cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What's Your 2014 Wish for RV Design

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thought this would be a good time for us to voice our wish list for RV designs and perhaps some companies will incorporate them.

Still on our list is for rv makers to let the customers design their own closets. With all the modular closet design products these days it's time for the RV industry to begin incorporating this concept.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus
109 REPLIES 109

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Like your retired mind quote Foreman Chuck. Good one.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins

Magnus

ctpres
Explorer
Explorer
Already have MY 2014 picked out and just spent more time than I want to admit looking for 72 x 76 king bed sheets. Standard bed sizes would be GREAT!
A "Retired" Mind is a Terrible Thing to Waste
Chuck USNR, USAF & USCGA and Suzie
Challenger Owners Club

2015 Thor Challenger 37KT
2014 Ford Fiesta
2011 Sea Eagle 385 FT kayak
2009 Polaris RZR
2014 Zenetto Stealth road bike

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
There is an AC unit by Danhard which solves this problem completely for a "B". It vents out the side, so interior height isn't affected, nor is your motorhome made higher.

SLOW-1
Explorer
Explorer
What I would have loved to have found when I was shopping for an RV in 2008 was a Class A with the standard bedroom in the back and 3 bunks for my 3 kids instead of the big closet in the hallway back to the BR.

Of course if they made one like that in 2014 ... and then I have to wait until 2024 to buy it when the price comes down to semi affordable, then all my kids will be grown and gone.
Take time to be nice to someone today.
1999 Winnebago Adventurer 32 (454 Chevy)
Check out our first cross country trip.

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
SiennaGuy wrote:
This concern primarily affects Class B RVs. I'd really like the interior panel for the air conditioning not eat up so much headroom. Technically, these things are called air distribution panels and they often drop down 2ยฝ inches from the ceiling. I'm sure that an engineer could design a panel with a smaller profile to direct air. In a Class B, every single inch counts.

Most RV manufacturers somehow figure that the person who uses the sink and cooktop doesn't need those 2ยฝ inches of headroom, so the air distribution panels are often placed mid-galley. It shouldn't be a surprise to manufacturers that these days, kitchen duties are often shared by a couple and that some tall men (and women) cook and/or wash dishes.

Precisely. One of the suggestions here is to place the ac unit on the rear wall of an rv in what is essentially unused space. With a class B you wouldn't even need ducting for the rest of the rig.

Magnus

SiennaGuy
Explorer
Explorer
This concern primarily affects Class B RVs. I'd really like the interior panel for the air conditioning not eat up so much headroom. Technically, these things are called air distribution panels and they often drop down 2ยฝ inches from the ceiling. I'm sure that an engineer could design a panel with a smaller profile to direct air. In a Class B, every single inch counts.

Most RV manufacturers somehow figure that the person who uses the sink and cooktop doesn't need those 2ยฝ inches of headroom, so the air distribution panels are often placed mid-galley. It shouldn't be a surprise to manufacturers that these days, kitchen duties are often shared by a couple and that some tall men (and women) cook and/or wash dishes.

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
AncientPath wrote:
I am new to RVing. But I have over 750K miles charter bus driving, and have owned and lived on a 38' offshore sailboat for 6 years.

My wife and I are looking at purchasing a class "A" to live aboard full-time.

But I am very concerned about servicablity of these units.

Lack of spare tire
Lack of metal bumpers
Lack of access to engine and major engine components like belts, fuel and oil filters
Lack of accessibility to tanks for cleaning and service of sending units
Small house battery bank using 6v (probably golf cart) instead of 12v deep cycle
Major electrical panel and fuses just behind the non front bumperโ€“โ€“I bet you blow a front tire, hit a rock or animal, it would take out the whole electrical panel on some of these units.

We have spoke to enough deals at this point to know we bring the unit back to them for repair. However my experience has shown that no matter how faithful we are to our PM mechanical things breakโ€“โ€“and usually at the worst possible time.

My wife and I like a lot that we see for comfort and livability, but I would be wiling to trade off some of that for serviceability.

have you considered doing a bus conversion,or have someone build it for you,
that would be the only way to have exactly what you want and need,,
theres a site devoted to doing just that ,see busnuts online

Fixed_Sight_Tra
Explorer
Explorer
I guess I got lucky when I bought my TH last year because I seem to be one of few people on the planet who wanted a partitioned toy hauler that was 1/2 ton towable which pretty much means hybrid. Mine is 12 years old but as far as I can tell they haven't made one for 11 years.

I do like the lighter wood and stainless interior of the Airstreams. I may end up redoing the interior at some point since apparently I'm not going to be able to replace the trailer.
Big Brother is watching.

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
AncientPath wrote:
I am new to RVing. But I have over 750K miles charter bus driving, and have owned and lived on a 38' offshore sailboat for 6 years.

Lack of spare tire
Lack of metal bumpers
Lack of access to engine and major engine components like belts, fuel and oil filters
Small house battery bank using 6v (probably golf cart) instead of 12v deep cycle
Major electrical panel and fuses just behind the non front bumperโ€“โ€“I bet you blow a front tire, hit a rock or animal, it would take out the whole electrical panel on some of these units.

We have spoke to enough deals at this point to know we bring the unit back to them for repair. However my experience has shown that no matter how faithful we are to our PM mechanical things breakโ€“โ€“and usually at the worst possible time.

My wife and I like a lot that we see for comfort and livability, but I would be wiling to trade off some of that for serviceability.

Well said!;)

Magnus

AncientPath
Explorer
Explorer

Lack of spare tire
Lack of metal bumpers

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
ctpres wrote:
Laundry chute to basement.

My parents 96 HH Premier has a hatch in the hall with a basket below in the basement.

We also have 2 baskets that slide front to back and the door is in the hall way in the bedroom area. Awesome place for extra items .

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
ctpres wrote:
Laundry chute to basement.

My parents 96 HH Premier has a hatch in the hall with a basket below in the basement.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
Baidy wrote:
I would like to see someone come up with a small propane powered generator that only run the refrigerate for use when you're dry camping. That way you could run a simple bar frig and eliminate those useless fridges that we have in trailers now. I've never seen one that holds its temperature in hot or cool days.We don't get consistent temps. And yes we have a genny but you don't to run it 24/7

Truma has the VeGA fuel cell that runs from propane. However, good luck finding a price on this in Europe. There is the methanol fuel cell from EFOY, but you will be paying $7000+ for that.

Would be nice if their fuel cells came down in price. With the constant charge from propane powering the fuel fell and fridge, a compressor fridge would be more than adequate for boondocking.

newman_fulltime
Explorer II
Explorer II
An onboard dianostics that minitors all appliances and when something breaks it tells you what broke