cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Worthwhile fix/repairing AC/DC Norcold frig?

ljwarner
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2.7 cubic foot Norcold AC/DC refrigerator that has started giving me issues. It was installed new in the truck in 2009 and has been used quite a bit. It runs but doesn't cycle off and it doesn't cool much. Norcold doesn't make the Model anymore and since this is my first refrigerator in AC/DC, was wondering if it's worthwhile looking into having it checked out/fixed if possible or should I just replace it with another Norcold?
Thanks!
4 REPLIES 4

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
ljwarner wrote:

Is Dorm considered a "better" fridge than Norcold?

"Dorm" is not a brand, but a general style of fridge--the cheap little cubes or cube-and-a-half fridges that college students use in dorm rooms and professionals use in department break rooms when there isn't anything better available. Typically, they're about as cheap and inefficient as household fridges come. Thanks to modern manufacturing processes and high volume manufacturing, that doesn't really mean they're particularly unreliable.

The Norcold should be better in most ways, certainly more energy efficient and quite possibly better built. I suspect some here were imagining you had an absorption fridge (which could also be used on propane), which is quite a different beast altogether with its own advantages and drawbacks.

ljwarner
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies. I would like to have someone that knows them look at it but unfortunately I don't know of anyone or a place to take it to. Camping World??
If I need to replace it, I'd like to stick with the AC/DC style as that has serviced me well. It's in my work truck and I do have an inverter on the truck but it is dedicated to running my power tools and don't want to over extend that for the fridge. As it is now, the fridge runs off the truck batteries or shore power.

Is Dorm considered a "better" fridge than Norcold?

MrWizard
I don't think Norcold actually made them
they were re-branded, made by some other mfg

that said, it will use less power than a Dorm fridge
if you are off grid a bunch then i would check on repairs
but you may have to get a new one
they use normal refrigerant
the special part is the variable speed DC Compressor, usually a Dan Foss design
you need somebody familiar with these to see if there is a motor problem or a power supply problem
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Adam_H
Explorer
Explorer
Probably a better option would be to install a similar sized dorm fridge 120VAC only. Will work much better, MUCH cheaper and if you really need DC, use an inverter....

Adam
2007 Fleetwood Avalon HW PUP
2001 Excursion 6.8L V10 3.73
2005 F150 5.4L
Gone but not Forgotten: 1971 Trailstar PUP, 2002 Fleetwood Wilderness Northwest Edition, 2002 Keystone Bobcat 280-EB