Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Goodbye, my Keiss . . .

bka0721
Explorer
Explorer

Goodbye, my Keiss . . .

The long handle blended into the browns and gray hues of the desert. It was only broken by the haphazardness of the mesquite bushes that dotted the expanse beyond my window. My thoughts cried loudly within my head knowing what was below the handle. The broad edge had been thrust into the crust below it, now more than six hours before. The wind was stronger and rearranging the desert floor that had earlier been disturbed, soon to erase any signs anyone had been here.

Nothing could be shared to appease the sadness that was weighing heavily upon me this day. The years seemed to have flown by since the moment a little black whirling blur, with two pointy ears, had been carried through our door. Its excited tumbling and sliding on the wood floors pulling at everyoneโ€™s heart within.

The slight nudge of Keiss's head, against my leg, would be the tell-tale sign he had returned from his brief night stroll on this moonless night. He was invisible in the darkness and almost silent, until his nudge. The later years arrived much too soon and the infirmaries of slowing gait, confusion and night battles with unseen squirrels were racing through his dreams. The bright sparkle of his eyes filtering through the hair around his eyes, as he watched me dropping the crumbs of the finished bag of cookies into his dish. Without a doubt, anticipating the moment he could then lick them out. A pleasure he received on occasion for the many times he provided pleasure for our family.

Walking out the door of my Truck Camper, to retrieve the shovel set into the desert by me, I noticed the silver bag containing the cookie crumbs he didnโ€™t get to finish, the day he left us . . . me. I had stood over him seeing the brightness of his eyes, as we looked at each other, as the cloud euphoria cascaded through him. Within my thoughts I held strong as his inability to be able to stand up and walk beside me, these recent weeks. The nights as we struggled to find something he could swallow and eat weighed on me as much as his whines of hunger. I was feeling the weight shifting from his legs to my arms and hands as I began to hold him ever tighter and his head leaned into my arm for the final time.

A pet provides so many pleasures in life. A child provides happiness that is unfathomable. Parents and family provides the guidance and love that sustains all of us. Friends provides the comfort all of us want, without ever asking. The loss of any of this causes sadness that only time will heal. Time, please come quickly.

Goodbye my Keiss, your being here brought such great pleasure and unconditional LOVE.

b

Photo by; Sabconsulting ~ at Mormon Lake May 2014
08 F550-4X4-CC-6.4L Dsl-206"WB GVWR17,950#
09 Lance 1191
1,560wSolar~10-6vGC2-1,160AmpH~Tri-Star-Two(2)60/MPPT~Xantrex 2000W
300wSolar~2-6vAGM-300AmpH~Tri-Star45/MPPT~Xantrex 1500W
16 BMW R1200GSW Adventure
16 KTM 500 EXC
06 Honda CRF450X
09 Haulmark Trlr
68 REPLIES 68

bka0721
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you, nabi. Keiss was a great companion and added to the adventure I am still on, now without him. Many of those RV'rs he met have stopped by here and commented too. For that I am grateful and happy that he, a four legged little dog, impacted their lives too.

b
09 Lance 1191
16 KTM 500 EXC
06 Honda CRF450X
09 Haulmark Trlr

nabi
Explorer
Explorer
I understand exactly what you are feeling...Keiss was a lucky dog to have had you as a friend.

bka0721
Explorer
Explorer
Six months ago today, I was leaning the motorcycle into the curves as I worked my way down the East Portal Road. My beloved Scotty Dog, Keiss, riding behind me on my motorcycle. He enjoyed riding in the open top case on many trips, with him on the back of my BMW GSA. In my mirror I could see his small head up over the edge of the case, the triangle ears not as tall and firm as they once were. The wind pushed away the long hair that normally hid those deep Pearl black sparkling eyes. Today they look distant, there was not any sparkle in them. I was not sure he knew this would be his last ride. But the last 3 hours we had spent together, sitting in the openness of Californiaโ€™s Alabama Hills. Our camp and home for these last few days. It was apparent he was not comfortable and the appointment ahead of us, was needed. For both of us.

