cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

would you pay $41 to enter a National Park?

tsetsaf
Explorer III
Explorer III
I am calling BS on this story. Read it and the implication is that folks would be okay with an 80% increase in entrance fees if it ensured they would see a bear Article
2006 Ram 3500
2014 Open Range
"I don't trust my own advise!"
93 REPLIES 93

dewey02
Explorer II
Explorer II
Johno02 wrote:
If you are not aware of it, the fees for National Parks access goes directly to Washington and into the general budget. Meanwhile, the budget for National Parks is being cut more and more, down to the point that there is very little or no maintenance staff, and fewer Rangers. At at least one major National monument, visited by thousands daily, there is no handicap access to restrooms or the biggest part of the monument. The equipment is there, but is not used due to the cost of maintenance. So, if you want to see our National parks, you better do it before they are all sold to private companies and the price will really go up then! Most visitor facilities and shops are already being run by private contractors,and volunteers working for free.

Where are people getting this information?
While this was true a long time ago, it hasn't been the case for almost 20 years.
If local rangers are telling this to visitors, they are probably seasonals that don't have any idea about funding or budgeting in the Federal recreation programs.

The Fee Demonstration program began in 1996 and this ultimately led to formalization of the program across all Federal properties with Recreation programs via the Recreation Enhancement Act in December of 2004.
I am a retired federal lands recreation manager and I am very familiar with the recreation enhancement act. It literally amounted to millions of dollars that we were able to keep and spend on crews, maintenance, and other recreation-related projects on the same unit that collected the fees.
Here is a link directly to Yellowstone's website which says the park keeps 80% of all the fees they collect. (The other 20% stays with the NPS, but can be used anywhere across the country. This is done to help out less visited parks.)
Link to Yellowstone NP fee page

KJINTF
Explorer
Explorer
WyoTraveler

I agree 100%
You used the word "had" as compared to "have" guess you are not there anymore
We still use the word "have" Wolf, Griz, Black, Elk, Moose, Turkey, Coyote, Deer, Eagles, Osprey, etc......
It's wonderful and even better very few if any folks here they tend to hang out at the land of "no"

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Pay me $41 and I'll show you some bears and wolves. Pay me first in case you get too close. LOL Probably see as many grizzles and wolves in the national forests for free. We had both grizzles and wolves on our property. Grizzles like the apples off our trees.

Homer1
Explorer
Explorer
In the Smokey Mountain Nat'l park it will cost you 00$ and you will almost invariably see at least one black bear. However, be prepared to drive in bumper to bumper traffic all day long.

kcmoedoe
Explorer
Explorer
Even at $66.00 a 7 day pass to Yellowstone and Grand Teton parks is a fantastic bargain. And I have no doubt visitation wouldn't drop a bit if that became the going rate. There are already several national parks at $50.00 and that only gets you the one park, not two like the Yellowstone/Grand Teton pass does.

KJINTF
Explorer
Explorer
National Parks - The Land of "NO"
Too many people ruin the place - they love it to death
There are hundreds of places where you can be as close to bears as you desire
Griz or Black or Brown what ever you desire
Check out a National Forrest far less use of the word "NO" you can not do that what ever it is you want to do

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
No real facts on the fees, just what I was told by the Park Service and COE Rangers. Money put into the donation boxes does get to stay at the facility where it was donated.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
tsetsaf wrote:
I am calling BS on this story. Read it and the implication is that folks would be okay with an 80% increase in entrance fees if it ensured they would see a bear Article

Sorry, I cannot and will not trust "news" sources from a local TV station. Kalj18 is not Reuters.

The content is supposedly the results of a "survey." Accuracy, and methods used unknown. "Figures don't lie but liars figure." Professor of statistics.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
Got Bears?

http://flatheadbeacon.com/2014/07/26/hiker-shoots-bear-glacier-park/
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

pompomgirl
Explorer
Explorer
What happened to a family going low buck? Many things are already priced out of their reach.

Despite the government's pseudo inflation calculations, everything is quickly being priced out of reach. Get used to it. So much for it being cheaper to buy stuff new than move it. That's why we are moving everything we own to Georgia, including open containers of cleaners, etc. We are about to be on fixed income, and everything is going up.

Mr_Beebo
Explorer
Explorer
The article wasn't very in depth nor did it have a whole lot of facts, other than what was based off of a survey. I couldn't spare the time to make the trek to Yellowstone this year. I'm not sure I agree with $25 to gain entry, but I know how I feel about $66. As far as bears, it isn't Jurassic Park, and I don't expect a refund if I can't see a bear.
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS
2009 Silverado 2500 6.0

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
RoyB wrote:
Doesn't one of the Natl Park Access cards cover these places.

I know I have used my SENIOR PASS to get into the NATL FOREST areas like SKYLINE DRIVE in VA, The Indian Ruins near Flagstaff, the Grand Canyon in AZ, etc...

It also gives me 50% on camping fees in these areas.

Roy Ken

We buy the Annual Pass too. Don't recall, but I think it's around 60-80 bucks.

Yellowstone's kinda like Disnyland; It doesn't matter what the cost is, people will pay it. If you want sticker shock, take a family of 4 to Disneyland. Better have 4-5 bills with you.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
If you are not aware of it, the fees for National Parks access goes directly to Washington and into the general budget. Meanwhile, the budget for National Parks is being cut more and more, down to the point that there is very little or no maintenance staff, and fewer Rangers. At at least one major National monument, visited by thousands daily, there is no handicap access to restrooms or the biggest part of the monument. The equipment is there, but is not used due to the cost of maintenance. So, if you want to see our National parks, you better do it before they are all sold to private companies and the price will really go up then! Most visitor facilities and shops are already being run by private contractors,and volunteers working for free.

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

dewey02
Explorer II
Explorer II
3oaks wrote:
If all the National Park fees and money raised inside of the parks stayed with the parks, there wouldn't be a need to raise the entrance fees and at the same time the parks would be better maintained. The biggest problem being that most of the money that the parks themselves generate goes back to Washington D.C. and squandered on other budget items. :M

Untrue. Since 2004, the Recreation Enhancement Act allows most funds generated by recreation fees at federal sites to remain with the unit and agency generating the funds.
Link

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
The national Senior Pass does cover entrance fees into Yellowstone, but not fees to get eaten by bears. That is covered by you Medicare hospital insurance. Or, SS death benefits. It also covers part of the camping fees at some COE areas.