cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

When a sale is not a sale

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
So I'm selling my coach. I posted asking about using NADA as a pricing guide. Immediately had someone start in asking for info, pix, etc. I said I haven't even listed it yet. Have to get it emptied and washed inside/out. He continued to send me texts almost daily. Finally after 3 weeks, I was able to send him some pix. So he and his wife wanted to come see it. . . 2 hours away. He actually lives on the other side of the state close to my son. So he asked if (over Thanksgiving) I could bring it over there so they could see it. I said no. He could come to the coach. So they did that Saturday. They liked what they saw and asked if they could have it inspected. I said yes. That dude came the next day, Sunday, and was there crawling all over it for 5 hours. He found very little except the roof needs resealing. Oil sample revealed no problems with the engine.

So yesterday he calls and we banter back/forth on the price and arrive at a mutually agreed price. He is dealing with a credit union who doesn't wire money, but they handle this like a home closing and would give me a bank check from the credit union. So then he asked if I would drive the coach across the state to where the closing is so he wouldn't have to come get it. I said no. I mean, where would I park it while we do the closing? I told him I had a lot of stuff he needed to get like the spare tire, etc. (I was throwing in a LOT of freebies). He said I could just hook my car up and tow it over with everything in it. I'm selling the coach because my DH just died and I don't hook up the car. His wife works and she can't get off during the week for the meeting and the credit union doesn't want to do it on Saturday. (Not my problem.) So now he says there is no time to "meet up" AND I am unwilling to help them out and bring the coach to him.

I don't think any car dealer or RV dealer would bring a vehicle to a residence for someone to look at and then take it back. Nor would they deliver a vehicle elsewhere to a closing, especially a 40' diesel pusher. Where would you park it? And unhook the toad? And leave it while you signed papers?

When I buy something, I get things lined up so I can take possession. I don't consider that someone else's job. Now he says, "I haven't even driven it." Well that's his fault. He did not want to when he was here. Said he has never drive a big motorhome before.

So I guess we're done. . . he says it's getting too complicated. I told him I was available any time weekday or Saturday, most any time. But I won't deliver it to the big city for him. He can come get it. Incidentally, the first time I drove it was when I drove it home from the dealership. . . no test drive. He also claims he MUST get the new tags and registration right after the transaction. I told him here in Florida he had several days (30) to do that. But he wants to go from the credit union to get it licensed. Again, not my problem.

I haven't held my breath through any of this. I still haven't advertised it, but I'm thinking I will start today. It would be nice to have it gone now, but I'm not desperate. He has been looking for a long time and the inspector told me this is the 5th one he's been hired to look at for him. So he thought he was pretty serious when he paid extra for the oil analysis, since he hadn't on any of the others.

Well, just venting. I'm sure I'll find the right buyer.

Dale

I had to repost this because it was deleted when I placed a for sale note on my coach in my signature. Please note the one left there is NOT for sale. I'm keeping MinnieMee.
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/
48 REPLIES 48

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi Dale,

I'm sorry this has been such an utter pain.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
So today I get a text from him requesting I call him. I guess he can't call me?

I sent him an email requesting a physical address so I could return the $500 he gave me "pending inspection" which was done 10 days ago.

I went ahead and listed it once he told me "it was getting too complicated." I have a potential buyer coming from Alabama next week to look at it. But he's quite adamant he wants it and has made arrangements with his bank to wire the money when the deal is made. We have mutual friends so I know a little about him.

Dale

Update: So the guy playing games sent me his address and said he was sorry it didn't work out. Yeah, well, I'm not. It's all good!
Dale Pace

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer II
Explorer II
Scottiemom wrote:
He hasn't contacted me since Wednesday, so if he does, I think I'm going to tell him I don't think this coach is a good fit for him. And I truly don't.

