cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Honda CRV.

Pop-Pop_C
Explorer
Explorer
Do I need a brake buddy on a Honda CRV behind a 40' DP?
Thanks.
28 REPLIES 28

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
Will, I understand what you're saying. However, my post was just a simple statement...didn't mention anything else about safety, laws, weights, or urban myths...just a simple physic fact!

I agree with you, it's up to the individual to decide what is best for him/her in this very subjective issue. For me, that few less feet in stopping could be very significant.

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
lanerd wrote:
as I mentioned previously, ANY mh will stop faster and in a shorter distance if its toad is equipped with a supplemental braking system than one without! Simple physics applies here.

Ron, I don't disagree with that. However, one has to take into account all factors with this.

If installing a braking system costs $2000, runs the risk of burning up the toad's brakes if it has a problem, yet only decreases stopping distance by a very tiny, almost non-noticeable percentage (like say in the case of a 43,000 lb DP towing a 2000 lb Miata), and the owner is only going to tow places where it is not required by law....Are you REALLY going to try to make the case to that person, that he or she should have a supplemental braking system to be safe? I'm not, and have no problem saying in that case, a brake system is not necessary.

Nothing wrong with encouraging folks to do what they reasonably can to be safe on the road. What I have a real problem with when this subject comes up, is all the legal 'scare tactics', urban myth spreading, and absolute NONSENSE and misinformation that is thrown around to try and scare people into thinking they must have a braking system on their toad. Those tactics and posts just need to die, period.

It gets old seeing the same ol' BS urban myths getting spread (like the ridiculous one about insurance not paying..ROTFL!!) over and over.

..And for the record: I have a supplemental braking system. We use a Readybrake system with Readystop breakaway on both of our toads that we tow behind our 36' Georgetown. Works great, and for our rig, I would not want to tow without it. However, just because I personally have determined for our setup that a braking system is appropriate, does not necessarily mean that is or should be the case for everyone. ๐Ÿ™‚

Will
Will and Cheryl
2021 Newmar Baystar 3014 on F53 (7.3 V8) Chassis ("Brook")
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK ("Wilbur")

univmd
Explorer
Explorer
Our braking system was not working for quite awhile, and we had no idea it was not working while towing. We got it fixed under warranty. We basically have it just in case the CRV breaks loose, we want it to stop.
2008 Gulfstream Tourmaster
2011 Honda CRV
Blue Ox Baseplate & Socket Wiring
Blue Ox Alladin Tow Bar
US Gear Unified Tow Brake

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
I agree with Bumpy... and as I mentioned previously, ANY mh will stop faster and in a shorter distance if its toad is equipped with a supplemental braking system than one without! Simple physics applies here. Granted, with a toad that is only 10% of the mh's weight, that distance may not be a whole lot, but it may make the difference of coming into contact with something or not.

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
moparmaga2 wrote:

TEXAS ยง 547.401. BRAKES REQUIRED. (a) Except as provided by
Subsection (b), a motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer, pole
trailer, or combination of those vehicles shall be equipped with
brakes that comply with this chapter.
(b) A trailer, semitrailer, or pole trailer is not required
to have brakes if:
(1) its gross weight is 4,500 pounds or less; or
(2) its gross weight is heavier than 4,500 pounds but
not heavier than 15,000 pounds, and it is drawn at a speed of not
more than 30 miles per hour.

WOW, I'M LEGAL! Who Knew! I love living in the great state of Texas, where common sense is still common.

do you only expect to tow your toad in Texas?
bumpy

moparmaga2
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
az99 wrote:
Don't argue with an idiot. They can only take you down to their level.

I certainly agree with you. and I consider anybody who tows a toad and is too cheap to buy a braking/break away system to be fit that description.
bumpy

Maybe you can use your Civil Suit winnings to purchase one for me?

I am leaving this month for a 10,000 mile trip to Alaska and back and have to save my money for Diesel. I hear it is pretty expensive in British Columbia on the way up.

If you buy one for me, I will put it in and take pictures for proof.

Help a brother out.

There is no Safari Requirement for trailer brakes. The warning in the sidebar says to consult my local regulations. I know you are going to make me look up my local regulations, so I preemptively did it. Even I was surprised!

Here they are in all their glory:

TEXAS ยง 547.401. BRAKES REQUIRED. (a) Except as provided by
Subsection (b), a motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer, pole
trailer, or combination of those vehicles shall be equipped with
brakes that comply with this chapter.
(b) A trailer, semitrailer, or pole trailer is not required
to have brakes if:
(1) its gross weight is 4,500 pounds or less; or
(2) its gross weight is heavier than 4,500 pounds but
not heavier than 15,000 pounds, and it is drawn at a speed of not
more than 30 miles per hour.

WOW, I'M LEGAL! Who Knew! I love living in the great state of Texas, where common sense is still common.
2015 Jayco Greyhawk 31DS
2013 Ram 1500 Laramie Hemi
2008 Yamaha FJR Sport Touring Bike in the bed of the truck

Popsie
Explorer
Explorer
daverich wrote:
Will the DP stop it? Probably. HOWEVER, if you have an accident, realize not having a supplemental braking system is a good excuse for the insurance company to deny your claim. Also leaves another opening for a lawsuit because you did NOT do all you could have to be safe.

I can't even tell my toad is back there but I have a supplemental braking system to protect me from lawyers.
One of my best friends owns an insurance agency. If insurance companies could deny your claim because you did something negligent, they would never pay a claim that was your fault (failed to stop at a red light, turned left in front of oncoming traffic, driving drunk and hit a tree, etc. etc.). And if you get hit with a lawsuit, the insurance company will have to pay (up to your liability limit -- which should be in the millions of dollars if you have any sense) -- and they will be defending you in court.

Does your auto or RV policy have language that calls for a specific exclusion of coverage regarding supplemental braking when towing? If so, please quote that policy section. My policies do not have that exclusion.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
moparmaga2 wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:
be assured that when I win my civil suit against you It will also include paying off my legal fees.
bumpy

Ok, back to the real world were not everyone is a bazillionaire with money laying around to give to Bumpy when he wins his civil suits against them.

I would be curious to what kind of RV bumpy owns, to gauge what kind of experience he may have with this subject. Bumpy, have you owned a 40 + foot Diesel Pusher as we are discussing here, that weighs in excess of 35,000 lbs? If you had, you would know you will not feel any perceptible difference as long as your toad is below a reasonable weight.

True, there are some laws in some states that state you must have a toad braking system, however, these laws are general. The requirements are the same, no matter is you have a 8,000 lb class B towing 4,000 lbs or a 60,000 lb Newell towing 4,000 lbs. There are quite a bit of a difference between these scenarios.

To the OP. I choose not to have a towed Braking System. My present Motorhome weighs 43,000 lbs going down the road. It has 8 tires, on it, thus 8 sets of brakes.

My Jeep toad weighs 4000 lbs. I honestly cannot feel the difference, no matter if I have the Jeep behind me or not. It accelerates the same, it brakes the same, it gets the same gas mileage. Trust me when I say that the itsy bitsy Jeep is not going to push a 43 foot, 43,000 lbs motorcoach with 8 22.5 inch air braked tires through a intersection. The motorhome is going to do what it will, regardless of any backtalk the Jeep wants to give it. ๐Ÿ™‚

If I had say a 14,500 lb Class C towing a my Jeep, I would have supplemental brakes on my tow vehicle.

I would recommend trying the CRV out behind your motorhome first on a few test runs. If you can perceive any difference with the CRV attached, you can always order a breaking system.

in case your attention span is not that great, IIRC I indicated that if your owner's manual states that if you tow over xxx lbs. you needed a toad braking system, etc.... I assume that your 43,000 lb. RV does not say that?
and I consider the breakaway feature to be almost as important as the extra braking provided on your toad.
bumpy

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
az99 wrote:

I certainly agree with you. and I consider anybody who tows a toad and is too cheap to buy a braking/break away system to be fit that description.
bumpy

az99
Explorer
Explorer

moparmaga2
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
be assured that when I win my civil suit against you It will also include paying off my legal fees.
bumpy

Ok, back to the real world were not everyone is a bazillionaire with money laying around to give to Bumpy when he wins his civil suits against them.

I would be curious to what kind of RV bumpy owns, to gauge what kind of experience he may have with this subject. Bumpy, have you owned a 40 + foot Diesel Pusher as we are discussing here, that weighs in excess of 35,000 lbs? If you had, you would know you will not feel any perceptible difference as long as your toad is below a reasonable weight.

True, there are some laws in some states that state you must have a toad braking system, however, these laws are general. The requirements are the same, no matter is you have a 8,000 lb class B towing 4,000 lbs or a 60,000 lb Newell towing 4,000 lbs. There are quite a bit of a difference between these scenarios.

To the OP. I choose not to have a towed Braking System. My present Motorhome weighs 43,000 lbs going down the road. It has 8 tires, on it, thus 8 sets of brakes.

My Jeep toad weighs 4000 lbs. I honestly cannot feel the difference, no matter if I have the Jeep behind me or not. It accelerates the same, it brakes the same, it gets the same gas mileage. Trust me when I say that the itsy bitsy Jeep is not going to push a 43 foot, 43,000 lbs motorcoach with 8 22.5 inch air braked tires through a intersection. The motorhome is going to do what it will, regardless of any backtalk the Jeep wants to give it. ๐Ÿ™‚

If I had say a 14,500 lb Class C towing a my Jeep, I would have supplemental brakes on my tow vehicle.

I would recommend trying the CRV out behind your motorhome first on a few test runs. If you can perceive any difference with the CRV attached, you can always order a breaking system.
2015 Jayco Greyhawk 31DS
2013 Ram 1500 Laramie Hemi
2008 Yamaha FJR Sport Touring Bike in the bed of the truck

dverstra
Explorer
Explorer
When I first saw this question, I thought it would be about being safe and the fact that states and Canada might require it of you. Obviously the "need" is to protect oneself from our fellow R V owners that want to sue me!;)

By the way, I have a 2013 CRV with an AiforceOne braking system and like it!
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...Holy Cow....what a ride!"

2007 Holiday Rambler Navigator
2013 Honda CRV
Returned Peace Corps Volunteer - Sierra Leone

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bumpyroad wrote:
bumpy

Well, we can chat and debate all day about what might or might not happen in court.

However, unless you are a lawyer with specific experience around such things, and/or until you can provide some specific examples where this has happened (someone losing a civil suit because they didn't have a supplemental braking system)......Wellll, its really just a bunch of internet babble and nonsense. And, doesn't really provide much useful info to the original poster on whether or not a braking system is appropriate or not.

Will
Will and Cheryl
2021 Newmar Baystar 3014 on F53 (7.3 V8) Chassis ("Brook")
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK ("Wilbur")

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
bumpy