cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tents at RV Sites

Quattro15
Explorer
Explorer
I'm thinking of bringing a tent with me to allow my 1 year old a place to crawl around outside and get out of the sun and bugs. This will also double as a spot for my 11 year old to camp out with her friends so as to not keep the rest of the family awake all night with their giggling and the like.

I was curious if you all have done this and if it is even allowed at campgrounds? I'd imagine some campgrounds would want me to also get a tent site for the tent?? That kind of defeats the purpose, but I'd understand if that was the rule.

What are your thoughts on the subject??
2006 Toyota Tundra Doublecab
2016 Coleman 192RDS
30 REPLIES 30

Quattro15
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the information guys!! I've got two tents, on is quite large though. I'm going to call ahead and feel the waters first wherever I go for a while but it looks like I'll be bringing one with me.
2006 Toyota Tundra Doublecab
2016 Coleman 192RDS

Explorer II
Explorer II
Tent? You mean the Guest House.
Our kids preferred sleeping in their tents.

Some Texas state and county parks will allow a camper plus two tents but not all. Some will only allow a tent on their designated pad and there may be only one per site.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

lovemytt
Explorer
Explorer
Texas state parks allow a tent. The sites are large enough to not inconvenience your neighbors. We put the boys in the tent and the adults in the trailer. It worked out great.
2006 Dodge Ram Mega Cab Hemi Engine
2012 R-Vision Crossover 200

Flapper
Explorer
Explorer
Minnesota State parks don't allow it, either. One "sleeping unit" per site.
2012 F150 Eco, 4x4, SCrew, Max Tow, HD Payload
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2670MK

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
We do not allow tents, period, no exceptions ever. One reason is if you read these forums, a big complaint is sites are too close together. Putting a tent on your site is the equivalent to parking an rv between each site, cramming everyone even closer together. That is just one of many reasons we say NO.

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
All the campgrounds we have been to allow tents all over the place. However, RV parks may have a different policy.

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
From my experience, it's not usually a problem with public campgrounds (NFS, COE, BLM, etc.). State parks are usually OK, but may be a few that don't allow it. Private campgrounds and RV Parks, best to ask because many have rules against it.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Murphsmom
Explorer
Explorer
Some campgrounds will require you to keep the tent out of the grass areas of your site, mainly due to the fact that driving tent stakes into the ground can damage the sprinkler systems.

elwood58
Explorer
Explorer
Our family camped at COE Parks for may years, and always had a couple of tents for the kids to sleep in. Our family of six had a 16' Aristocrat Trailer, so no way we were all going to sleep in the TT.
2016 Fleetwood Bounder 33C

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
State Parks in Indiana will allow a camper and a tent. We've done it many ties. Not so much with just the wife and me now, but when the kids were little, we did the extra tent all the time. Our Pop up did not have a bathroom. So we used a port-a-potty in the tent. It also gave us extra storage to put stuff up at night.

All you can do is inquire with the campground and see what the rules are. Each one is different.

bfast54
Explorer
Explorer
Generally speaking the more exclusive -----the more you would find exclusion:W
High end parks Resorts ----NO WAY .
Been my experience as I tavel.
2000 Ford SuperDuty F-350 Powerstroke,Dually.C.C.,.The Tow Monster
2005 Open Road 357RLDS
Prodigy Brake Controller:B
Honda EU3000is Generator
Raytek ,,Garmin 7735/GPS
Doran Mfg-RV360-TPMS
B&W/Companion

Rally's attended so far-21

My Blog
Good Sam Member

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'd bring it along. Campground rules vary; some permit tents in RV sites, some charge extra, some simply don't allow them. Very broadly speaking, the more expensive or RV-oriented the campground, the less likely it is that they permit tents...though there's a whole lot of variation. State parks and similar usually tend to have no problem at all.

jake2250
Explorer
Explorer
We have done it numerous times, Most places we go they only charge for an extra vehicle,On the coast they give a head count an charge for extra people, but allow overflow parking. When we had our PUP the tent held the baggage and became a changing room.
Earlier this month we were camping and mosquitoes were thick,, a few sites down from us these folks set up two large 12x12 screen room tents!! One was over the picnic table! Great idea!!

eDUBz
Explorer
Explorer
I always bring my tent for the same reasons you mentioned, except we dont have a baby just an 11yr old and 9. in the 3 years we owned our TH we never had an issue. We never ask, i dont think its a big deal.
LBZ - Stealth TH - RZR 900 4 - Honda 450X - Paddleboarder - Fisherman - Kayaker

scrubjaysnest
Explorer
Explorer
Do it all the time when our daughter joins us. Sometimes there is an extra vehicle fee.
Axis 24.1 class A 500watts solar TS-45CC Trimetric
Very noisy generator :M
2016 Wrangler JK dinghy
“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin