cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Wrangler tow on aftermarket bumper

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
Any thoughts on towing a Wrangler with an aftermarket bumper using the D-ring eyes? I have a Blue ox baseplate still in the box, and now thinking about a winch, which of course leads to maybe changing out the bumper. The problem is very few aftermarket bumpers allow for the base plate below.

I know the D-ring eyes are designed for pulling, and I know I can get some Blue Ox adapters to fit them, but are all bumpers rated to do that? Seems I may be going out on a limb bypassing the Blue Ox baseplate with regards to intended use.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed
21 REPLIES 21

BradW
Explorer II
Explorer II
SnoBear wrote:
I have the RockHard bumper setup with their Roadmaster tow mounts that bolt through the bumper to the frame. I use the D-Rings for my safety cables. Only towed my 4 door JKU 11,000 miles so far, but all seems to be solid.

I think RockHard is one of the very few aftermarket JK bumper manufacturers who has a good set-up for flat towing using their bumper. I bought one of their Blue Ox towbar adapters that I will be using with a modified Poison Spyder bumper.
Wake Up America
2019 Lance 1062 and 2018 F-350 CC PSD 4X4 DRW
Tembrens, Rear Roadmaster Sway Bar, Torklift 48" Extention and 30K Superhitch
Our New Lance 1062 Truck Camper Unloading at Dealer Photos

pauldub
Explorer
Explorer
I towed my XJ Cherokee off an aftermarket bumper. I made my own adapters to fit the tow bar to the tabs on the bumper. I now have a 4Runner and I'm towing it off the smallish tabs on the ARB bumper.

JimM68
Explorer
Explorer
crasster wrote:
Not sure why the aftermarket bumper would make any difference if it is made out of the same gauge steel as factory.... I don't think you'll have any issues.

The factory bumpers are made of sheet metal, except for the end caps (they call them "milkjugs") which are plastic!

When I towed a 2000 TJ Wrangler, I used Rockhard bumpers. They are 1/4" formed and welded steel plate, made to take a lickin and keep on tickin. At that time, Blue Ox sold towbar tabs for $52.

I through bolted the tabs to the bumper, and the bumper attached with grade 5 hardware that went completely through vertically, with the frame sandwiched by the bumper. The whole setup was very strong.

Additionally, this setup provided a much better approach angle than the factory bumper (even with the tow bar tabs) and HUGELY better than a baseplate which would hang below the factory bumper.
Jim M.
2008 Monaco Knight 40skq, moho #2
The "68"
My very own new forumfirstgens.com

My new blog

JohnnyT
Explorer II
Explorer II
Moved from class A forum
2004 40DS02 Travel Supreme ISL 400
Jeep Grand Cherokee, Ford F150
M&G Brake & Break Away
Blue Ox Aventa LX Tow bar

SnoBear
Explorer
Explorer
I have the RockHard bumper setup with their Roadmaster tow mounts that bolt through the bumper to the frame. I use the D-Rings for my safety cables. Only towed my 4 door JKU 11,000 miles so far, but all seems to be solid.

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
Very nice!

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mile High wrote:
Thunder Mountain wrote:
Since you are in the Denver area, give Tomken in Buena Vista a call at 719-395-2526. I had him make my bumper with the rescue ring attachment points to fit my Blue Ox tow bar. To make D rings fit in the narrow Blue Ox hard points, I had to grind them down a bit. Just dumb simple to hitch up. Check out this Tomken bumper.

Thanks Thunder Mountain. I assume that was to make them fit in the 1" 2 blade open blue ox connectors, or was that for the 3-blade like I have now?

It was made to fit the three blade. They fabricate and powder coat them on site. They welded a bracket for the breakaway switch and one for the light cable.
2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
Thunder Mountain wrote:
Since you are in the Denver area, give Tomken in Buena Vista a call at 719-395-2526. I had him make my bumper with the rescue ring attachment points to fit my Blue Ox tow bar. To make D rings fit in the narrow Blue Ox hard points, I had to grind them down a bit. Just dumb simple to hitch up. Check out this Tomken bumper.

Thanks Thunder Mountain. I assume that was to make them fit in the 1" 2 blade open blue ox connectors, or was that for the 3-blade like I have now?

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
crasster wrote:
Not sure why the aftermarket bumper would make any difference if it is made out of the same gauge steel as factory.... I don't think you'll have any issues.

For me, I'm not a good judge of what is enough steel. If I eliminate the base plate and go direct to the aftermarket bumper, I just want to know its rated for it and safe. Heck, I see how many busted tow bars and tabs there are on the forum, so not something I want to take too lightly. Some of this aftermarket is for glitter, and may not actually be designed for a full time tow versus jerking it out of the ditch.

Sounds Like some good feedback and options though, and I'm not the first person to wonder this if the aftermarket folks and blue ox are already teaming and offer rated systems that don't require a base plate.

msmith1199
Explorer
Explorer
crasster wrote:

It's about fit, not what the bumper is made of. The base plates attach to the frame under the bumper. Aftermarket bumpers block access.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer II
Explorer II
2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all for the feedback and great info. I'm getting an education. Looks like it is very doable with the higher end bumpers rated for towing.

As I'm a week over returning my base plate, and a rated bumper may be $800-$1000, I think I'll do the baseplate for now and maybe try the Barricade Trailforce bumper. It looks like it would fit above the base plate.

One thing about a Jeep - nothing stays the same too long.

WI
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Warn front bumper & use the d-ring mounts with no issue. I know Warn does not "rate" the bumper for flat towing. I believe many manufactures don't want to go through the expense of certification or possible liability issues for a small market potential. I am confident that my d-ring mounts have been jerked on much harder getting me out of, over, or off of obstacles than they will encounter towing my Jeep.