cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

beach campground recommendations in Alabama and Florida

hapiour
Explorer
Explorer
Where do you like to camp when you go to the beach? Looking for something that is close to the beach. Don't mind walking to the beach but would prefer to be as close as possible. I do enjoy sitting and watching the waves roll in! If you have pictures of the area... even better!!

Thanks in advance!!!!
Just the 2 of us!
Looking for something new ??
2014 Keystone Outback Terrain 273TRL (sold)
2013 Nissan Armada SL
2006 Jayco Jayfeather 29Y (Traded but loved for 7 years!)
2004 Ford Expedition XL (Traded but loved for 8 years!)
Ready to hit the road!!
18 REPLIES 18

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
They rearranged the entrance to the campsites, you used to enter through the old loop and now through the newer one, I'd still think that driving or on bicycle is the best bet. It is a bit far, but very worth it. Our favorite park in the panhandle.
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

BamaBen
Explorer
Explorer
I just made reservations for a week in August for Grayton. Better hurry they are filling fast. This will be my first camping trip there but I have been going to 30-A for several years and love it.
1999 F-250 XLT
2016 PALOMINO BACKPACK

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer

This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
hapiour wrote:
How close to the beach is Grayton? Is it within walking distance?

For me it's too far to walk. A bike ride would be tolerable but I just drive over to the beach parking area.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

hapiour
Explorer
Explorer
How close to the beach is Grayton? Is it within walking distance?
Just the 2 of us!
2013 Nissan Armada SL
Ready to hit the road!!

hapiour
Explorer
Explorer
Yes please share pics!
Just the 2 of us!
2013 Nissan Armada SL
Ready to hit the road!!

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
FordDiesel250 wrote:
Can someone give me some feedback on Grayton beach?

Great beach park with a new loop that has FHU sites. Older loop is W&E only. The beach is a short drive away and is magnificent. Grayton seems to lack the hustle and people that some of the larger beach parks have. It is the best of the old Florida type beach parks IMO. Also reasonably close to Destin and Panama City Beach where good dining opportunities abound. I could send you a few pics if you like?

bobcouch
Explorer
Explorer
Re: your question about Tybee Island.
We stayed at River's End several years ago. It's OK, but not within sight or sound of the beach. A much better alternative in that area is
Sikdaway Island State Park. Huge campsites w/ full hookups including cable TV. We stayed there last spring, and would go back in a heartbeat. The nicest state park we've ever been to.
Bob and Honey Couch
2008 Keystone Everest
2007 Dodge MegaCab w/ 5.9 Cummins
http://boggythicket.blogspot.com/

is_it_friday_ye
Explorer
Explorer
Although not on the beach as I can tell, we're staying at Rocky Bayou state park in Florida over spring break. It gets decent reviews, I hope its nice. We're going at a busy time so theres not much available.
2007 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins SRW, Airlift airbags, Bilstein shocks, Smarty Jr., stainless turbo back exhaust, B&W Patriot 18K

2015 Grand Design Momentum 328M, disc brakes, Progressive Industries 50 amp EMS

hapiour
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks! I looked at Henderson SP..unfortunately they have no vacancies for the time I'm looking for this summer. I prefer full hookups and most SP are only water and electric. Any other places? Anyone stay at Rivers End in Tybee Island Ga?
Just the 2 of us!
2013 Nissan Armada SL
Ready to hit the road!!

joelc
Explorer III
Explorer III
We are volunteering at Henderson Beach State Park. Very nice. It is in Destin, FL.

FordDiesel250
Explorer
Explorer
Can someone give me some feedback on Grayton beach?

overbrook
Explorer III
Explorer III
hapiour wrote:
Where do you like to camp when you go to the beach? Looking for something that is close to the beach. Don't mind walking to the beach but would prefer to be as close as possible. I do enjoy sitting and watching the waves roll in! If you have pictures of the area... even better!!

Thanks in advance!!!!

Henderson Beach State Park in Destin Florida. Right on the beach. Campsites are behind the dunes, close enough to hear the waves, but protected from the wind.

A boardwalk from the camp area goes to the beach.

Private, large and level campsites. Easy park to get into and out of and close to everything.

I was there two weeks ago, and had no problem getting a prime beachfront site - they had plenty of vacancies.

Bill
Coachhouse Platinum 232 XL

KID2TEXAS
Explorer
Explorer
Camping on the gulf is great but way to high in cost for the way they pack you in there. Top Sail is my favorite but I also like Gulf State Park in Gulf Shores Alabama not that far past Destin.
Good luck and any of them will be great.
2006 Ford F-250 Super Duty, Amarillo Special Edition 4 X 4 & 6.0 PSD,
2015 Columbus 320 RS
Me, a Wife and two crazy kids that are to cool to go anymore :B
Golf cart that matches the Amarillo truck.