cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What is wrong with my F150

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
It eats tires. The BF Goodrich Long trails that came on it lasted only about 20,000 miles. I put on some Cooper Discoverer Plus. Another 15,000 ish. Then I put on Michelins. And now at 65,000 miles on the truck. I'm getting ready to put on the 4th set of new tires.

Understand. The tires, all of them. Have worn evenly across the tire. The do not cup, and they are not out of round. I check the PSI regularly, and have them rotated at every oil change.
I'm just confused as to why they don't last. I kind of understood the Coopers. I pretty well burned them off. They were pretty hard, and being hard, were really easy to smoke. But I put a limited slip in, and stopped most of the smoking, But the Michelins are still worn down to with in 1/8" of the wear bars.

Am I alone in this?
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers
45 REPLIES 45

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
emcee wrote:
I'm with those suggesting alignment. Stop rotating them and you'll see if it's the front or the rear thats eating them. I once had a Hyundai (front wheel drive) that ate tires. Gave up and stopped rotating them. Rears went bald.

Nope. It's NOT an alignment issue. IF it were. The tire would not wear evenly. They would be worn either on the inside shoulder, or the outside shoulder. 5000 miles is plenty of time for a alignment issue to show it self. The tire do not were more on either shoulder, Nor do they wear more in the middle, or on the shoulders. The were evenly across the tread. They would not do so, If there either a air pressure, or alignment issue.

I'm pretty anal about air pressure, both on the truck, and trailer. I always watch the tires closely.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bluhorn wrote:
Dandy Dan wrote:
Terry, My truck came with BFG Rugged Trails on it.It is a 4WD and we tow a 5er. I changed them out at almost 70,000 miles. Looked at other tires then decided why change so I put the same thing back on. Hope you can find a suitable tire for your needs.

My truck also came with BFG Rugged Trails. I too got 70K out of them. But these were load range E tires. Anything less than LRE and the BFGs are a different tread pattern and different wear characteristics.
I hope you get the issue straightened out. And by the way Terry,I did NOT think you were a troll in ref to a earlier "poofed" post that someone put on here. Just some kidding although the Mod must have missed my "wink"on the end.:W

I must have missed it. Been at work.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

emcee
Explorer
Explorer
I'm with those suggesting alignment. Stop rotating them and you'll see if it's the front or the rear thats eating them. I once had a Hyundai (front wheel drive) that ate tires. Gave up and stopped rotating them. Rears went bald.

Handbasket
Explorer
Explorer
Shortly after moving up here in the 60's, I was talking to a tire salesman. He said that they service several traveling salesmen's company cars. He'd had to answer letters from three different flatland home offices, explaining that tires most emphatically did not last as long here in the mountains because of all the curves and hills.

My own personal record is averaging about 15,000 miles per set of tires on my '83 Rabbit GTI. I lived about 15 miles out of town, the last 10 being on a twisty, hilly two lane. I usually made two trips to town every day, and didn't like to spend any more time on the road than necessary.

My advice? Learn to live with it, or slow down ;).

Jim, "Crowded elevators smell different to midgets."
'06 Tiger CX 'C Minus' on a Silverado 2500HD 4x4, 8.1 & Allison (aka 'Loafer's Glory')

Bluhorn
Explorer
Explorer
Dandy Dan wrote:
Terry, My truck came with BFG Rugged Trails on it.It is a 4WD and we tow a 5er. I changed them out at almost 70,000 miles. Looked at other tires then decided why change so I put the same thing back on. Hope you can find a suitable tire for your needs.

My truck also came with BFG Rugged Trails. I too got 70K out of them. But these were load range E tires. Anything less than LRE and the BFGs are a different tread pattern and different wear characteristics.
I hope you get the issue straightened out. And by the way Terry,I did NOT think you were a troll in ref to a earlier "poofed" post that someone put on here. Just some kidding although the Mod must have missed my "wink"on the end.:W
1993 Dodge D 250 Cummins Club Cab
2019 Ram 1500 Laramie 4X4 Quad Cab
2022 Palomin9 Solaire 242RB
Chance The Senior Husky

Dandy_Dan
Explorer
Explorer
dan218b@tds.net
Dan and Lori Branson
Anna 1 and Lily( The new one)
Sarah-7/16 and Beau at the Rainbow bridge
2015 Ford SD350 Crew Cab Power Stroke
2009 Open Range 337RLS
Old Fella Rally Member
RV.Net Ohio Rally Member

jdog
Explorer
Explorer
Terryallan wrote:
mark5w wrote:
Terryallan wrote:
Allworth wrote:
Its a Ford!

Is there any other kind??????????????????

Chevy, Dodge and GMC make a real truck?? :?

Are you sure????

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
mark5w wrote:
Terryallan wrote:
Allworth wrote:
Its a Ford!

Are you sure????
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

mark5w
Explorer
Explorer
Terryallan wrote:
Allworth wrote:
Its a Ford!

'13 2018 JAYCO EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS- '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Allworth wrote:
Its a Ford!

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
Its a Ford!
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
TRIPLE8 wrote:
Hi, not knowing if you live in flat or mountain (you say you are in the foothills). I cannot get more than 20000 miles on a set of tires. I live in the mountains and am probably one of the slowest drivers up here. combine that and pulling a trailer they will wear very fast.

Never thought of that. A straight road is rare around here, and we do spend a lot of time up the hill. We are less than an hour from Boone, and do Most of our camping in the mountains.

As for the back tires wearing faster. I can't really tell. They all four wear the same, as I keep them rotated.

And guys. they really don't sip so much since I added the limited slip. As for the electronic gas pedal. I really hate that thing. It has no "feel" The newer one have a feel, but the older ones like on a 2004. Don't. Sometimes it seems to have a mind of it's own.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
dodge guy wrote:
What gear ratio do you have?

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
jdog wrote:
limited slip rear ends only work at low speed, not when your going down the road.
I think that is just the GM locker that disables itself at speed.
Clutch style and my Truetrac are always working.