out of their way.
I see them coming for me i will find a lane shoulder or somewhere to go before they hit me. Got pretty good reflexes. Wife kinda freeze frames as do most women and some others and don't react, of course their cars can't get out of their own way in the same month. I like to have good clear lane ahead and behind and beside me. Sometimes hard to keep cars from cutting me off and dropping in between us and car ahead, so when I drive they gotta catch me to get in front. If they do the road is theirs. Never drive unsafe and unaware.
Sees someone pulling on the Interstate while in left lane make room for guy in right to come over long before distance is critical.
You all get off the road I'm coming through, next month going to Floridee.
Around here we no longer use the Interstate unless at night.
Too many wrecks, usually involving Semis and you can count on the road being blocked anytime there is light out.:)
Kids spent 7 hours in traffic,just going to town. Hwy Patrol brought toilet paper, water and snacks down the line of traffic.
Today there was a backup of about thirty miles.
They installed very wide turn around between opposing lanes and are now starting to detour cars back to one or two exits, on this fifty mile or so section, of I24.
Don't worry about them getting tickets. Worry about just staying out of their way.
In Florida don't go to the malls anywhere near Orlando or jsut about anywhere. I never saw so many fights or near fights and fender benders and that was just in the parking lots in 07.
I wish I had went ahead with Pilots license when still in good health.
I pssed up a twin engine Cessna for 25,000 for the PE, someone didn't pay 2008 or so
In the Mh they tend to shy away from cutting us off unless they are drunk, and many may well be. I just need a big ole crash guard like on police cars in front and back.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
bpounds wrote:
mabynack wrote:
...It really irritates me when they race up in the left lane and then slow down and pace me in my blind spot...

Irritates me too. I figure they are too stupid to determine a safe speed for themselves, and go through life just following the crowd.

I live in a area of a lot of two lane roads. What irritates me is when people race up behind you, then tailgate only a few feet from the back of you. Or, worse when I am pulling my TT and the follow along in my blind spot.

If you want to drive that fast then go past me and do so. I have no problem with that and that is what I do. But, why tailgate on a flat road for miles at a time ??????

Sometimes I slow down pull to the right a little and they get the idea and go by. But, I have had times when I slow to 40 mph and they just won't go past. Just keep tailgating. Sometimes I just have to pull off onto the shoulder and stop just to let them go by.

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
mabynack wrote:
...It really irritates me when they race up in the left lane and then slow down and pace me in my blind spot...

Irritates me too. I figure they are too stupid to determine a safe speed for themselves, and go through life just following the crowd.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

mabynack
Explorer II
Explorer II
I noticed on my last trip that a lot of people here in Florida tend to just drive in the left lane. It really irritates me when they race up in the left lane and then slow down and pace me in my blind spot.

I had a guy do that at 2 a.m. with a misaligned headlight. I tried speeding up and he sped up and then I tried slowing down. I eventually took my foot off the accelerator completely and got down to 45 mph before he finally sped up and drove away from me.

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
Anyone driving faster than me is a maniac. Anyone driving slower than me is a moron.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Slate CM wrote:
Adam Ferrara on Top Gear "Let's face it, everyone on the road except for you, is a moron."

LOL!
There are many great and good drivers out on the roads, we just tend to notice the Jerks more!!!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Slate_CM
Explorer
Explorer
Adam Ferrara on Top Gear "Let's face it, everyone on the road except for you, is a moron."

mabynack
Explorer II
Explorer II
bpounds wrote:
Confession: I don't use turn signals much.

I use them when people need to know what I'm going to do. If I am sitting at a light, in a lane where I can either go straight, or turn, I use the signal. If I'm sitting at a light IN A LEFT TURN LANE, I figure you should be smart enough to know I'm going to turn.

I use them when there is a need. I don't use them just because someone made a stupid rule.

You cannot trust the intent of a signal light anyway, so what's the point? Now old fashioned hand signals, those you could trust. No one every forgot they had their arm pointing out the window.

Cops don't seem to care. They get it.

Let the flames begin. Doesn't much matter to me what people think.

Jeff Foxworthy said that if you see a vehicle with a turn signal on here in the south, it was likely purchased that way.