cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

mosquito repellent for dogs

tonymull
Explorer
Explorer
Nothing comes up on a search, but anyone have ideas?? One of our small dogs has pretty thin fur and Alaska has a lot of mosquitos.
31 REPLIES 31

Naio
Explorer II
Explorer II
tonymull wrote:

My mistake, but it is B1 instead of B6 that makes us less tasty. And, reading up, it is something in how we metabolize bananas that draws them, not the potassium...so back to the french fries for you! 😉

Oh! Good to know! Thanks for the update :).
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

tonymull
Explorer
Explorer
4X4Dodger wrote:
I would say not to worry about this. Dogs all over the world in the tropical zones dont get mosquito repellent and do just fine.

Dogs in Alaska do just fine without it.

Dogs who do well in mosquito country have the proper coat to discourage mosquitoes. This particular pup has very little fur on her chest and underside. Great little dog but not built for fending off bugs. Her adopted, and not very bright in her opinion, sister has a thicker coat and will do just fine...except she tries to eat every mosquito that flies by. Must be exhausting, she sleeps like a rock when we are camping. 😉

tonymull
Explorer
Explorer
The Advantix sounds like a great idea! We'll just switch over from their current flea control.

My mistake, but it is B1 instead of B6 that makes us less tasty. And, reading up, it is something in how we metabolize bananas that draws them, not the potassium...so back to the french fries for you! 😉

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
This is the only product I will use on my pets.

a natural fly repellent, Marigold Spray is non-toxic, alcohol free, pesticide free and SAFE...will not burn eyes! Works up to 8 hours with sunscreen protection.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

4X4Dodger
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would say not to worry about this. Dogs all over the world in the tropical zones dont get mosquito repellent and do just fine.

Dogs in Alaska do just fine without it.

Naio
Explorer II
Explorer II
whazoo wrote:
I swallow two tablespoons of cider vinegar a day or two before I go out, it works well for all bugs incl chiggers we had in Georgia when I whaz a kid. I just can't see getting my dog to take it, at least not without promising him a Corona to wash it down.

If he was a cat, I would just say 'mix it with tuna' :).

I wonder if the vinegar is high in vitamin B6?
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
Speaking from our shorthaired fella's experience...

Advantix works extremely well. When we moved to Yukon we still had some Advantix from life on Vancouver Island, where ticks are a problem. Someone suggested I use it here too, to keep the skeeters off my boy.

Works great! Just one treatment each spring does the job. Put some on him last week because he was getting swarms around him and numerous bites. Now...nothing. They don't go near him. Amazingly effective.

Tempted to try it on myself :B
sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

ChiMom
Explorer
Explorer
Another flea/tick repellant, Vectra 3D, also advertises it stops mosquitoes. We use this on our Chihuahuas and haven't noticed any problems.
Barbara, Florence, Rascal (bad chihuahua), and Annabelle (good girl turning bad)
Rainbow Bridge: Magoo (baddest chihuahua)
2007 Pleasure-Way Ford Excel TD: Miss Daisy

dturm
Advantix II is labeled as a mosquito repellant.

Key Benefits

• REPELS and kills ticks, fleas, and mosquitoes. REPELS biting flies and kills lice, too
• Kills ALL life stages of fleas and prevents development of fleas, flea eggs, larvae, and pupae
• Prevents fleas on a treated dog from reinfesting the home
• Kills fleas within 12 hours, and kills reinfesting fleas within 2 hours
• Waterproof

I'm not sure how well it works and for how long, but if you are doing flea and tick control (a good idea when camping with dogs) it might be a solution.

Doug, DVM
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Moved from TC Forum

Wayne

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

tonymull
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Naio! whazoo, I grew up in GA too. Chiggers! I've seen people with a couple hundred mosquito bites...but that doesn't compare to a good dose of chiggers. OH damn!

portscanner
Explorer
Explorer
Far Roamer wrote:
Try searching cedarwood oil, there are a few homemade recipes for pet friendly insect repellent and I think there are a couple of commercial products as well, I have not tried it yet so I cannot vouch for it's safeness or effectiveness.

This works. Also ticks dont like it either. And it smells nice!
One beautiful wife -Trooper and Doc the furcampers
2019 Dodge 4500 Flatbed with 2013 Chalet TS116 http://www.brittanynews.us

whazoo
Explorer
Explorer
I swallow two tablespoons of cider vinegar a day or two before I go out, it works well for all bugs incl chiggers we had in Georgia when I whaz a kid. I just can't see getting my dog to take it, at least not without promising him a Corona to wash it down.

Naio
Explorer II
Explorer II
Something was bugging my memory (not a mosquito) so I looked it up. Too much or too little vitamin B-6 causes nerve damage. So it is important to take the right amount.

Older humans often have too little, and I personally have found it helpful to take as a supplement.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitamin_B6

Edit:
Recommended daily dose for dogs is 1.0 - 2.0 mg/kg

That's about 44-90 mg/lb.

Sources:

http://www.vetbook.org/wiki/dog/index.php/Pyridoxine

https://www.dsm.com/markets/anh/en_US/Compendium/companion_animals/vitamin_B6.html