cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

weight distribution bar came off

forrestrv
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and family minus myself do to work obligations went camping for 5 days. The campground which they stayed at was approximately 425 miles round trip. My wife said our 22 foot travel trailer towed great both there and home. The problem came when she got out of the tow vehicle and discovered the trailers weight distribution bar out of the hitch. My theory is based on last camping expedition about 2 weeks ago. My house is located at the end of a cirle street so last time we pulled in we went around the circle we have to then make a 90 degree cirle to pull up our driveway last time I noticed my emergency trailer brake line pulled out now this time my wife said that one of our weight distribution bars was out and hanging by the chain. Question.. can the turn be too tight? For now I think I will unplug, unhook the weight distribution bars before making that turn up our driveway. It was the drivers side bar that was out
8 REPLIES 8

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
We had a set that did. My dad welded a little bit more of a corner on it and it never did that again until we sold the trailer with the bars.

My bars I have now you can turn as tight as you want and they won't come loose.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
If they are your standard round bars with the little pin that locks them in the head you either have broken the little pin or it did turn sharp enough for it to release...

I take mine off before putting the trailer to bed at home because of the steep drive way I have to go up and the jack knife move I have to do to get it in it's space.. It's just easier to remove the bars while it's on the street than when it's in a jack knife position... ๐Ÿ˜‰

Been doing this for over 10 years now and have not broken a pin yet...

Now, my wife helped me hitch up once and she put the bar in, but didn't get it right and the bar fell out as soon as she let go of it. I showed her that it has to engage the pin and that you should be able to move the bar in a reasonable arch and it should stay in place.. Once she knew that, she's not any issues with the bars.

Anyway, good luck with whatever happened!

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
PA roads can do a number on them.
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
could be they didn't lock the bars in when they inserted the bar to the hitch

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
trickyvic3 wrote:
I was always under the impression that you were not supposed to back up with the bars on.

I believe you are thinking about swaybars. I never heard of it harming a springer / weight bar
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

trickyvic3
Explorer
Explorer
I was always under the impression that you were not supposed to back up with the bars on.

GENECOP
Explorer II
Explorer II
Also radicle changes in grades combined with bumps can cause them to fall out.

chevyman2
Explorer
Explorer
I would say you are on to something. Those bars were not designed for tight turns. Actually you are supposed to take them off when it is time to maneuver into the campsite. Most people dont do this, and most never have any problems, but you are supposed to.
Tim-DW(Kathy)
12 Chevy Sonic DD, 03 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE, 2001 Jayco KIWI
If a "nightmare" is considered a dream-then I am living the dream