cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

winterizing dump valves

RV_daytrader
Explorer
Explorer
after final tank dump, do you leave valves open, close valves, or close valves and pour in enough pink antifreeze to keep valve seal wet??...tia
YODA...our lil Toyota!
1989 Toyota Seabreeze
8 REPLIES 8

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
I have never given any thought to the valves. When winterizing some of the pink stuff ends up at the valve. My black tank has 2 valves, one at the tank, the other at the hose connection. The one at the hose has always remained dry. Never had a problem after 9 years.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

weathershak
Explorer
Explorer
Before I went FT, When I winterized and got done running antifreeze thru the fresh water lines, down the toilet and P traps, there was enough antifreeze down there to protect the valves.
Full timing it since July 2012

Mocoondo
Explorer II
Explorer II
downtheroad wrote:
This choice:
" pour in enough pink antifreeze to keep valve seal wet"

Note that with this method, you are only keeping the lip of one seal wet. With the blade closed, the remaining seal is on the other side of the blade. In the end, the lifespan of the valve will always be limited to its weakest link, in this case, the "dry" seal.

If you really want to be proactive in prolonging the life of your seals, the valve should remain open and spray some rubber protectant up in the termination valve. That is the best case scenario, and even doing this, you are only coating a very small part of the seal. I personally don't even bother.

For those who have never seen a dump valve and its seals before, here is what one looks like:

Also noteworthy is that the plastic blade is what actually keeps your "business" contained. The rubber seals exist to keep the pipes sealed. In this photo, you can see the gap between the seal and the valve:

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on the antifreeze in the lines.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Valves open, cap off.

Sounds like a open door critter hotel to me....rodents, bees, etc...
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

Mocoondo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Valves open, cap off.

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
This choice:
" pour in enough pink antifreeze to keep valve seal wet"
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

harold1946
Explorer
Explorer
You got it. Close the valves and add some pink stuff. One or two cups should be plenty in each. Don't forget to put a cup where there is a P-trap,sinks and shower.
Harold and Linda
2009 CT Coachworks siena 35V
W-22 Workhorse 8.1L
Explorer Sport toad