cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Yellowstone - Grand Tetons

prd2hnt
Explorer
Explorer
We are a little over 2 weeks until we head out to Grand Tetons/Yellowstone.

We are staying at the Colter Bay RV Park. Making our lists. Checking them twice. Making final plans.

We are planning to take I80 to Rawlins and then 287. Google maps has us diverting through Riverton on Hwy 135 and 26 and then back to 287.

Anybody have any thoughts on this route? Anything to look out for? More research to do. I have only looked at this 10 times. About time to make a decision I guess.

Brian
Brian & Kathy
Max - 9 year old Springer
'18 Chaparral 30rls
'07 GMC Sierra Duramax 4x4 Extended cab, long box
B&W Companion Turnover Ball
'15 Bennington 21SLX
12 REPLIES 12

TragedyTrousers
Explorer
Explorer
prd2hnt wrote:
We are a little over 2 weeks until we head out to Grand Tetons/Yellowstone.

We are staying at the Colter Bay RV Park. Making our lists. Checking them twice. Making final plans.

We are planning to take I80 to Rawlins and then 287. Google maps has us diverting through Riverton on Hwy 135 and 26 and then back to 287.

Anybody have any thoughts on this route? Anything to look out for? More research to do. I have only looked at this 10 times. About time to make a decision I guess.

Brian

Well come on over for a beer. Will be there in three weeks.

TragedyTrousers
Explorer
Explorer
kknowlton wrote:
Togwotee Pass is a beautiful drive, not especially difficult with an RV or towing. As others have mentioned, beautiful view of the Tetons as you come down the west side. I wouldn't divert.

Bear spray yes, if you plan to hike in Yellowstone. If you don't want to buy it, there is a kiosk at Canyon Village where they will rent it to you.

They rent it?
So if it doesn't work do I get my money back?

TragedyTrousers
Explorer
Explorer
cameronpatentlaw wrote:
Shopping list:

1. Bear spray
2. Bear spray
3. Bear spray

1. Beer
2. Beer
3. Beer

prd2hnt
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everybody. The bear spray should arrive from Amazon today.

Sounds like Togwotee Pass is worth the effort.

We plan to do some stocking of the camper in Rawlins. Nice to know we can get everything we need in Jackson also. We thought that might be the case. Thanks for the confirmation.

Brian
Brian & Kathy
Max - 9 year old Springer
'18 Chaparral 30rls
'07 GMC Sierra Duramax 4x4 Extended cab, long box
B&W Companion Turnover Ball
'15 Bennington 21SLX

kknowlton
Explorer
Explorer
Togwotee Pass is a beautiful drive, not especially difficult with an RV or towing. As others have mentioned, beautiful view of the Tetons as you come down the west side. I wouldn't divert.

Bear spray yes, if you plan to hike in Yellowstone. If you don't want to buy it, there is a kiosk at Canyon Village where they will rent it to you.
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375

cameronpatentla
Explorer
Explorer
Shopping list:

1. Bear spray
2. Bear spray
3. Bear spray

revump
Explorer
Explorer
One of the greatest places that we have seen. Not just the mountains but the animals
Bob

4huskers
Explorer
Explorer
The view you get of the Tetons coming down the pass is special. Try to make it in the morning so the light is coming from behind you/

CloudDriver
Explorer
Explorer
No reason to go out of the way to Riverton unless you want to make a stop at the last WalMart before getting to the Parks.

X2 on a detour to see the Sinks.

When you need to restock, head down to Jackson. There are two supermarkets on the south end of town, an Albertsons and a Smiths. Fuel is also less expensive there than in the Parks.
2003 Winnebago Minnie 24F - Ford E-450🙂

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Nothing to be worried about BUT, anytime you travel east or west from Cheyenne to Rawlins on I-80 just check weather reports and wind condx.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
I stay on 287 and in Lander a short detour to Sinks Canyon SP is worth the time. If you are into boondocking, PM me.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
26/287 takes you over the Togwotee (tow got tee) pass. It's a good pass since they widened it and improved the road surface. One of our favorite campgrounds is on that pass - Falls. You'll come out at Moran, head north for Colter Bay RV, one of my favorites. Enjoy.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton