Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dog breed descrimination - showing up late un-announced

MartyW
Explorer
Explorer
Hi to all,

We've been camping with our German Shepherd dog for over 30 years (of course different shepherds along the way and always one at a time). We had always stayed in public / state parks in the past so we were not aware of the breed descrimination issues until we boutht a 34' TT last summer with the hope of doing some extended stay trips during semi-retirement.

We're scheduled to get on the road within the next few weeks and I've worked out some good routes and stops using the many mobil apps and internet, but in the process we've had quite a few CGs tell us that we can't stay with our shepherd. We're speaking mostly of FL for now. I've also heard that in many cases the breed restrictions aren't always inforced, but we haven't tested anyone or any CG on this.

So my question is if we're on a trip and can't make it that day to our planned CG that has accepted our dog in advance, and we pop in un-announced at a CG that has an anti-Shepherd policy (in late afternoon / evening), has anyone seen any of these restrictive CGs allow one of the banned breeds for just a one night overnight stay? We haven't tried this yet but we've been told that it does work in some cases.

Many thanks in advance for your experiences about this.
Marty
94 REPLIES 94

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
Further to my earlier post about insurance and liability.
IMHO Breed discriminations are tantamount to racial discrimination amongst us.
Certainly dogs ( or horses, cattle, rabbits, etc. ,) have instincts they've been bred and trained for to service us. A blanket thrown over a particular dog breed does disservice to the breed; when the vast majority of those breeds in question are well socialized with people and other dogs.
In light of this, and the indeterminate parentage of dogs who may appear to be a select breed, OUR insuror and state gov't does not require us to restrict any domestic animal from state or private property.
We do ask and enforce that the pet is friendly, quiet, not aggressive.

corgi-traveler
Explorer
Explorer

If you want to see crazy sheep try working Cheviots or Barbados.

We have worked both, and crosses of both with other breeds. Never really had any problems except for a few Barbs that tried to fly. The facility where we train has a Kathadin flock that varies from year-to-year...this year's was not very good, and at the end of the spring trial season saw a lot of them going to market!

I have a good friend with a small flock of Barb/Dorper crosses that are pretty nice to work.

The sheep that have caused me the most pain were a set of St Croix...big idiots.
Samantha (the poster)
Tim, DH and driver of the CorgiMobile
Dexter and Dora - Pembroke Welsh Corgis
Gone but never forgotten -
Beth 1/11/94-6/3/09
Pippin 3/16/05-11/4/15
Buddy 11/7/05-10/24/16
Diva 1/9/09 - 8/20/20

MartyW
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks DOTLDaddy, hopefully we'll find other CGs who will do the same.

DOTLDaddy
Nomad
Nomad
MartyW wrote:
I appreciate everyone's responses and love of their breeds. One question I was hopeful I could get answered is if anyone who has one of the typically-rejected breeds has been allowed short-term or one night stays at CGs while being declined long term stays. We've already had one CG give us that option so we could at least stay over night. Thanks again to all.

Hey Marty, that's pretty much what happened to us. I posted on your topic about it on page one.

Walter & Garland - Camp Canine caretakers
Miss Inga (aka "Shorty") - 10 y.o. old GSD.
Gen. Gretchen - Joined Rainbow Div., June 27, 2017 at age 13
Gen. Missy - Joined Rainbow Div., June 11,2006 at age 12
2018 Montana HC305RL 5th wheel
2018 Silverado HD 6.0L

MartyW
Explorer
Explorer
I appreciate everyone's responses and love of their breeds. One question I was hopeful I could get answered is if anyone who has one of the typically-rejected breeds has been allowed short-term or one night stays at CGs while being declined long term stays. We've already had one CG give us that option so we could at least stay over night. Thanks again to all.

davosfam
Explorer
Explorer
zach477 wrote:
davosfam wrote:
In the photo, her snout looks thick and boxy like a Shar-Pei. Might just be the angle though.

I think a lot of the breeds

It definitely is. Much more so that a pit would normally have. The muzzle on a pit tends to come to more of a point. I don't know if her thick muzzle is a result of the boxer mix, or something else unknown. One day I might end up doing genetic test to find out more.

Definitely don't see any pit in her. Everything but her muzzle says Boxer to me. People just don't understand that several breeds can be brindle, not just pits.
Shannen and Rick, empty nesters and loving it!
2015 Keystone Cougar 333MKS
2005 Chevrolet 2500HD Duramax

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
The head (aside from the floppy ears) almost looks Great-Dane-ish.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

zach477
Explorer
Explorer
davosfam wrote:
In the photo, her snout looks thick and boxy like a Shar-Pei. Might just be the angle though.

I think a lot of the breeds

It definitely is. Much more so that a pit would normally have. The muzzle on a pit tends to come to more of a point. I don't know if her thick muzzle is a result of the boxer mix, or something else unknown. One day I might end up doing genetic test to find out more.

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer

Which breeds are frequently banned from campgrounds besides pits?

Shepherds, dobies and rotties are the most common that I've seen. Some say "or any cross thereof" and some ban by size.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

davosfam
Explorer
Explorer

I think a lot of the breeds that end up on the top 10 bite list are dogs that became extremely popular. With that popularlity comes an increase in breeding (some responsible, some not), increase in ownership, etc.

There are some breeds on the list that I would never ever own and others that I would and have owned. I would love to have a Doberman but I don't want the hair/shedding.

Which breeds are frequently banned from campgrounds besides pits?

zach477
Explorer
Explorer
Crowe wrote:
Pretty girl! How tall/heavy is she? If she's a big girl, I'm going to guess a mastiff mix; but her large head and jowls might just be the angle of the camera....

If she's smaller - then I'll guess Shar-pei or Boxer mix?

Those would be my guesses as well.

She's not as big as that picture may make her look. If you use my foot to fair gauge her size, it's misleading. My foot is far away from the camera, but her head it up close.

When I adopted her, I was told that she is a pit/boxer mix. She's smaller than any boxer I've seen, and smaller that most pits as well. Some people guess boxer right away and don't see the pit at all. For others it's the other way around. I've never had some one guess Shar Pei, though. I've seen her point at rabbits before so there could be something else in there too. If you Google plott hound/boxer mix they kind of look like her too.

KOA will never get my money because they ban pits. Too bad for them. As someone who works with dogs in a professional capacity, I'd have to say using breed to predict temperament is silly. I once stopped a yellow lab from killing a beagle. I've also worked with golden retrievers who were aggressive. And collies (think lassie). The list goes on....the point is they're all individuals.

Id probably never pull up to a campground at the last minute without knowing if they have breed restrictions. Even though Gemma could win over most sleptics, if it's an insurance issue, they're hands are tied. It sucks, but it is what it is.

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Pretty girl! How tall/heavy is she? If she's a big girl, I'm going to guess a mastiff mix; but her large head and jowls might just be the angle of the camera....

Those would be my guesses as well.

Douglas Adams

davosfam
Explorer
Explorer
Deb and Ed M wrote:
zach477 wrote:
Here we go. Let's see if this works...

This is Gemma, she's a mix. Can you guess what breeds?

Shar-pei and Boxer is what I was going to guess too.

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
zach477 wrote:
Here we go. Let's see if this works...

This is Gemma, she's a mix. Can you guess what breeds?

Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!