cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Will an EZ-Pass transponder work with a cabover?

slacker_cruster
Explorer
Explorer
I have a truck camper. I was instructed to mount the transponder a little under the rear view mirror on the windshield. I was wondering if the cabover is going to be a problem with reading the transponder. Anyone try it on a TC or Class C cabover?

Thanks!
9 REPLIES 9

moebedick
Explorer
Explorer
F250 space cab toting a Northstar Freedom that overhangs my windshield about 18". Transponder wouldn't work anywhere in the cab on trip back to Massachusetts from Utah. Even tried holding it out the drivers side window. Replaced it with a front bumper mounted transponder and problem solved. Beware! People will steal them off the truck,so you must use locking screws ( special tool required to remove and install).

slacker_cruster
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the feedback!

I'm using the PA TP going from Pitts to NY.

slacker_cruster
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE wrote:
I would imagine a fair few of both sorts have done that. I haven't generally heard of problems with it there for class C's, and would not expect that truck campers would have problems either. If it doesn't read, it may do better on the dashboard at the base of the windshield, or in the worst case you can get a transponder that mounts to the front license plate mount. Alternately, particularly if you have a front window on the truck camper, you could put it up there rather than in the truck cab proper.

If the transponder can't be read, they'll generally read (photograph) the license plate of the vehicle and find the account that way. That can also happen when the battery in the transponder wears out.

Thanks! Didn't know it had a battery. Thought it was just a chip.

WNYBob
Explorer
Explorer
Mine didn't work behind the mirror! (got charged max rate on NY Thruway) I just set it on the dash at the windshield, worked fine there.

Watch the signs to make sure it registered, if not make sure you know the date, time, exit number and lane, then call ez-pass for the state your in.

OldRadios
Explorer
Explorer
Ours didn't work half the time mounted up by the mirror. The cabover did block the signal at some toll booths. Moved it to the bottom center of the windshield and no more problems.
2006 Fleetwood 26Q
2010 Harley Softail Toad
2015 Ford Focus Toad
Upstate (the other) New York

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
I have a class C and I have a plate mounted unit, works fine.
Proud father of a US Marine

Jack_Spratt
Explorer
Explorer
Mine is next to the mirror and works fine with our
AF 811 on
Leprechaun 260 DSF
2017 Big Horn FL3750

'10 Yellow Lab to keep us on our toes.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
TC - EZ pass
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would imagine a fair few of both sorts have done that. I haven't generally heard of problems with it there for class C's, and would not expect that truck campers would have problems either. If it doesn't read, it may do better on the dashboard at the base of the windshield, or in the worst case you can get a transponder that mounts to the front license plate mount. Alternately, particularly if you have a front window on the truck camper, you could put it up there rather than in the truck cab proper.

If the transponder can't be read, they'll generally read (photograph) the license plate of the vehicle and find the account that way. That can also happen when the battery in the transponder wears out.