cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Workcamper News

2freelife
Explorer
Explorer
My hubby & I were fulltime rv'rs for 7 years. He got tired of workcamping & wanted to retire. So here we are sitting in an old folks resort in a park model in Arizona. He sits in a recliner all day watching t.v. I have 2 questions....1. Do any of you think it is advantages to have a subscription to workcamper to locate jobs? 2. Do any of you think a 62 yr old active, great shape woman could find jobs as a solo workcamper. I just can't stand the thought of sitting here letting life go by waiting to die. I'm thinking of going out on my own, but I would need to make at least $1,000 a month to supplement my income. I would love to hear advice. Thanks....
22 REPLIES 22

Petruschke
Explorer
Explorer
@2freelife - We'd love to talk to you about working for Amazon. If you are interested, first, take a look at our Facebook site - lots of comments from our experienced campers, and then apply at www.amazon.com/camperforce - choose the location you are most interested in & apply. You'll be called for an interview and we'll tell you all about the jobs we have available. If you want to talk to someone before you apply, email camperforce@amazon.com and we'll set up time for a call.

Also, take a look at coolworks.com - lots of RV (and not) seasonal jobs on there and seems to be lots for singles and best part.....its free!

Any questions specifically about the CamperForce Program - you can email me at petrusch@amazon.com - I am the program manager.

Good luck & safe travels!

PamelaP

2freelife
Explorer
Explorer
I got hired by "Delaware North" to work from May to October in Yellowstone. I applied through "Cool Works." I'm very excited about this. They do hospitality in many different states, so it could give me a chance to do a little traveling again. I will work in a restaurant. My husband is still telling me he won't go. He just wants to be retired. He's been retired for 1yr 4 mo. & does nothing but watch t.v. I hope he comes to his senses. I bought a used 21ft 5th wheel. I pulled it home today by myself. It was scarey at first but I did good. It's light weight. Maybe if he sees I'm totally serious he'll decide to join me on a new adventure. If not, I'll have my own adventure. I refuse to spend my retirement years sitting in a recliner 16 hours a day. Thanks to everyone for suggestions.

mikeleblanc413
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for your question afrescop. I joined Workamper News on December 1st and obtained the job I will have from May till October from Workamper News monthly magazine. I have talked to a number of prospective employers for 2015, but nothing is confirmed. I look at every interview as an opportunity to refine my approach and resume. With my resume I want to invite an interview from the first sentence by saying as much as possible with as few words as necessary. Getting a Workamper position is exactly like getting any other job; it's all about selling yourself. A real advantage is that Workamper jobs are short term, so if you get into a position and find out the fit isn't as perfect as you thought you only need to deal with it a short while. You reevaluate your approach for the next opportunity. I'm excited about the possibilities for 2015.
Mike LeBlanc
The Piney Woods Of East Texas
Lufkin, Texas

Irover
Explorer
Explorer
I used WKN from the fall of 09' to The spring of 2012. I secured four jobs from the Hotline; three of them I worked for twice. In 1998; I secured 1 job while I was on a three month vacation from my full-time job. In 2000 secured a Summer P-T job while on a vacation for 60 days! Irover

afrescopXx
Explorer
Explorer
mikeleblanc413 wrote:
I like Workamper News. GREAT VALUE! I like the resume section and the fact that you can edit and the change shows immediately. You can mail your resume and a short intro to any email address...doesn't have to be advertising at Workamper. I'm constantly reworking the resume to be more effective.

Since being a Workcamper News subscriber how many jobs have you gotten?

mikeleblanc413
Explorer
Explorer
I like Workamper News. GREAT VALUE! I like the resume section and the fact that you can edit and the change shows immediately. You can mail your resume and a short intro to any email address...doesn't have to be advertising at Workamper. I'm constantly reworking the resume to be more effective.
Mike LeBlanc
The Piney Woods Of East Texas
Lufkin, Texas

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
At 62 (and active) you are way to young to sit around. Perhaps hubby will come to his senses but you go for it girl! I don't blame you one bit for looking. It sounds like a boring place to be.

Go smaller for a unit if it is just one of you.
Donna

AprilWhine
Explorer
Explorer
hocker wrote:
There are jobs out there that don't require an RV...workers live in dorms. Last summer we worked for Xanterra at Mt Rushmore; there were several retired folks, couples and solos, working there for three to six months and living in the dorm, meals were provided in the employee dining room at the memorial. Lots of parks have set-ups like this.

Here's a link to a free site for finding seasonal jobs with housing: Cool Works
1997 Prevost by Angola towing 2014 Honda CRV
OR
2008 Winnebago View towing 2015 Fiat 1957 Anniversary Edition
Pick one

hocker
Explorer
Explorer
There are jobs out there that don't require an RV...workers live in dorms. Last summer we worked for Xanterra at Mt Rushmore; there were several retired folks, couples and solos, working there for three to six months and living in the dorm, meals were provided in the employee dining room at the memorial. Lots of parks have set-ups like this.
Jon & Sherry
Fulltimers - WOOHOO!

HappyKayakers
Explorer
Explorer
Considering the part of the country you're in, you already know that there are lots of paid positions in the Black Hills and Yellowstone during the summer. From there, it would be a short drive to Grand Forks ND for the sugar beet harvest. Then head to KS or KY for a few months with Amazon. Depending on how frugal you are you may be able to take a few months off before repeating.

Please note that the last 2 jobs can be very physically demanding.
Joe, Mary and Dakota, the wacko cat
Fulltiming since 2006
2006 Dodge 3500 QC CTD SRW Jacobs Exhaust brake
2017 Open Range 3X388RKS, side porch

2freelife
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for your suggestions. I will look into Hoodoo in WA state, & volunteer.gov. 1 year ago I agreed to sell our fulltime unit (35 foot Everest). I regret it, but it was intimidating for me to pull, & expensive on gas. I insisted we keep our diesel truck because I believed he'd want to travel again. We bought a park model in a senior community. I feel like I'm living in a dead zone. People mostly sit inside, & although I'm 62, they are all very, very old acting. I will have to buy a used smaller size 5th wheel to use. Money will be tight, but I have some. I am going to do a phone interview for a position in Montanna on Friday, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I'm holding out hope that my hubby will decide to join the living again. If he doesn't I have to join the living myself. I don't like being retired, or sitting in one place all the time. My husband won't even take a week long trip. He's not sick, just gave up I guess. He won't consider my feelings at all.

Fulltimer50
Explorer
Explorer
Since the question seems to be about activity rather than moving/being on the road, why not talk to the manager of the park where you are now. Perhaps there is a need that you could fill part-time.

Can you say "Welcome to Walmart"??
George

2011 F350 PSD CC LB 4X4 DRW Lariate
2015 Mobile Suites 41RSSB4 5th Wheel

botts12
Explorer
Explorer
We have always found work camping jobs through volunteer.gov or with state parks. Your husband does not have to work to get one of these jobs. We know a lady in SC who has worked for years and her husband does not due to a disability. She loves it. If you would like more info, please send me a personal message.
By the way, we love our work camping jobs. While we don't get paid we get a free site and meet lots of people. We only work camp in the summer months.

wtmtnhiker
Explorer
Explorer
I got a great summer job in my home state of NH for this upcoming season. It was a job advertised in Workamper News.
bgbassman(bluegrass bass man)