Dale

This reply will go off-topic, but people will get the gist of it: I had a kayak store, and a man ordered a green/yellow rotomolded kayak. It was loaded with every feature they offered; and because it was a special order, the freight to get one single kayak to my store was $$$$. The boat arrived, the customer loved it and took it home. But once home, his wife teased him that it looked like a banana... so he wanted to know if he could order another one, but this time, "tell the factory to spread the colors around more". (They were made in New Zealand) Then he wanted me to check other stores' inventories, asking for photos. After countless conversations, I finally said "bring it back and I'll give you a full refund" - he did. I lost so much money on that it wasn't even funny - the only good part is that the banana kayak is now MY kayak which I have named "PITA Chiquita" for obvious reasons. And it's always a reminder to avoid the overly-demanding customer. ๐Ÿ™‚
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

MikeDupont
Explorer
Explorer
Seon wrote:
Even though the check was cut in front of the seller, couldn't the buyer put a stop payment on it afterwards? Just asking...not for a friend.

It was a cashiers check or something like that- same as cash to my bank. I think if he had a problem at that point, it would have to go to the courts.

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
Deb and Ed M wrote:
mleekamp wrote:

Bottom line, sometimes deals don't feel right. When the buyer keeps changing or modifying what they are doing or want you to do, walk away.

I sure agree with this!! It seemed Dale was being pressured - and even if it wasn't a "scam" - a buyer that presents as a pain before the sale, often is a worse one after the sale.

This is what I think as well. He told me they have never owned an RV before. . . this will be their first. And he said, "I'm gonna have to have you show me how to do everything." Well, he can hire someone to do that. I can show him the basics, but I'm not RV Boot Camp. Nor do I offer RV driver's training. He hasn't contacted me since Wednesday, so if he does, I think I'm going to tell him I don't think this coach is a good fit for him. And I truly don't.

Dale
Dale Pace

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer II
Explorer II
mleekamp wrote:

Bottom line, sometimes deals don't feel right. When the buyer keeps changing or modifying what they are doing or want you to do, walk away.

I sure agree with this!! It seemed Dale was being pressured - and even if it wasn't a "scam" - a buyer that presents as a pain before the sale, often is a worse one after the sale.
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
I have done a number of larges sales like this both as seller and buyer. I always insist the transaction be done at MY bank. His credit union should be able to transfer to another bank. The bank will have people that will see all the proper paper works done.

I bought a 28ft cabin boat in OK and just went to a bank there. My bank in NM sent the $$ to the OK bank while I waited, the seller was able to get his money before he left. I paid a notary fee and the bank checked the titles, had bills of sale etc. When I got back to NM I had everything I need to get the boat & trailer put in my name except a required sate VIN inspection. (Any type vehicle brought to NM is required to have a VIN checked) Doing the transaction in a bank insures it's done right & no one gets screwed.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
time2roll wrote:
Seon wrote:
Even though the check was cut in front of the seller, couldn't the buyer put a stop payment on it afterwards? Just asking...not for a friend.
There would be far more difficulty. The person would have to demonstrate something extraordinary to cancel the deal with the credit union. Basically it would not be his check to void as he could not claim it was lost or destroyed while in his possession. Also title would be held by the bank and would not be given to the buyer if he tried to cancel the deal. Credit union would probably contact the seller before doing anything so as to keep all parties involved.

This is what I understand. I did ask this question and the credit union said. . . why would we do that. It is the credit union's check, not the buyer's.

My listing is up now, so I hope I find a buyer. I actually have $500 of his money, which was to hold it for the inspection. I told him if he decided to buy it, it would go toward the purchase and if he chose not to, I would refund it. But that was almost a week ago and he has been silent now for 2 days. Last thing he said was, "This is getting way too complicated" and "I haven't even drive it yet."

I've moved on.

Dale
Dale Pace

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Seon wrote:
There would be far more difficulty. The person would have to demonstrate something extraordinary to cancel the deal with the credit union. Basically it would not be his check to void as he could not claim it was lost or destroyed while in his possession. Also title would be held by the bank and would not be given to the buyer if he tried to cancel the deal. Credit union would probably contact the seller before doing anything so as to keep all parties involved.

