cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

When to replace LT tires on trailer

JustLabs
Explorer
Explorer
I installed some BFG Commercial T/A tires on my fifth wheel in '09. They're coming up on 7 years old. I inspected them over the weekend and they look great. Plenty of tread,wearing evenly, no sidewall cracking.

Other than having less tread than new,they basically look like fresh tires. I'm having a hard time with the thought of replacing tires that look to be in excellent condition.

Having said that,if I need to throw $800 at new tires I will.
2011 Chevrolet 2500HD LTZ 4x4 CCLB Duramax/Allison
2007 Keystone Cougar 289BHS Fifth Wheel.
11 REPLIES 11

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
According to BFG website warranty is 6 years from manufacturing date and should be replaced after 10 years as a precaution. Use your own judgment.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

BrianinMichigan
Explorer
Explorer
Terryallan wrote:
Look inside the tread. The side walls can look great,, but the tires can still have cracks in the tread

Yep, look between the treads I have found cracks on 4 year old tires. I had Michelins that looked great on the outside but were miserably cracked in between the treads, They were 10 years old.
1990 GEORGIE BOY 28' 454 4BBL, TURBO 400 TRANS,
CAMPING: WHERE YOU SPEND A SMALL FORTUNE TO LIVE LIKE A HOMELESS PERSON.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
If I had spent the money on LT and was not maxed out on rating I would run them ten years.
But I am crazy like that ๐Ÿ™‚

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Look inside the tread. The side walls can look great,, but the tires can still have cracks in the tread
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
If they are LT's I wouldn't worry if they are ST's get em off
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
My rule of thumb has always been: If it's not broken, don't fix it.

If the tire appear to be in good shape, no cracking as you've said, even tread wear, no dry rot, look good, and causing no problems, why change yet? But, there's nothing to say, you might go look at your tires tomorrow and see a gigantic crack on the side. If that happens, then change them out.

It's like anything that get used, you just never know. You may get new tires today, and tomorrow one may blow out. You might be able to keep your current tires on and they may last another 3 years or more.

With all the negative reports I've read on these forums, you've beaten the average. I think you have above average tires. But, you just never know. Keep em, you could have a blow out tomorrow. Change em, and you could have a blow out tomorrow. Who knows?

If it were me, I'd wait longer. I debated in the first year about swapping them out, but kept putting it off, because I saw no evidence to do so. (I got 6 years out of my original DURO tires on my Springdale when I finally found cracking on the side). Not bad for cheap factory installed Chinese tires! So you just never now.

dbbls
Explorer
Explorer
I think it depends on how the tires have been used. If the trailer was used monthly I think you can go longer than 7 years. Rolling the rig keeps the lubricating oils in the rubber out near the surface preventing cracking. I would have no problem going 10 years if used regularly.
2011 F-350 CC Lariat 4X4 Dually Diesel
2012 Big Country 3450TS 5th Wheel

tvman44
Explorer
Explorer
Change them, had a 5 1/2 year old Commercial TA blow last year on our trailer. At least it did not do the damage a ST tire does, as I had no damage.
Papa Bob
1* 2008 Brookside by Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Husky 16K hitch, Tekonsha P3,
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"

cdlaine
Explorer
Explorer
RP,

It is time. The downside outweighs the bragging rights.;) Just for
giggles, check the born on the dating on all the tires. Might be
a skosh older then the application date.

see how easy it is to spend other peoples money. :B

Charles

take em' off , put them on Craigslist... let the next owner decide.
2003 2500HD, 8.1L,CC,4.10,2WD,Allison
Standard bed
Ride-rite air bags
Prodigy
Husky 16K sliding

2013 Artic Fox 29-5T Silver Fox Ed.
Pin wt.(CAT Scale) 2660#
5th (Cat Scale) 12600#

I'll want the Frim Fram sauce with the Ausen Fey with
Chafafa on the side.... Nat

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
My rule - learned the hard way - if start shopping for replacements after 5 years on any tire. Don't have to get it immediately, but try to replace it/them within six months.

I would never take a trailer on a long distance trip with tires over five years old.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Trailer tires even when they are LTs age out vs wear out due to 'lack of use' (sitting) and from sidewall stresses from maneuvering

5-7 yrs avg. tire life

One blow out can cause 1000's of dollars in damage
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31