Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Yellow jackets in a/c box

HMBdave
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all,

Wife and I had our TH delivered back to our home this afternoon from the dealer and as I was showing the driver to where I wanted it parked, I noticed that yellow jackets were quickly moving toward and into the a/c unit on top. I am out in the country and I have seen these yellow jackets all over my property but I was I bit disturbed by them trying to make a home in the a/c unit.

Does air actually get drawn in from there into the trailer?
Is this something I need to worry about? If yes, what can I do to prevent it?

Dave
Still a novice
2015 Lance 2212ks Toy Hauler -current TH
2013 Ford F-150 ecoboost max tow -current TV
2003 Ford Expedition -Sold
2006 Attitude 21ak -Sold
15 REPLIES 15

Skid_Row_Joe
Explorer
Explorer
Dick A wrote:
The yellow jackets often seem to find a home under the covers of the air conditioners. Just a week ago my son had a blower wheel fail and when removing the A/C cover he discovered three active nests. He used some industrial bee spray to kill them. He also pulled the cover of the second A/C and found the same thing in that unit. He was stung once getting rid of those nests.

Go after them after dark with a flashlight and the spray. They're inactive, not mobile, and you can liquidate them easily. I discovered a hive in my water valve junction box in mid-June at my home. I approached at night and dumped pure bleach in there, and covered the lid hole with a brick overnight. Bye-bye bees/wasps. Had a huge honeycomb working in there I cleaned up in the daytime.

Clay_L
Explorer
Explorer
Horizon170 wrote:
I thought Yellow Jackets always made their nest under ground. We have some yellow/orange Wasps in GA and their sting is very painful. You can buy Wasp and Hornet spray at many places and it will shoot a stream 10-15 feet so you stay safe.

Nope - in fact I have seen them above ground more often than below. It may depend on the area and differences in the species. They look the same though.
Clay (WA5NMR), Lee (Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats) Salli (dog).

Fixed domicile after 1 year of snowbirding and eleven years Full Timing in a 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N, Workhorse chassis, Honda Accord toad

HMBdave
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Ken
Still a novice
2006 Attitude 21ak -Sold

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
Do not do anything to restrict the air flow like putting screens over the louvers. It is vital for efficiency that you have the maximum air flow over the evaporator and condenser coils possible. The only thing I would do is preemptively spray the covers inside area to possibly prevent the bees/wasps from establishing in there in the first place. Be sure to check and clean your inside filters to the units too. Makes it work better.

HMBdave
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:
To answer to OP's question No! Outside air is not drawn into the 5er through the AC. The air in the 5er is recycled inside the air outside stays out side.

Thanks I wasnt sure what would happen if I turned the AC on I was a little worried it might suck them into the trailer!

Thanks to everyone for the replies, I'll be getting some spray ASAP
Still a novice
2006 Attitude 21ak -Sold

Peg_Leg
Explorer
Explorer
I know from 1st hand experience that the ground dwelling yellow jackets do not like having their home ran over with a bush hog. OUCH!
2012 Chevy 3500HD Dually 4X4
Crew Cab long bed 6.0 gasser 4.10
2019 Open Range OF337RLS
Yamaha EF3000iSE
retired gadgetman

Dick_A
Explorer
Explorer
CRC wasp and bee spray is the best you will find. As it is an industrial trades product it will not be found at big box stores but rather at many industrial supply houses such as Grainger. It costs a little more but one can lasts a long time. In Spokane I buy it at House of Hose or Fasteners. It is a seasonal item so I usually buy a can in spring or early summer.
2009 Tiffin 43QBP Allegro Bus
RoadMaster Sterling Tow Bar
US Gear UTB
Ford Explorer Sport Toad
WA7MXP
"Pisqually" the attack kitty :B

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
The organic spray is MUCH more effective than the normal kind, especially on a roof.

If you spray with Raid or similar, the yellowjackets will chase you a bit before they die. This is bad if you are on a ladder. With the organic stuff, they just fall down dead instantly.

Plus it's made out of mint oil, so it smells good in your AC :).

It also might work to spray some preventatively at the beginning of the summer, to encourage them to build there nests elsewhere. Yellowjackets are good in the garden (they eat aphids), just not near where people hang out.

'Poison Free' is the brand, sold at big box stores.

Source: I work in an area with a LOT of yellowjackets. At least, it used to ;).
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
To answer to OP's question No! Outside air is not drawn into the 5er through the AC. The air in the 5er is recycled inside the air outside stays out side.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

HMBdave
Explorer
Explorer
Well thats what I thought, was hoping that there was something I could use to repel them from going there in the first place. Oh well, wasp killin time I guess.
Still a novice
2006 Attitude 21ak -Sold

tonymull
Explorer
Explorer
Horizon170 wrote:
I thought Yellow Jackets always made their nest under ground. We have some yellow/orange Wasps in GA and their sting is very painful. You can buy Wasp and Hornet spray at many places and it will shoot a stream 10-15 feet so you stay safe.

There are two types of yellow jackets, one is ground dwelling, those are actually the most aggressive. Best to attack when it is dusk and they are all back on the nest. I don't remember any but the ground dwellers from my time in GA but out here on the west coast they are uncommon.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Good friend cracked his AC shroud on tree limb. Since he was not physically able to climb on roof I said I would replace it for him. Removed screws and started to lift cover and out the wasps came. Still amazed I did not get stung. He tossed up a can of wasp and hornet spray and I killed most and ran off the rest.

Horizon170
Explorer
Explorer
Marvin

2010 Coachman Freelander 22TB on a
2008 Sprinter/Freightliner chassis
1995 Geo Tracker (Toad)

SAR_Tracker
Explorer
Explorer
Spectracide - best stuff I've found!
Rusty & Cheryl
2011 F250 2WD 6.2L Gasser
2008 Weekend Warrior FB2100
"Common sense is in spite of, not the result of, education" - Victor Hugo (1802-1885)