Seon
Explorer II
Explorer II

MikeDupont
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldnt even take a phone call from the guy at this point. When i sold my first TT, the fellow and i went to his bank and the teller generated a check in front of us. I signed all the paperwork with her as witness and the buyer and i went back to my house to take possession. I helped him hook up and followed him home, Just In Case as he was worried that his SUV didnt have the towing capacity (my TT was 1000# lighter than the one he towed regularly, but that didnt seem to register with him).

Take your time, your buyer is out there.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Scottiemom wrote:
Later in the day the credit union person handling the loan called me and she told me they don't wire funds. I told her I had called them that morning and was told they do. She said no and that I would be getting a credit union check paid from the loan proceeds.
OK so if you are sitting at the CU desk while the buyer does the loan and the CU loan officer hands you the check I would trust that the check will clear.

The question might be if that credit union has a branch that is a bit closer to you. Very common to meet at the buyers bank to get your check, hand over the keys to the buyer, and hand the title papers to the loan officer.

If the price was fair it would not be unreasonable to call the buyer and explain the misunderstanding and talk about your expectations.

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Scottiemom wrote:
I called my niece who is VP of a credit union in another state and she said if the check was from the credit union itself I would have nothing to worry about. Dale

Be careful here...your niece is 100% correct that you won't have any issues with a credit union check.

BUT BEWARE that just because you meet at the credit union and the buyer hands you a check that looks like it's from the credit union that check could be a fake. You assume it's real because you are at the credit union and the buyer hands you a CU check.

Be sure to get the check physically handed to you by an employee of the credit union, not the buyer.

On a separate note, I delivered our TT about 50 miles to the Bronx when we sold it in the spring. I didn't have to, but I did it as an accommodation to make the sale, and for me it was a sentimental last trip with a rig we owned for 13 years and made a lot of great memories with.

There are a LOT of first time buyers in the market right now, and this guy sounds like one of them. Doesn't mean he's not committed, but think back to when you bought your first coach...he wants to be sure he's not buying a lemon and of course needs to know how to work everything. If you don't want to deal with this then your best bet is probably consignment.

In a perfect world you want a buyer to show up and immediately see the value of your mods and maintenance, pull out cash, ask no questions, and drive off. In my case, the guy who bought my TT owned a gas station and wanted to park it around back to use for an office. He didn't own a truck and had no intention of camping anywhere. All my boondocking mods meant nothing. But he paid me what I was asking so I offered to deliver it, set it up, and take his calls with questions about how stuff works.

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
Nv Guy wrote:
I am sorry to hear of your loss and having to deal with all of this.
This person is an uncommitted buyer. He "thinks" he wants to buy a motorhome, but he can't bring himself to complete the process. Hence the 5 other coaches he has had inspected & all the issues he came up with your delivery. In short a perpetual shopper.
Walk away as there will be some sort of "issue" at the credit union and he wont complete the loan.
I would try to find a dealer that would sell the coach on consignment, you will get less, but you won't have to deal with all the issues that large transactions like this bring.

One reason I don't want to deliver it is because of this. . . figure he will find some reason to back out at the last minute. I told my son that I thought he was "afraid" of it. This is his very first RV and I'm surprised he would choose a 40' DP. Wants me to teach him how to do everything.

I don't like the consignment angle as I have looked at a lot of coaches on consignment on lots and they get pretty trashed and dirty by people tramping through them. I may end up doing that but for now I'm advertising it and seeing what happens.

Dale
Dale Pace

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
bucky wrote:
The fact that the alleged Credit Union rep called you out of the blue just confirms that it is a scam. Probably the rip off's wife.

I actually called back at one point and it rang into the Space Coast Credit Union.

Dale
Dale Pace

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5