cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Woodsmoke Campground Pet Policy

Kaz
Explorer
Explorer
We have reservations for a week next February at the Woodsmoke Campground in Fort Myers, FL. We got an e-mail yesterday that reads in relevant part as follows:
Just call us the poo patrol. Starting in the 16/17 season we will be implementing a new program in order to deal with the constant dog waste issue. We will be using the company, Poo Prints. This company provides a service that keeps track of a dogโ€™s DNA so that when dog waste is found they can test it and determine what dog it belongs to. Unfortunately, what weโ€™ve tried in the past hasnโ€™t worked and the dog waste issue has worsened. In order to keep a clean environment that is beneficial to all people we have chosen to try something new.

This Fall/Winter everyone who has a dog will be required to bring the dog to the office upon check in to get their cheek swabbed with a q-tip. There will be a one time $20 per dog registration fee. Depending on the dogโ€™s temperament the owner might need to be the one doing the swabbing. We will then send this q-tip off to Poo Prints where they will store the information. (Poo Prints charges us $40 for each registered dog.)

If waste is found around the park that hasnโ€™t been picked up by the owner then a sample of it will be shipped off to Poo Prints. They will then let us know which dog it matches. Once a match is found then the owner of that dog will be fined $75.00. (Poo prints charges us $75 for each time we submit a sample.)

This is the only solution that pinpoints who the owner is and avoids wrongful accusations. We wish it didnโ€™t have to come to this, but this issue has gotten out of hand. Weโ€™d like to correct the situation so that all campers can enjoy the beauty of the park and not have to watch where they step. You can check out the Poo Prints website if youโ€™d like more information too.

Thanks,
Woodsmoke Management

A few questions/comments:
  • I've never heard of such a thing before, and it seems unbelievably weird. Has anyone ever heard of anything like this anywhere else?
  • I guess I understand what the campground is driving at, but I've never been anywhere in over 40 years of RV'ing where the dog poo problem is so bad that it would call for extreme measures.
  • If the Woodsmoke clientรจle is so slovenly that the campground has to resort to DNA profiling to solve the problem, I bet dog poo is only one reason I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want to stay there.
  • It seems like less intrusive options exist. Like maybe signing a form that says, "On my honor, I will pick up after my dog..." If someone is so dishonorable that he'd violate that covenant, I'd worry more about getting my stuff stolen than stepping in dog poo.
  • It also seems like if one leaves without having dog poo seized by the Doggie-DNA forces, one ought to get a refund of the DNA profiling fee.

Anyway, unless I get some comfort that this isn't as bizarre as it seems at first blush, I guess I'll cancel the reservation and stay somewhere better. Thoughts?

Skip
Skip
K4EAK
2013 Thor ACE 30.1
52 REPLIES 52

Billinwoodland
Explorer
Explorer
We travel with two dogs, and always tote the doggy bag when we take them for a walk, so we never leave waste behind. If I was going to be at that park for a month, I might consider the fee. However, I would most likely go elsewhere, feeling as though I am paying for the bad apples. Why not place security cameras in the most troublesome locations? They're cheap. You get a violator, go back to the video and you have your man, or dog. BTW, I'm going to guess the turnaround time for the DNA sample is at least a week, maybe 2, not including the fecal shipping. Video seems much more practical and time efficient.
2008 Monaco Monarch 34 sbd

RV_Sam
Explorer
Explorer
RV daytrader wrote:
As a non-dog owner,I would be MORE likely to stay at such a campground! No poop smell and if it keeps dog owners from camping there, then less barking also! a win-win!

I'll second that.

Slownsy
Explorer
Explorer
It is a free world peaple, the owner makes the rules, we have 3 dogs and they have a 2 dog rule so we went elsewhere, and we do pick up and hate it when others don't this afternoon a tortes left a rather large calling card under ouer awning.
Frank.
Frank
2012 F250 XLT
4x4 Super Cab
8' Tray 6.2lt, 3.7 Diff.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Their website lists lower prices than this campground is indicating, so they are also marking the costs up to make a profit. I wouldn't even stay here. We don't stay anywhere that charges for our pet. BUT WE DO PICK UP EACH AND EVERY TIME!

camperforlife
Explorer
Explorer
I have two dogs and read every post so here goes my reply.

If I was only going to stay one night and never come back, no way would I pay $20 per pooch. If I was staying a week or someplace I frequented and it was a one time fee, I'd gladly pay. I'm use to seeing campgrounds charge $6-$7 a day per dog so on an extended stay this is no different.

I live on two acres and I pick up after my dogs at home. I don't care to walk in the stuff no matter where I am.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's such a goofy idea that I would almost consider bringing extra from someone else's dog with me and leaving it in the campground. Then they will try and figure out who's it is. And when it comes back as belonging to no one it would be even funnier. Just another way to make money, like the overpriced firewood some places sell!

