cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our beloved dog (Sammie) suddenly died yesterday

wbrown62
Explorer
Explorer
I came home from work about 8 PM to find my wife sitting on the floor crying with Sammie lying on the floor dead. She said the 2 dogs ran in the house happy to see her only moments before my arrival home. Sammie suddenly began seizing then died in her arms just a few seconds later. Sammie was a 14 year old Dachshund and such a sweet dog. She really loved camping as well as all people and enjoyed attention from anyone willing to dole it out. We will miss her dearly. My tennis/vet friend is having her cremated for us and was kind enough to meet me late last night at his office to take possession of her for us.

Our other dog, Heidi doesn't seem to miss her too much, but who knows. We want to get another dog, but will be leaving for Germany for 10 days in August. We have decided to wait until after the trip to begin the search for another family pet and companion for Heidi. Thanks for letting me "bend your ear".

Walter
2011 Keystone Bullet 246RBS
2000 Chevrolet Silverado
37 REPLIES 37

SkiingSixPack
Explorer
Explorer
So sorry fr your loss. We went through it with our Brandy in January, 1 week after her 16th! 🙂 🙂 You know how these dogs get in our hearts. They never leave! 🙂
My better half
DS-18,DD-17,DS-15,DS-15 (4 teenagers, in da house)
Summit Red Sunshine-4
Brandy Red Sunshine-At the bridge

The greatest thing you ever can do now,
Is trade a smile with someone who's blue now,
It's very easy just...

gcloss
Explorer
Explorer
So sorry to hear about your loss. We have been through the loss of a pet a few times and it's never easy. Our veterinarian sent us a poem after we lost our last dog. Here is a link.

Rainbow Bridge
2012 Ram 2500 Big Horn Crew Cab 8' box
5.7 Hemi, 4x4, 4.10
2015 Jayco Eagle 284BHBE

nana23
Explorer
Explorer
I am so sorry for your loss. It sounds like you and Sammie had a wonderful life together. If your experience is like ours, over the next few months the great memories will gradually relieve the pain of loss. I hope Sammie is happily playing with our Cody and Taz who are waiting for us at the bridge.

Eileen
Don, Eileen and our 4-legged "kids"
Sophie, Riley and Tessa with
Taz and Cody waiting at the Rainbow Bridge and always in our hearts

CA_POPPY
Explorer
Explorer
That is a horrible shock, especially when you don't have answers. I don't think there is any easy way to lose them, but Sammie's way was best for her. We will look forward to hearing about the new pup in the fall.
Judy & Bud (Judy usually the one talking here)
Darcy the Min Pin
2004 Pleasure-Way Excel TD
California poppies in the background

coolestdude
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry for your loss. What a way to start out the summer!

James

raindove
Explorer
Explorer
I've often wondered which is worse..... the shock of losing a beloved pet unexpectedly and fast.... or watching them age or struggle with a disease and struggling over that final decision. I've decided none of them are any good.

As hard as it was for your wife, it's good that she was there for Sammie. Sounds like he had a great life.

Wishing you peace with this and hopefully soon you will be able to remember the good times with smiles and not tears.
Whatever hits the fan will not be evenly distributed.

Wanda

1998 Fleetwood Bounder

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
What a heart-wrenching shock; so sorry for the loss of your beloved pet 😞
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

AZPops
Explorer
Explorer
Geez so sudden! So sorry for you and the Mrs.'s loss Walter!

Lance and Calvin

crimmps49
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry for your loss. Seems Sammie had a great family with lots of love. Someday you shall meet again over rainbow bridge. Hope your heart heals and you look back at all the great times you were blessed with. God bless.

chrisnpat
Explorer
Explorer
I'm so sorry for your loss, Sammy is Happy and pain free, I hope your wife can take comfort in knowing that......
Christine and Patrick
Cocker Spaniels
Trevor and two Fosters Kahlua and Blossom
Life is What happens to you while your busy making plans.

otis-agnes
Explorer
Explorer
So tragic. My sincere condolenses. Agnes
Otis, Agnes and Penny & Twinkie (our rescue pups)
2018 Grey Wolf 23MK
2019 Ford F250

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Acampingwewillgo wrote:
So sad to hear this.....Im glad your wife was there for Sammie at the end(as hard as it must have been). Bless you for loving Sammie and giving him a wonderful life!

Couldn't have said it better.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

CatandJim
Explorer
Explorer
Oh my goodness, what a shock. I am so sorry for your loss. Please take gentle care of each other during the coming days.

Cat

(Jim just reads the forum once in a while)

Our toys:
2003 Damon Ultrasport 3873
(picture on profile)
Boat = ProCraft Fish & Ski

Working our way toward retirement...wishing it was soon.

lj2654
Explorer
Explorer
So very sorry! It is such a traumatic time when you lose a pet. Our Dalmatian of 12 years died suddenly 6 months ago of kidney failure.We also have a sweet dashchund of 13 years old. Pets are so much part of the family!
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples 40
2012 Cadillac Srx
retired AirForce 1979-1992

dturm
Our hearts go out to you. So sorry for your loss.

Doug
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV