cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What is a "sway bar" on rv.net

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lots of posts talking about "sway bar(s)" - do people mean the weight distribution bars?

Or a sway control - flat bar with it's own small ball on the receiver and a set of brake pads you pinched down with a set bolt - like we used in the early 80's on a tent trailer?

:h
13 REPLIES 13

kevden
Explorer
Explorer
It should also be mentioned that "sway bar" and "weight distribution bars" are not necessarily the same thing. They can be, such as the Equalizer brand hitch, but more often are separate devices.

A weight distribution bar/hitch redistributes a portion of the trailer tongue weight to the tow vehicles front axle and the trailers axle(s) which prevents unloading of the tow vehicles steering capability and improves the overall handling, which can reduce trailer sway.

A trailer hitch sway bar limits lateral movement of the trailer to help control sway.

What is possibly more important that either is proper weight distribution on the trailer itself. Too much weight toward the rear will produce lots of sway. Too much weight toward the front- the receiver, hitch, tongue, and tow vehicle rear axle and frame are overloaded, and the front axle is unloaded which can cause dangerous understeer.
2012 Keystone Outback 312bh

2003 GMC Yukon XL 2500 4X4 Quadrasteer

2010 VW Routan
2007 Chrysler Pacifica AWD

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"sway control - flat bar with it's own small ball on the receiver :S"

is one of these:

downtheroad wrote:
This: (I'm a visual learner)

wandering1
Explorer
Explorer
"sway control - flat bar with it's own small ball on the receiver" :S
HR

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Since this is the Towing forum, the above post showing sway bars for use on motorhomes and trucks does not really apply. That is the reason I said in my earlier post that "On this forum (the Towing forum), a "sway bar" refers to a friction sway control device 99 times out of 100."

If this were the Class A or Class B motorhome forum then I would say the post above this would probably be correct answer to the OP's question. So all of those who say it "depends on the context" are correct.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Depends entirely on context
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

summerhouse
Explorer
Explorer
Probability depends on what is being discussed in the thread you are reading as to what context "sway bar" is being used in. If a motorhome is being discussed, I believe the reference to a sway bar would be the anti-sway suspension component.
In a trailer/towing conversation, I believe it would then be referencing the friction sway-control device.
โ€œLight hearted I take to the open roadโ€ฆ Healthy, free, the world before meโ€ฆ The long brown path before me leading me wherever I choose.โ€ - Walt Whitman

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
This: (I'm a visual learner)

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

robsouth
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to Barney for the first sensible answer.
"Sometimes I just sit and think. Sometimes I just sit." "Great minds like a think."

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
On this forum, a "sway bar" refers to a friction sway control device 99 times out of 100. It is not necessarily old fashioned and is still in wide use in todays RV circles. There are much more advanced sway contol devices/hitches available today however but the "friction sway bar" is still the most popular and lowest in cost.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Sway Bar is to control body roll not trailer sway.

Trailer sway control is generally use with a few extra terms or in context with a hitch etc.

Although I do wonder if a sway bar reducing trailer body roll would assist with trailer sway. Have not read of anyone trying this approach.

Bedlam
There are also stabilizer bars attached to the axle and frame of your tow vehicle which are often called sway bars...

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
It can actually mean two different things.
One is the device that limits trailer sway and the other is part of a truck or motorhomes suspension that limits how much it leans.