Also what happens if a coyote or raccoons poop in a site. Who is going to clean that up! And who is that going to come back too!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Bears_Den
Explorer
Explorer
Well, just like having kids, the grownups need to be held responsible for their pets actions. I once stepped in a pile at Fort wilderness in a non pet loop and proceeded to drag it into my TT before I knew I had stepped in it. If I could have gotten my hands on the owner I probably would not be writing this now. I love dogs, it's non responsible dog owners that I don't like.
2014 Kodiak 279 rbsl
2017 Ford F-150 King Ranch V8
Equalizer hitch
Ford integrated brake controller
2004 Travel Lite 23S Hybrid Travel Trailer ( previous trailer )
1998 Viking Popup ( previous trailer )

No substitute for experience

1968mooney
Explorer
Explorer
tdiller wrote:
I've rad through this entire thread and here are some of my thoughts.

1. This Poo Patrol thing is new so I'm sure the rv park mentioned is not loosing money by charging only part of the registration fee. Poo Patrol is trying to get itself on the map.
2. Problem I see is what if say my dog has a bit of a runny problem and I can't get all of the waste up and some is left? how much effort does one have to make to get everything?
3. I work in the credit reporting field and I am a big advocate for privacy. In fact my credit report or fica score always comes back with not enough data to calculate. If this becomes a national trend then can your homeowners insurance tap into this and calculate or adjust your rates based on the type of dog you have? Charging more for what many consider to be dangerous breeds? Will campgrounds tap into this same thing and charge more based on the breed of dog?
4. I almost think it would be less expensive for the park to hire a doggie doodoo detail for those who aren't doing their part in picking up after the dog. but the problem with that would be then no one would pick up after their pets.

Call you Ins. Co. and ask if they would consider letting you pay more for housing a "dangerous breed" of dog. I think you will find they will cancel the policy because they cannot charge enough to justify the risk.

I agree with (4). Increase the fee at the park enough to justify hiring a poo patrol. Only increase it on the pet owners that stay there. Let the non-owners have a break. Think you will have very few pet owners staying and will make more room for the non-owners.

tdiller
Explorer
Explorer
I've rad through this entire thread and here are some of my thoughts.

1. This Poo Patrol thing is new so I'm sure the rv park mentioned is not loosing money by charging only part of the registration fee. Poo Patrol is trying to get itself on the map.
2. Problem I see is what if say my dog has a bit of a runny problem and I can't get all of the waste up and some is left? how much effort does one have to make to get everything?
3. I work in the credit reporting field and I am a big advocate for privacy. In fact my credit report or fica score always comes back with not enough data to calculate. If this becomes a national trend then can your homeowners insurance tap into this and calculate or adjust your rates based on the type of dog you have? Charging more for what many consider to be dangerous breeds? Will campgrounds tap into this same thing and charge more based on the breed of dog?
4. I almost think it would be less expensive for the park to hire a doggie doodoo detail for those who aren't doing their part in picking up after the dog. but the problem with that would be then no one would pick up after their pets.

TyroneandGladys
Explorer
Explorer
IMHO besides fining a guest who is caught not picking up fine any guest walking a dog if they do not have at least one unused bag.
Tyrone & Gladys
27' 1986 Coachmen

tpi
Explorer
Explorer
I commented upthread, but do have one further thought: The name Woodsmoke does seem a bit ironic in this context. I've not been bothered much at all by dog poop, and I usually have not been bothered by campfires. I've usually enjoyed them. But a few times, I've had tons of smoke from a bad campfire blow directly in my site. Certainly woodsmoke has been more annoying to me overall than dog poop!

BizmarksMom
Explorer
Explorer
As a dog owner myself, I am all for this idea!

It would be nice if they took it a step further and issued a $100 fine every time they saw a dog running around off leash. I don't care if it's a 5# chihuahua or an 80# German Shepherd -- they shouldn't be running all over the campground.
2019 F350 towing a Nash 22H

nomad_297
Explorer
Explorer
What are they going to do about the tent campers who are so far away from the bathrooms, they just poop where they please? They might start swabbing every visitor to their campground and charging a fee after they discover their first non-dog poop pile.

Bruce

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
And I find it funny how they want us to take something that is 100% natural and biodegradable

It can also carries diseases dangerous to humans and other animals.

dodge guy wrote:
and put it in a plastic bag that will take at least 100 years to break down! kind of odd to do something like that. No I`m not saying to leave it, but there has to be a better option.

Most pet stores sell paper or biodegradable plastic poop bags.

I've yet to see someone using the paper ones, but I've seen the bio plastic ones.

However, most of us have a near endless supply of plastic bags from grocery stores and Walmart - and that is what I see most people use.

It's up to the pet owner as to how 'environment friendly' they want to be, and how much extra they want to spend for those bags.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT