cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dealing with Freeloaders

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
Way back in prehistoric times, in a different life, I rented and used an RV for the very first time. I contracted for a Robin Hood RV. It was a modest size and good for our family of 3.

As soon as the family found out, everyone invited themselves to go with us and I found that I had to upgrade the RV size I was renting and wound up with a new 1976 Open Road. It was a great trip, but...

Of course everyone agreed to pay part of the trip, but at the end of the week after returning home, everyone promptly forgot about their commitment and also found excuses.

Now we have our very own (new to us) motorhome and we have said clearly to all our family that we will take them anywhere they want to go, but they will have to pay for fuel plus any special foods or drink they want to bring.

What do you do about this situation?
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.
50 REPLIES 50

Explorer II
Explorer II
Calculate the fuel cost and sell tickets to recoup that cost BEFORE they board the bus.
Wing the rest.

As already said you are lucky to have family wanting to share this with you. Mine compare it to getting a root canal.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

phenrichs
Explorer
Explorer
We share our TT with family for "family" trips. Like the family reunion that is several hours away. Generally only for my parents. My family really doesn't know anything about camping so we end up doing everything. We intentionally limit this to one trip per year. Aside from that it is understood that if they want to come they get their own site, although I will help them reserve so we are adjacent.
2006 Ram 3500 Megacab Cummins
2012 Keystone Sprinter 311BHS

Kelly_Campbell
Explorer
Explorer
Nobody goes on an outdoor fun trip on a motor home for free. Tell them the game plan is having the whole team play and everyone pays to play.
“Real freedom lies in wildness, not in civilization.” – Charles Lindbergh

http://thecampingtrail.net

Kelly_Campbell
Explorer
Explorer
For an outdoor trip? You’ve done it already. You’ve been honest and practical and told them (nicely, I’m sure) to put up or stay behind. If they’re real family, real friends … it’ll be no problem.
“Real freedom lies in wildness, not in civilization.” – Charles Lindbergh

http://thecampingtrail.net

DesertFront
Explorer
Explorer
I see it like this "RV" = recreational vehicle
It's for my recreational use. I don't need it HUGE, I want to take no more than four, me, myself, my wife and I, that's it. Anymore will have to bring, (and haul), their own tents, and or sleeping bags, food, etc.

I bought a small TT. Extra baggage will not fit. "Sorry, no room!"
Tow vehicle; 2013 Nissan Frontier CrewCab Pro-4X
Mods; 2" coil over lift/AAL's rear
LT285/75 R16 Kelly TSR, Flowmaster
RV; 2014 Coachman Viking 14R. TT
Mods; leaf springs moved on top of axle, Kenda Loadstar ST225/75D15

mike_mck
Explorer
Explorer
I enjoy having family with me on some of the weekend trips to the North country.

One son and his wife and 2 daughters always rent a trailer. He is like his dad and likes to be in control so he takes care of his own.
Son #2 and wife are more of a tent camper and inherited much of my tent camping gear. He has everything he needs.
Daughter and Fiancée are all geared up as he is a federal firefighter and has a ton of very cool gear.

My 96 caribou is for me and the dogs. I do haul my Rhino and bring a couple popups tables and coleman stove (remember white gas?) given to me by my dad for group cooking as well as a couple sleeping bags and a 6 man tent should somebody show up unprepared.

OhhWell
Explorer
Explorer
Dog Folks wrote:
Freeloaders are freeloaders, no matter what the place or plan.

They are the same be it a RV, a boat, or a vacation house in south Florida, when it is -10 degrees at "home."

I once stayed in my sisters vacant home, rent free. While there though, my wife and I painted the exterior, renovated the bathroom and re-roofed it, all at our own expense. We both thought it was a fair trade.

Goodness, want to stay at my house for a bit this summer???????
1998 bounder 36s V10 F53

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
Freeloaders are freeloaders, no matter what the place or plan.

They are the same be it a RV, a boat, or a vacation house in south Florida, when it is -10 degrees at "home."

I once stayed in my sisters vacant home, rent free. While there though, my wife and I painted the exterior, renovated the bathroom and re-roofed it, all at our own expense. We both thought it was a fair trade.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

Twain
Explorer
Explorer
The in-laws are good at bringing only an appetite. When we talk about dream trips out west, they are always in...until the cost is calculated. My family shows little interest due to funds or time. We've had some success with friends coming along in their own RV. And we'll let a child invite a friend occasionally and even will have a overnight B-day party with 4-5 friends.

Back to the issue, I offer to pay for the sites, split the fuel and they cover their food. This usually runs them off...I guess they are looking for a free vacation.
Early 1999 F-350 7.3 DRW CC, 4.10
2016 Open Range Light FL295FBH
3 Kids, 2 Dogs, 1 Wife.

cruising_spud
Explorer
Explorer
Gonzo-to me there are many questions to be answered before I could give advice to you on camping with family members that don't contribute to a group vacation. Do you LIKE camping with your family? Do you feel crowded when they are along or not? Can you afford to take them camping? Is your family close and, when needed, do you all help each other out?

Except for our children/grandchildren, no one in my family wants to come camping with us-the thought of camping is not a pleasing thought to them. When any of our children or their families come with us, we are lucky enough to be able to afford to foot the bill. We have a fun time.
Kathy

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer
Figure your costs that everyone has to share, gas, CG fees, admissions, tolls, for the trip divide by the number of people and collect that money up front and designate a banker to pay for these items and get receipts. At the end of the trip refund any left over money.

bob814u_and_juj
Explorer
Explorer
Tell them they can bring their own camper or tent. You can reserves the sites with at least two sites separating the sites.

tstryk
Explorer
Explorer
So glad our motorhome only sleeps TWO.
2006 Holiday Rambler Scepter 40PDQ
2014 Ford Fiesta frog
Tucker the schnauzer, Buddy and Cooper the labs

Possumgulch
Explorer
Explorer
We love having a group to camp with, and will help with camping gear (tents) for any who want to come along. We have a PUP and the only ones who sleep in it are our daughters and grandkids ....I guess I like my privacy too much. But always welcome others to the campsite, and food is generally planned out ahead of time and every family brings their share. So far (hopefully) no one has felt they had to provide more than their share. The kids get to bond with Gramps and Uncle as they do the dishes after the women cook. Making memories!
Garry and Julie
2008 Jay Series 1207
Dodge Ram 1500
Looking to Make Memories