cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The in laws

Golfcart
Explorer
Explorer
I'm taking my sister in law and her boys(2 and 4) camping for their first time. Other than the usual hunting for "cool rocks" and fishing with no hook what are some fun things to keep the kiddos busy/entertained this weekend?

The older one is at the perfect age to get him into outdoors so I want to make sure he has a good time so he will want to come camping again with me(without his mom lol)!
2009 Sun Valley Road Runner 16ft
2010 Chevy Silverado 1500
30 REPLIES 30

hobbssb
Explorer
Explorer
In case anyone is still looking for entertainment ideas - a rope tied to the handle of a bucket, then thrown over a tree branch, makes for hours (or at least 5 minutes!) of fun, lifting and lowering objects. It does require some supervision to make sure nothing lands on anyone's head.

csamayfield55x
Explorer
Explorer
Kittykath wrote:
Give one a cheap metal detector and the other a plastic shovel. Throw a couple coins in the sand or grass when they aren't watching and let 'em loose.

That was what I was going to say! We still pack around a whole bin of cheap sand toys for whatever kids are coming along. Makes me a little sad that my only kid is almost 17 now. We started out camping with him as an infant and still have a few of his original toys that come with us on every trip! WE also have a whole cupboard full of board games. It is about the only time we get to play.

I also second getting him to help set up and tear down. Have him ope n and close slides, push the button for the jacks and turn on the water. Gives them a sense of accomplishment.

Glad you all had a great time, hope it is the first of many!!

Chris
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 6.7L Cummins Quad cab
B&W 20K turnover ball, Proline custom flatbed
Tekonsha P3
2015 Open Rang Light 311FLR

bob_nestor
Explorer III
Explorer III
Flashlights! This part of Texas they can hunt Wolf spiders when it gets dark. Have them put the flashlite next to their head so it shines out in front of them. The little blue dots they'll find are Wolf spiders staring back at them.

And of course what kid with a flashlite won't spend hours trying to signal the stars?

Kittykath
Explorer II
Explorer II
Give one a cheap metal detector and the other a plastic shovel. Throw a couple coins in the sand or grass when they aren't watching and let 'em loose.

kazmir
Explorer
Explorer
bring a couple buckets and hand shovels and let them dig! Mine boy is now 10 and likes to help with all the chores, especially if it involves shovels and an axe!
2005 Minnie 24V
Family of Four with lots of toys!:B

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Great ending! Or should I say, "Great beginning!" Looks like you've now got a new camping buddy! So glad everything went well for you.

We're breaking in our grandson now. He's 2 and 1/2 and absolutely loves the camper (as long as he has his tricycle and stuffed panda bear.)

Golfcart
Explorer
Explorer
Had a great time this weekend, he was a busy little boy lol. Friday night we set up everything and had a movie night/tent party.

Saturday we did everything from fishing to riding bikes to playing eye spy while hiking. He ended up falling asleep before 8pm while we were making smores

Overall was a good weekend, he asked if "we can go camping every day" lol
2009 Sun Valley Road Runner 16ft
2010 Chevy Silverado 1500

kohai
Explorer
Explorer
My young boys just like being outside. If there's sticks out there, they will find them. If there's a fire, the sticks will be in the fire. They do better in places with room to spread out than in tight rv parks. Bikes work too. My boys like to help with trailer setup and tear down.

We also bring card games, board games, puzzles, etc, for bad weather.
2014 Primetime Crusader 296BHS
2015 GMC 2500HD Denali

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
AJBERT, I feel your pain. DH and I have an adult son who was born while we were in college and we have two girls, whom are 11 and 8. I learned so much the first time that I am putting to good use with my "2nd" round of kids.

Mainly: DIRT DON'T HURT!

I am so much more involved with my girls than I was with my son because we were just trying to make enough money to eat and finish school, we grew up together.
I have done so many more things and don't stress over the small stuff like leaves in their hair, dirt on their clothes, and that type stuff that really doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things.

Sorry to hijack the thread.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

AJBert
Explorer
Explorer
I say let the kids be kids. I grew up camping and my folks let us do what we wanted to, of course with limits. We had "chores" as in helping set up camp but we never fished without hooks. This is the perfect age to teach them how to fish. No hooks is ridiculous in my mind. If you are worried about that just wrap them up in bubble wrap and let them roll around in the dirt. Kids love rocks and sticks. Let them gather all they want until you've had enough. Teach them about what plants to stay away from and those that are safe. They will also love the camp fire. Teach then how to build a proper fire while teaching them safety.

IMHO, too many folks just don't let kids be kids. Particularly boys. They will get dirty. Let them be boys and help them become men, providing the mom will allow it. If she doesn't tell her you won't take them camping anymore.

I've been going through this **** with my grandbabies and my daughter and my wife. Let's just say I've been fighting a losing battle but I'm still fighting.

lgarcia
Explorer
Explorer
Magnifying glasses, bird callers, chalk if on a paved site, and butterfly nets.
-Laura
2016 Shasta Oasis 18BH (specs and floor plan in profile)
2015 Ram 1500 Hemi

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
Mine are girls, but here are some of the things they like to do:

1. Scavenger hunt (even the youngest can find a rock, a leaf, a feather, etc. with a little bit of help).

2. S'mores and pie iron sandwiches over the fire. Let them help fix them and both you and the child hold them over the fire.

3. Fishing - yes, we have always let them use hooks. They started when they were 18 months old and still love to go. Keep the trip down to about an hour. Only let them fish one at a time and someone else look after the other one. With one occupied fishing, you can watch out for the flying hook. Let the 4 year old practice casting with a large bobber on the end and try to put it past a rope laid on the ground. When he gets able to do this, make the rope into a large circle.

4. Crafty projects using glue, leaves, twigs, etc.

5. Anything that involves mud! Most kids like to play in mud, so we would get dirt and let them stir in water to get a good consistency and then let them "paint" on a big poster board. This can keep them busy for hours.

6. Hiking to spot wildlife.

7. Digging in dirt to find worms.

8. Put up a small tent if you have one and let them "play house" or fort or whatever.

Just a few ideas of what we have done with our girls over the last 11 years (oldest girl is 11 and youngest is 8). They both started camping at 4 months.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Use a weight on the fishing pole and let him cast it on land. He'll learn to cast this way. Put a round ring, or a bucket, or even a towel on the ground about 20 - 30 feet in front of him and have him cast to see if he can hit it. This by itself will keep him busy for for hours.

Then, when he really get's the casting down, put the hook on and do it for real.

I still enjoy casting on dry land. That's how I taught my kids when they were old enough to just start walking.

Edit: You can put several markers on the ground at different distances. Assign points to each marker (like a gigantic dart board). Lowest points are up close, higher points are farther out. Then he casts one, then you cast one. Keep score. He'll have a blast ... and who knows? ... he may even beat the socks off YOU!

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
My boy loves to bring his Tonka trucks. Lots of gravel to scoop, load, pile, and make pretend cement with!
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS