cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stopping for dinner and leaving the dog in A/C....

mike77leprechau
Explorer
Explorer
so, planning 5 hour drive. I have a german shepherd. I have a Brand new Ram 1500 with climate control and remote start that I can check interior temperature by looking at my key fob. my worry is that if we stop half way for a 45 minute dinner, and I let the truck run with the air on using the starter, monitor the temp, etc is that enough to stop some do gooder from smashing my truck window to "save" her (its legal for them to do that now and they don't have to prove a darn thing) other people leave their dogs in the trailer with vents opened so people won't see I REFUSE to do that myself, I mean, the dog is going to be sitting in a/c.... any thoughts,? I mean if i had an older vehicle I couldn't monitor or trust the a/c this would be a different discussion... worse comes to worse we just drive straight through but i know we'd like to stop and the dog would be just fine! am I over thinking this?
Current Rig: 2018 Forest River Salem 32BHI Towed with a 2017 Ram 1500 Big Horn 4x4-5.7 Hemi/4x4/3.92/8 Speed Auto

"You should really invest in a Diesel 1 ton to properly tow that popup"
24 REPLIES 24

Mr__Camper
Explorer
Explorer
Well said.
Mr. Camper
Mrs. Camper
Fuzzy Kids = Tipper(RIP), PoLar(RIP), Ginger, Pasha
2013 Open Range Light; 274ORLS
2004 Dodge Ram Turbo Diesel
Retired and love spending the kid's inheritance

brewjaz
Explorer
Explorer
I am one of the "do gooders". HOWEVER, if I see a dog in a car during certain higher temperatures, I would stand outside their car until the owners came and would only smash the window if the dog was in serious distress....or call the police if I could not stay for a length of time.

For me--I carry two sheets of paper with me, one for each side of the car, that I fold at the top and close the windows on. They say "CAR IS RUNNING WITH AIR CONDITIONER ON FOR THE DOGS". I never let them in the car for more than a quick run into the store. Since you are fortunate enough to have a temp. monitor for your car, and you can go into a restaurant for 45 min. and KNOW that your dog is safe, maybe you could add onto a sheet that you ARE monitoring the temp. for your dog.

Please remember that us "do gooders" are NOT crazy when we break windows in cars with dogs inside that are in distress. ALMOST EVERY DAY during warm/hot weather MULTIPLE dogs throughout the U.S. die a HORRIFIC death because owners left them in the car "for just a minute". Some of those dogs are scent/attack trained dogs that work for the police department---their trainer (police officer) "forgets" and lets the dog in the car where they die from heat strokes.

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
'll give you credit for imagining you know better than I when you weren't there.

Just defending my position, no more no less. Never said I knew better just offering a different view.

I, too, would like to know what truck keeps running. Our 2013 F150 shuts off after 10 minutes. We have a cap on the back of ours but the temp limits how long they can be in there.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

Campinghoss
Explorer II
Explorer II
When we want to eat out we always leave the truck running with a/c on. I keep my spare keys in my pocket, lock the doors and go inside. I may be fortunate but have never had a problem doing this.

We actually did go out this past weekend for breakfast. I do always ask for a table where I can see the truck if possible. As far as someone wanting to steal it I feel fairly confident the big rott/shepherd mix would make them stop and think a few moments before they actually broke in. I would never leave them in summertime temps without a/c.

Lots of opinions on this subject though.
Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
MorRyde IS with disc brakes
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucie our fur baby
Lucky 9/15/2007 - 1/30/2023

rdmike
Explorer
Explorer
I am out
Fleetwood Providence 39L
Ford Fiesta Toad
Retired, spending our winters in Thailand / spring - fall traveling the great USA

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
My question. Where did y'all find truck that you could lock with the key in the ignition? I know about remote start. I have that on my car. But it will not run long. However, on my truck. You have to leave the key in it to keep it running, and, the door will NOT lock with the key in the switch.

So IF some of you have been doing this for years, and years. Do you not lock your truck?????
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
I'll give you credit for imagining you know better than I when you weren't there.

Shall we continue to derail the OP's thread until the mod steps in? 😉

Let's start our own thread on the best tools for breaking car windows, shall we?
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
I think you're practicing the fine forum art of being deliberately obtuse. Or do you live in some part of the world where it heats up after dark?

Got under your skin pretty fast. While it might not get hotter, it doesn't always cool off, either. Were your windows all the way open or just slightly? I stand by my original comment. Not my fault if it's made you defensive. A running truck for 25 years? Thanks for adding to our air pollution problem. Maybe the officer was more concerned about the dogs getting carbon monoxide poisoning and just didn't articulate properly. Who knows? Give the guy some credit for being concerned instead of just assuming he was out to get you.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
Crowe wrote:
He claimed to be concerned they might get hot.

I'd say he was doing his job.

I think you're practicing the fine forum art of being deliberately obtuse. Or do you live in some part of the world where it heats up after dark?

If there were even the slightest risk of our dogs being warm the A/C would be blasting.:C

Pop-Pop_C
Explorer
Explorer
My 11 CHEV would shut off after 15 min on remote start!

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Jack_Diane_Freedom wrote:
Do not know how your Ram is set up but my F250 will only run 10 minutes using the remote start and then it will shut down and I would have to restart.

Same for my Chevy (2014 model). I can only remote start it twice, It will run 10 minutes and shut down. It will not start a 3rd time until it's started with a key. Then I can start 2 times again remotely.

FYI, when traveling ... for years now ... with the dog ... we will leave the dog in the camper if temperatures are less than 70 degrees outside. If more than 70 ... one of us stays with the truck, goes in, orders the food, comes back out, where the other person has set up folding tables and chairs in the grass somewhere, or even under the awning if we are parked at a spot we can extend it, and have a picnic. We never stay inside. AND ... we have NEVER been told we had to put the chairs up or put the awning up ... ever... anywhere... in 30 years of camping together all over this country!

rdmike
Explorer
Explorer
Whenever we do this and in the toad, we look for a place with outdoor seating. Our dog comes with us. No issue. Otherwise one runs in and orders.
Fleetwood Providence 39L
Ford Fiesta Toad
Retired, spending our winters in Thailand / spring - fall traveling the great USA

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
He claimed to be concerned they might get hot.

I'd say he was doing his job.

Douglas Adams

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
We've been leaving the dogs in a running vehicle for at least 25 years. Never an issue yet. We try to eat in places where we get a window seat and can observe the truck.

Sometimes we use a 2 way radio with one in the truck set to voice activated. Dogs bark, we hear it. That did alert me once to an overzealous animal officer who was watching my truck. Dogs were watching him back. 😄
He claimed to be concerned they might get hot. This was after sundown with the windows open.:R