cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Wrangler tow on aftermarket bumper

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
Any thoughts on towing a Wrangler with an aftermarket bumper using the D-ring eyes? I have a Blue ox baseplate still in the box, and now thinking about a winch, which of course leads to maybe changing out the bumper. The problem is very few aftermarket bumpers allow for the base plate below.

I know the D-ring eyes are designed for pulling, and I know I can get some Blue Ox adapters to fit them, but are all bumpers rated to do that? Seems I may be going out on a limb bypassing the Blue Ox baseplate with regards to intended use.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed
21 REPLIES 21

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
Ductape wrote:
https://www.rockhard4x4.com/product_p/rh-8000-bo.htm

I towed a JK with a Rockhard bumper. Worked great.

Similar to my aftermarket Rugged Ridge XHD Modular with Storage ends.

Eight bolts (4 on each side) hold the bumper to the Jeep's frame, and the 1" D-ring mounts attach to these bolts.

Since I already had a BlueOx tow bar, I was able to modify it to connect to the 1" D-rings. Because we do some off-roading, I did not want to use a BlueOx baseplate as it would be in a easily "damageable" location -- my JK Rubicon.

2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.rockhard4x4.com/product_p/rh-8000-bo.htm

I towed a JK with a Rockhard bumper. Worked great.
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

Y-Guy
Every bumper manufacturer I reached out to did not recommenced towing with the D-Rings. However, there are a few manufacturers that make ones that engineered and back up by the manufacturer, these are usually bumpers that the bolts pass through the bumper. That said I think a 2 door might be reasonable, but I won't do it with my 4 door.

Here are a few threads for you.

Jeep Wrangler aftermarket bumper and bracket

2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited setup opinions

Custom Made Bumper

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

msmith1199
Explorer
Explorer
I was looking at the same thing for my Jeep and decided just to keep the stock front bumper. I'm not a heavy duty four-wheeler, so I decided what I would do is get a winch mounted that can fit in a 2 inch receiver and I would use it on the back if needed. The times I've need a winch in a 4x4 (and didn't have one) it would have been better on the rear. I'm not going to climb a hill that the vehicle can't get up on it's own power, so my use for a winch would be getting unstuck from someplace I got stuck and odds are in that scenario you would need to pull out from the back anyway.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

scrubjaysnest
Explorer
Explorer
Several after market bumpers are available with Blue Ox compatible attachment points and are winch ready. Found this out after we had all ready bought the base plate and separate winch mounting plate. Cost is about the same.
Axis 24.1 class A 500watts solar TS-45CC Trimetric
Very noisy generator :M
2016 Wrangler JK dinghy
โ€œThey who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.โ€ Benjamin Franklin

anakindogwalker
Explorer
Explorer
I tow my Jeep Wrangler attaching to the bumper via the d-ring eyes. I have a LOD bumper with a winch. No problems.

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
Mile High wrote:
Any thoughts on towing a Wrangler with an aftermarket bumper using the D-ring eyes? I have a Blue ox baseplate still in the box, and now thinking about a winch, which of course leads to maybe changing out the bumper. The problem is very few aftermarket bumpers allow for the base plate below.

I know the D-ring eyes are designed for pulling, and I know I can get some Blue Ox adapters to fit them, but are all bumpers rated to do that? Seems I may be going out on a limb bypassing the Blue Ox baseplate with regards to intended use.

About the only thing I can say on the subject is that with my DEMCO base plate, it doesn't pull on the bumper itself, but is tucked in behind the frame plates, that the bumper is attached to and utilizing most of the same bolts for attaching. With my setup and for it to pull loose the whole end of the frame, including the bumper would have to come off, as it doesn't really pull against any bolts, as per say.
Seems to me, that this base plate would also work with an aftermarket bumper, but then, I'd have to give it a good looksee first.
I can also get adapters for my tow bar to fit any base plate and am presently using a NSA READYBRUTE/ELITE.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)