cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Which tires to replace original TE 225/75/R15/C

MartyW
Explorer
Explorer
We just purchased a 2012 TT with original Trail Express 225/75/R15 (Load Range C) tires (2311 date code). We inspected the tires well at the dealer and we made the trip home ok and now we want to replace these tires before we use the TT.

I've read that many folks like Maxxis, Kumho and Michelin.

One basic thing that I need to understand before picking a brand and load range is the difference between ST & LT tires for our TT which is GVWR 8500 and now has C's. We want to go back with either D's or E's. I've read some folks say that recommended STs are best for TTs and then some other folks say LTs are best ?? Can someone please enlighten me on this ?? And we well be getting a TPMS system also.

Thanks in advance,
Marty
31 REPLIES 31

MartyW
Explorer
Explorer
Reporting back that I did get the Goodyear Cargo G26 tires in 225/70R15 to replace the original TT 225/75R15 tires. They are load range D and spec'd at 2,484 lbs per tire. They look great and when pumped to the recommended 65 psi they appear to me to be the same height as the 225/75R15 tires that were on the TT. I purchased the tires from tirerack.com and the date codes I received were week 40 of 2014. Shipping was quick and the price was good. The only hassle was having to do the swaps myself but now that they're all done I'll feel safer on the road, and we also purchased the TST 507 system to monitor the tires. Thanks again to all who recommended these tires.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
kmbelt wrote:
I too had the dreaded 225/75-15 tires on my camper. I changed them out for LT tires without going to the 16" rims.

I put on the Maxxis Bravo UE-168 in LT235/75R15. I had plenty of space for these tires. They are rated at 2337/tire and are Load Range D tires with a max of 65PSI. This is the same rating as the trailer tires i took off.

Best item i've installed.

OH and be sure to balance them. Installers thought i was crazy for wanting to balance trailer tires, but did it anyways.

Nice find. Those are probably the best option for ST 225 tires.

kmbelt
Explorer
Explorer
I too had the dreaded 225/75-15 tires on my camper. I changed them out for LT tires without going to the 16" rims.

I put on the Maxxis Bravo UE-168 in LT235/75R15. I had plenty of space for these tires. They are rated at 2337/tire and are Load Range D tires with a max of 65PSI. This is the same rating as the trailer tires i took off.

Best item i've installed.

OH and be sure to balance them. Installers thought i was crazy for wanting to balance trailer tires, but did it anyways.
2014 Ram 2500, 6.4 Hemi, CC, 4x4
2010 Puma 259RBSS

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
MartyW wrote:
I have the TV in the driveway with a TT spare tire in the back so I went out and measured both tires.

TV 245/75R15 (Load Range E) - 29 1/2" high x 10.0" wide
TT 225/75R15 (Load Range C_ - 27 3/4" high x 8.5" wide

I've never up-sized on at TT before (have on several trucks), but I don't think there is anything that would impede a little more witdh (no wheel wells),
and 1 3/4" more height may be possible. I'll have to check the TT (at storage lot).

Any thoughts on up-sizing 225 (past 235) to 245 on TT.

Probably will be 235, but trying to consider everything if I can get an E rated 245.

You have to remember your only gaining half of the overall tire height in your wheel well. Also, your tire choices really are limited by your wheel lug pattern, wheither you have 5 lug or 6 lug wheels. If you have 6 lug I would look at maybe going to 16" tires and wheels as I've never heard anyone say oh I think I have too much tire for my trailer. As for my experience, I'm not afraid of ST tires as the 65mph speed limit for them doesn't bother me one bit. I think most people upgrade to LT tires so they can drive faster towing. I upgraded both my 5th wheels from 15" to 16" wheels with Maaxis ST tires.
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

MartyW
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks PartyMarty. Prior to this thread I had absolutely no idea that the ST tires were manufactured with so much less testing. And I wonder if many people really realize this. I sure didn't. When I saw how little they were tested and the main fact being that by "trailer" use that in effect sorta meant they were not being certified to haul "humans". That sure amazed me, and I can't thank the folks here enough.

MartyW
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks goducks10 for your input and will do. It sounds like a super tire with so much reserve capacity and an LT instead of ST to boot.

But we won't be using our TT again until Spring and I was thinking probably better to wait to purchase/swap in the Sprint instead of having them sit outside over the Winter. In a way I'd like to get it done now but it seems to make more sense to wait till Spring.

Now I need to start learning about TPMS systems.

PartyMarty
Explorer
Explorer
It is refreshing to see that the OP has studied this subject and figured out that the continued recommendation to utilize ST tires is not as good a solution as making the switch to LT rated tires .
Too many posters on this forum seem to " glaze over " with the technical and just plain give up trying to understand that ST tires are made to a lower price point .
ST tires work as long as they are just sitting .
But for hauling trailers in 110 degree temps there is no substitute to swapping out the lighter weight ST tires in favor of the heavier standard LT tires .

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Come back and give us a follow up review. I already have the required rims and would be interested to see how the G26 works for you.

MartyW
Explorer
Explorer
Many thanks to all who responded on this thread. Your knowledge and expertise is greatly appreciated. And thanks to Lowsuv for recommending the GY G26 Cargo.

The plan is to go with the Goodyear Cargo G26 heavy LT tires at 225/70R15 on the existing wheels fitted with upgraded metal valve stems.

Many thanks again to all,
Marty

MartyW
Explorer
Explorer
Great catch goducks10 !!

Yes, the axle would actually only be a half inch lower. Great !!

This morning I spoke with the tech who installed the hitch and he said the 1" would probably be ok without adjustment, and now I feel confident that we'll be ok. That's wonderful...

Many thanks !!

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Isn't it only 1/2" in height? 1/2" on top and 1/2" on the bottom.

MartyW
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the continued input JimNLin! I'll look at the other tires you mentioned today.

I emailed the folks who sell the wheels, Series06, this morning and Lowsuv was exactly correct in his prediction. The Series06 folks said the 65 psi would be fine on that wheel as long as we upgrade to a suitable valve stem with the load range D tire.

Knowing now that 65 psi is ok on the wheels, the 15" are sounding good again and that Goodyear Cargo G26 at 225/70R15 is sounding really good.

I'm going to contact the dealer that installed the EQ hitch and ask them what changes in height, 1" higher or lower, will do to the current EQ setup.

Many thanks again

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Michelin has a tire called Symmetry in 225/70R16 that has a 107T rating. I've been looking back and forth at this one for a while this afternoon, as well as looking at others too. The Michelin site says the tire is intended for large passenger cars like Ford Crown Victoria. Seems strange to me that this "car" tire has higher weight rating than the tires they show in this size for light trucks.

Keep in mind the P tire's load rating shall be reduced by dividing by 1.10 before calculating the sum when used on a trailer.
Example is a 107T rating is now at 1950 lbs capacity. Many P tire have just one sidewall ply so I wouldn't be concerned of a difference in load capacity.
The LT225/75-16 E has a 115 load rating.

I also did check on the BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/A in the LT225/70R16 size but that load range C tire is only rated as 102R, 1874 lbs per tire.

A all terrain (AT) type tread with those large lugs and voids isn't the best choice for a tire on a highway trailer. Those larger lugs/voids can create tread roll/trailer tracking issues.

BFG's better choice is the BFG Commercial T/A 2 LT tire which they recommend for commercial use.

Look at the Firestone Transforce HT.
also the Goodyear Wrangler HT...
also the Cooper HT3 AS...
The AS or HT tires are a all season type of tread and make a better tire choice on your trailer.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Lowsuv
Explorer
Explorer
You probably do not need to replace your wheels.
I don't know what brand Seri06 is so I am not looking at their website .
What the charts often say is : "1820 # at 50 psi "
What this means is you need to inflate to 50 psi to get the 1820 # rating .
That means that 45 psi does not get the maximum 1820 # rating .
Your best bet is to email the wheel manufacturer and ask them the exact specific question such as : " I want to install a load range D 225/70R15 tire on this Seri06 wheel and inflate it to 65 psi to utilize the maximum weight capacity of the tire . "
Many on this site have mistaken the charts to limit psi .
Further , CapriRacer has posted on this forum that he would consider inflation to 80 psi to get the most safety from a load range E tire even if a wheel is a 65 psi wheel .
The tire is the weakest link .
The wheel has been engineered to withstand high load and sideload weights and psi is a minor consideration to those engineering standards .
A wheel does not fail catastrophically due to psi .
The wheel can develop a hairline crack due to whatever abuse and will simply leak out the air .
That air loss may make the tire overheat and blow out .
But too much psi does not create the hairline crack .
A wheel does fail catastrophically due to curbing , high side loads , or other abuse .