Now time has passed, my travels now has me deep in the canyons of Utahโ€™s Grand Staircase. I still long to hear his small yelp, that message that he had returned and wanted back inside the warmth of the camper. How he was able to find camper, these many dark nights, in so many remote locations, is something I will never comprehend or will never know.

Last night I heard what I thought was his yelp, of wanting in. Before I even thought about it, I walked to the door and opened it. Darkness enveloped me and the bright stars were hanging brightly overhead. The cold chill of the night just woke me to the realization of this ambling of an aging man that was lost in his thoughts. Thoughts of wanting an old friend to return. Only to be hit in the gut, with a punch of reality that life has changed forever.

Closing the door, I found myself back at the table, leaning back over my book. Elbows on the table, hands on the side of my head. Spectacles off to the side of my book. My reading light seemed much brighter, now, as my tears dropped to the page, below my eyes. Each tear enhanced the letter of the printed words on the page. I knew from past moments, like this, to turn the page. As this has come many times these last six months.

Goodbye my Keiss

b
09 Lance 1191
16 KTM 500 EXC
06 Honda CRF450X
09 Haulmark Trlr

bka0721
Explorer
Explorer
xteacher wrote:
What a beautifully written tribute to an obviously well-loved dog. I'm so sorry for your loss.
Thank you, Xteacher. While I don't see or talk to many people, due to my lifestyle of being in remote areas for long periods, comments like yours allows me that contact with people through my desire to write, what I am thinking and feeling and not showing outwardly.

b
09 Lance 1191
16 KTM 500 EXC
06 Honda CRF450X
09 Haulmark Trlr

xteacher
Explorer
Explorer
What a beautifully written tribute to an obviously well-loved dog. I'm so sorry for your loss.
Beth and Joe
Camping Buddies: Maddie (maltese/westie?), Kramer (chi/terrier?), and Lido (yellow lab)

2017 Keystone Bullet 248RKS
2014 Aliner Expedition Off Road
2013 Ram 1500 HEMI

CA_POPPY
Explorer
Explorer
That, Sir, is a wonderful piece of writing and the photo is magazine-worthy. Thank you so much for sharing the loss of a very special friend. You are among those who fully understand.
Judy & Bud (Judy usually the one talking here)
Darcy the Min Pin
2004 Pleasure-Way Excel TD
California poppies in the background

skipbee
Explorer
Explorer
We lost our beloved Marley, after 15 years, last spring, she would not have wished us to suffer. Shortly after, along came Luna, a spirited puppy who has helped to blunt the sting.

Keep an eye out, Keiss's spirit is looking for a way to return to you, and will!

Love to all,

skip
skipbee
2004 F350 Diesel CC SRW 19.5" Rickson W/T 4WD
2005 Lance 1121 well found.
See us on YouTube" Living the Lance Life" 3 of 4. Google skip bosley for TR's: Alaska, Assateague Island, Disney World & Fla Keys and a California Coastal jaunt.

Freedom_49
Explorer
Explorer
bka0721 wrote:
After 52 years of having a continuous line of dogs, it is time to be without until the time I get off the road or lead an RV life that is more conducive to having a pet.

I absolutely understand that, and I tried it four dogs ago. Now I measure my remaining years in how many dogs I might have.

Hopefully there is a dog out there that will change your mind. You have much to give.

I just want to say one more time what a superb picture it is of him sitting in a sun that appears low on the horizon.

fiveeyes
Explorer
Explorer
I, along with many,know your pain.Very eloquently expressed. tears...

69_Avion
Explorer
Explorer
I was sincerely saddened when I heard that Keiss had passed. It is not often that you find that perfect companion, but when you do, those moments are to be cherished, even after they are gone.

Take care my friend,
Ford F-350 4x4 Diesel
1988 Avion Triple Axle Trailer
1969 Avion C-11 Camper

Boatycall
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry to hear about the loss of your family member. Girlfriends have come and gone, but my little furball Chewy has been my co-pilot for 10 years now, he's as happy and active as the day I got him, hope he stays with me for several more years.

'15 F450, 30k Superhitch, 48" Supertruss, 19.5's, Torklift Fast Guns
'12 Eagle Cap 1160, 800watts solar, Tristar MPPT, Magnum Hybrid 3k Inverter
'15 Wells Cargo 24' Race Trailer, 600 watts Solar, TriStar MPPT, Xantrex 2kw inverter
'17 Can Am X3 XDS Turbo

btggraphix
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Bryan, thanks for sharing Keiss's tribute here with your Rv.net friends. He was quite a lucky and remarkable dog and I'll miss seeing him when we next meet out on the road somewhere. May he rest in peace.

Losing a pet while traveling is a uniquely painful thing which we unfortunately also experienced and oddly it was while traveling back from spreading my fathers ashes on a mountaintop in Montana. What a tough and emotional trip that was..... I wanted to write up a tribute to our pup here on the forum but I just couldn't do it for one reason or another. Those of you who have shared these tributes to their best friends are much appreciated (Whazoo and Spot also both pop into my mind as well as many others over the years.)

Thank you for sharing Bryan, and safe travels.
2006 LanceMax 1191 - loaded and well-used
2005 C4500/Kodiak 4x4, GVWR 17,500

bka0721
Explorer
Explorer
Again. I appreciate the comments that have been shared because there have been many of us that have had best friends, like mine. I always start with a dog knowing that this will be the end result. But in doing so, I remember the memories, not the final weeks, as it was with Keiss.

For those that know me, have followed me in my almost 6 year adventure and have even met up with me at some remote boondock location, know very well the life I lead. For me to continue it would be better not to have a dog, until that time I am no longer gone for long periods of time, hiking/kayaking or riding the motorcycle. Or traveling through areas that have extreme temperatures, cold or hot. Then those times when I might spend the night out, before returning back to my camper. Having a dog now would not be fair for them. Keiss was remarkable in the hours he spent and the 100 degree and below zero temps he shared the camper with me. I just don't want to worry about an animal, in those conditions. After 52 years of having a continuous line of dogs, it is time to be without until the time I get off the road or lead an RV life that is more conducive to having a pet.

NRALIFR wrote:
Sincere condolences Bryan.

Keiss...... That's an interesting name. A quick web search reveals that there's a Scottish village with that name, with the ruins of an ancient castle nearby. Any significance to your choice of his name? Can you help with the pronunciation?

I like researching the origins of names.

:):)
That is pretty remarkable that you would do that. You are correct. It was always a family tradition to get the world atlas out and select a name, from Scotland, for each one of our 4 Scottish Terriers(52 years, 3 from the same breeder). The name "Keiss" was chosen for that town you found. I am impressed, NRALIFR. My kids picked that name, from a short list we gathered, from that atlas. My daughter's name is derived from a similar direction, Cairn. As a NPS Ranger, I always liked the name of the piles of rocks that guided lost and confused hikers and promised myself if I ever have a daughter I would name her that, and did. Names are special and they often have a story behind them, as did my best friend, Keiss.(Keee'iss, like in the rear end of a person, that they sit on)

Thank you for bringing that bit of story up.

b
09 Lance 1191
16 KTM 500 EXC
06 Honda CRF450X
09 Haulmark Trlr

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
Sincere condolences Bryan.

Keiss...... That's an interesting name. A quick web search reveals that there's a Scottish village with that name, with the ruins of an ancient castle nearby. Any significance to your choice of his name? Can you help with the pronunciation?

I like researching the origins of names.

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 โ€˜Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam typesโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ..Letโ€™s Go Brandon!!!

trailgranny50
Explorer
Explorer
So sorry for your loss. Having my dogs, all of them over the years, has completed me in ways nothing or no one else can. Each time one leaves me I swear, never again. I always relent and find another friend to share my life and fill the empty space in my heart. Not replace, but to add to the memories and share the times.
2004 Chevy 3500 Duramax all stock
1990 950 Shadow Cruiser Hard side multiple add-ons
Ancient Valco 10'x5' John boat
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser Trail Team
One-eyed Trail Horse and one horse trailer
Rocky, Annie, Muffie traveling Fur Babies