cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What kind of Florida snake was this

jetboater454
Explorer
Explorer
Caught this snake trying to eat some eggs from the guineas in the yard.Turned it into a 4 course dinner for the Eagle we have flying around. Pic has the 2 middle pieces in in the wrong spot.
2011 Toyota Tundra DC Long Bed
2001 Harley Dyna Lowrider
43 REPLIES 43

MrWizard
rattle snakes are a protected species here in Calif

that said, i would not tolerate one on my step or in my garage

the young children, the elderly (and i'm getting there)and pets , are at the most risk
RS bites are very painful, but rarely deadly to a healthy adult
anybody from late teens to 45 , will usully survive a bite
but i wont take any chances at home
in the woods they usually go the other way, away from the noise i'm making
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer
I sure would have killed it as well if it was in the coop and eating eggs. In the woods? fine. Let it be. Around the house and causing trouble? Off with his head!

I kill maybe 3 or 4 rattlers a year around my house or in the garage. I say this so maybe I can take some of the heat off the OP. One was stalking the family dog! A 6.5' rattler under the car in the garage. Dog was barking like mad at it, the snake remained completely quiet and coiled up, waiting for that dog to get juuuuussssttt a little closer.....

Another was at the threshold where my 4 year old grandson called me over to look at it. It stretched across the door opening so nothing could get past it.

jetboater454
Explorer
Explorer
In N.central FL.We have a lot of snakes in the yard,just never say one this big.It it wouldn't of been eating the eggs it would still be alive.

BeerCan
Explorer
Explorer
If he is in central FL than the #1 poisonous snake I see is the diamondback. That is one snake that is very easy to identify. ๐Ÿ˜‰ I see about 15 non poisonous snakes to every 1 poisonous. 99% of the times the snake is trying to get away from us as fast as we are trying to get away from them LOL. I have also seen cottonmouth and coral snakes on the poisonous side. (I am in the woods between 5-15 hours a week)

Actually what scares me more than anything in the woods is the hogs. They seem down right nasty when we come upon them. We see a lot of Alligators also but they seem pretty mellow, but we don't get close enough to make sure.

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
Jetboater asked about the snake because he didn't know - and it's pretty easy to teach someone a lesson without jumping all over him. Some of you guys could cut a person a little slack.

It's pretty easy to find those answers after the fact ... but not on the spur of the moment, when his family might cause a guy to respond safely first. Lots of you guys would have responded differently because you can ID it. At least he fed it to something, instead of wasting it (like buried or trash).

And Jetboater - if you're around snake area, find a snake book and get to know the tell-tail signs of poisonous vs non-poisonous (head shape is one giveaway). It's not hard, and will at least let you take the proper precautions - all snake benefit the wilderness, so we need to protect them too - but keep the family safe while we do it.

And, correct above. We do have some invasive species that damage our ecosystems, and that need attention, so we should all learn about that as well if we spend any time in the nature reserves.
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

MrWizard
fla has a bounty on pythons and NON native constrictor species
they are taking over the everglades and marshes

if it was a python you did good
if it was a pine snake you did bad

judging from the markings behind the head it was a pine snake
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I came across a garden snake in my yard a couple of times. one choked on a toad and the other was coming up out of the ground and got stuck on something and baked in the sun.

Oh there was another......our old Husky ate one whole!!!! took me a couple minutes to figure out that pile of ....!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
When it came to snakes, My father always said, "If it has no shoulders, It has no reason to live."
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

Mootpoint
Explorer
Explorer
gbopp wrote:
My DW would tell you it's a cross between a 40' Anaconda and a King Cobra. :W
I don't especially like snakes but, I would not have killed it.

I wouldn't have killed it either. It's really hard to do while running the other way.:E
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong.

mockturtle
Explorer
Explorer
I'll vote for pine snake, too!
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

Ric_Flair
Explorer
Explorer
I'd rather have snakes than rats.
2013 GMC 3500 DRW 4x4 SLT Duramax
2013 Road Warrior 415 Toy Hauler
2013 Kawasaki 4010 Mule

jetboater454
Explorer
Explorer
If I didn't kill it,the peacocks would of got it anyhow.They love to get snakes.We have a yard full of animals to keep most vermin out.

garysol
Explorer
Explorer
I'll take a snake over rodents any day!
2020 GMC Canyon
2022 NoBo 19.2

tanman32225
Explorer
Explorer
x100 I agree it was senseless to kill that snake. It does more good than harm. If your scared of snakes just leave it alone or shoo it along with a shovel at a safe distance.
We have lots of non poison snakes in Fla. Please dont kill them just because they are a snake. They keep down vermin.

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
You chop up a harmless snake and then post pictures.

As stated the head is a give away.

I always tell them to move on or just relocate.

I would probably raise my head also if something 75 or so times taller than me loomed over.