cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Where to go?

MURPHY55347
Explorer
Explorer
We live in the Minneapolis, Mn area and are looking for recommendations on which direction to head. We have mostly done long weekends and some weeks at state parks in Minnesota, Wisconsin and Michigan but this time we are looking at trying a 10 day to 2 week trip. I like to drive no more than 250 to 300 miles a day. Just can't decide what direction to go. We have a Winnebago Vista 35F and don't bring a toad. We do like to take our time driving and enjoying the scenery along the way. Once at the campground we enjoy hiking so if anyone has specific recommendations for campgrounds that would be great also. I think we would like to spend at least a couple of days at each campground to break up the drive.
13 REPLIES 13

Opie431
Explorer
Explorer
We have gone around Lake Superior several times. Lots of parks so we did not have to make the same stops each time.

Kittykath
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm practically your neighbor. Shakopee here.

Go east. Oftentimes, we Minnesotans never make it much across the Wisconsin border. Teenage son #2 and I trekked out to Door County, WI last year, stopping to camp at Rib Mountain State Park in Wausau along the way. Only 6 hours straight east. Beautiful and lots to do!

jamnw
Explorer
Explorer
If you head East, then try Piney CG in Land Between the Lakes.

We stayed in the Dogwood Loop, it has full hookups and the bath houses are outstanding and they have laundry service at each house.

The hiking is good, there is plenty to see and do.
http://www.explorekentuckylake.com/lbl/

I especially love "The Homeplace 1850". It is a working farm that takes you back to the 1800's. It is absolutely amazing to see these people work the farm like time stood still.

The Bison/Elk range is neat, but it is hit or miss on whether you see anything. Best to go in the evening they say. First time we were over run with Bison and Elk, the second time we saw one Bison.

The Nature Center is very nice, the staff is very knowledgeable and helpful.

My wife and her aunt like hiking, I stay back with the kids so they can enjoy a day by themselves. They said its great hiking too.

There really is a lot to do there.
MARRIED WITH 2 BOYS: AGES 11 AND 13 years!
2000 F250 PSD/CREW CAB (301000 original miles)
2014 Keystone Springdale 320FWFBH
USN Veteran, Aegis FC

pondputz
Explorer
Explorer
If you are kinda into trains

http://www.durangotrain.com/

Putz

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
MURPHY55347 wrote:
Thanks thats the kind of ideas I'm looking for. I also am kind of into trains so this maybe just the ticket. Ha Ha. Of the places you visited would parking there accommodate a 35' motorhome?

Parking was never a problem.

Edit:

You've peaked my interest now. Here's some web sites:

http://www.weirdminnesota.com/index.html

Weird Minnesota -- the book

Minnesota: Weird, Wacky, and Worthwhile

This may get you jump started!

pawatt
Explorer
Explorer
photonanax3 wrote:
What about a road trip that takes you to Theodore Roosevelt Nat'l Park in N. Dakota and come down through the Black Hills and the Badlands?

Also add Custer State Park. (Caution many ND parks will be filled with oil field workers)

Agree, lots to see on this route and not too far.
pawatt

MURPHY55347
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks thats the kind of ideas I'm looking for. I also am kind of into trains so this maybe just the ticket. Ha Ha. Of the places you visited would parking there accommodate a 35' motorhome?

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Few years ago, the Wife and I did a week vacation. We didn't want to travel a huge distance and wanted to do something different too. We don't have kids at home any more either, and just our pets. I'm a model railroad buff, so this one vacation we decided to break-up the camping. One campsite in Southern Indiana, one in the Central Western area of Indiana, and the third in the Northern area of Indiana. Reason? We did an internet search and discovered that Indiana had 7 different railroad museums and several of them had working railroads (engines and passenger cars). We'd already rode the one in Connersville and Noblesville Indiana, so decided to hit the other 5 ... which we did. We stayed 3 nights at one location, moved to the next for 3 nights, and then the last for 3 nights, and then headed home. It really was a great vacation and we had an absolute blast.

So, if you do some research, and locate the various railroad museums in your area, you might consider doing something like this. If your not a railroad "buff", you might consider something else? Do you have interest in minatures (like doll houses), or how about exploring the book "Weird Minnessota" (if it exists.

For what it's worth, the wife and I are now focusing our vacations (still in Indiana) based on the book called "Weird Indiana". We're selecting campsites (state parks usually) within proximity of something talked about in this book and then go search it out. So far, it's working out great! It gives us a destination point and something to do, and includes a little research into the area or nearby town.

We've done the hiking, swimming, bicycle riding stuff when the kids were little. Now that we're a little older, I guess we've journeyed into the "weirder" side of life. .... but hey .... we're having fun doing this ... something to consider!

Have fun!

Roundtwo-40
Explorer
Explorer
Mt.Rushmore, Custer SP, Badlands (3 are together), Devils tower, Yellowstone, Grand Tetons. We tried doing that in reverse order from a visit in Denver a few years ago but got snowed out of the Yellowstone part :(. Wherever you go have fun and be safe ๐Ÿ™‚
2013 Jayco Eagle 328RLTS w/15K AC
2013 Ram 2500 CTD CC 4X4
Equalizer 14K,PI PT30C Surge

photonanax3
Explorer
Explorer
What about a road trip that takes you to Theodore Roosevelt Nat'l Park in N. Dakota and come down through the Black Hills and the Badlands? It's a trip I've often thought of, but haven't done. I have though been to the Black Hills a few times but not for camping in quite a while. It would also depend on what time of the year too.
Live for today for yesterday is gone and tomorrow is not guaranteed.

MURPHY55347
Explorer
Explorer
Just me, DW and the cat.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
You didn't state if there are any kids that usually determine what to do and where to go.
So let us know the age and makeup of the family and we'll send out some ideas.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

I_am_still_wayn
Explorer
Explorer
MURPHY55347 wrote:
We live in the Minneapolis, Mn area and are looking for recommendations on which direction to head.

many years ago there was a song with the lyrics, "Go where you want to go, do what you want to do." This applies to you. Go, explore, take on something new, make an adventure, discover. Someone can plan your trip for you, but can't you look at state parks, national parks, museums, etc. on your own?