cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do they put the head of the bed up against a window??

Jedidad
Explorer
Explorer
The majority of floorplans in rigs I've been looking at (A's and C's) have the dang bed up against window. I like to sit up in bed and read or watch TV and the thought of my fat @$$ leaning against thin RV glass makes me nervous. Not to mention the thermal loss where all the heat from my head is leeching out through the window on a cold night.
10 REPLIES 10

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
On our unit, the required “escape” is across the bedroom, above the bedroom storage drawers. The storage drawers have a desk top which offers good access to the escape window. Much like the aforementioned Montana, we have windows to each side of the bed, which is real nice for ventilation when using the Fantastic Fan when “not” using the ac.
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

AJR
Explorer
Explorer
I really hate a cold draft or very hot spot to put my head when I go to bed.

The window above the headboard is a criteria I look for when buying a camper. If it is there. I am not interested. I spent too many nights out in real cold to put up with a cold draft on my head. Or sticking my head into an oven.

You can lean against that glass all you want. When you try to sleep is when the class gets you.

I tried to mitigate the glass on my last class C with an aluminized bubble panel. Marginal results happened.

Nuff Said…
2007 Roadtrek 210 Popular
2015 GMC Terrain AWD

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
wa8yxm wrote:
Actually that is an excellent question I mean that part of the room can get COLD or HOT depending on time of year. not comfortable at all. But I will attempt and answer and give a suggestion or two.

THe window is not just a window. It's an ESCAPE window.. And heaven forbid there is a fire in the RV.. ANYWHERE other than the bed (If it is the bed you are already in tribble) YOu open the window and basically dive or sommersault out.. Do not delay. Do not reach for trousers.. Just get outta there before the toxic smoke drops you like a rock.

What I DID
I have a hand woven wool blanket that is basically useless. Save as a wall hanging. The wall I hung it on.. Said window (Between Window and shade)

Reflectx is the other suggestion .

I use thick cardboard, with cutouts for the emergency handles. But then, we think any window in the bedroom just lets in light, therefore, it isn't a good idea.
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
"The majority of floor plans in rigs I've been looking at (A's and C's) have the dang bed up against window.

It's so you get to decide who to slap first. The space designer (floor planner) or the interior designer. (decorator).

OR: None of the above. . . . . . . It's a fire exit. (required)

Chum lee

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Actually that is an excellent question I mean that part of the room can get COLD or HOT depending on time of year. not comfortable at all. But I will attempt and answer and give a suggestion or two.

THe window is not just a window. It's an ESCAPE window.. And heaven forbid there is a fire in the RV.. ANYWHERE other than the bed (If it is the bed you are already in tribble) YOu open the window and basically dive or sommersault out.. Do not delay. Do not reach for trousers.. Just get outta there before the toxic smoke drops you like a rock.

What I DID
I have a hand woven wool blanket that is basically useless. Save as a wall hanging. The wall I hung it on.. Said window (Between Window and shade)

Reflectx is the other suggestion .
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

RockyMt
Explorer
Explorer
That why I bought my Montana trailer, windows are on the sides!

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Because then nobody will sit on your head :B

JimR

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Because then nobody will sit on your head :B

JimR

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
The thought of your ass against the window makes me nervous!

Use a big pillow. Get double-pane windows. It's possibly a matter of safety to have a fire escape window at the head of the bed
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
Just get one of those plush bedrests. Put it up against the window, then sit against it.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)