cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Storm Stories

dturm
Share your stories!!

Our section of Indiana (northwest near Chicago) is under a state of emergency, all interstates (I80-94, Indiana toll road and I-65) are all shut down.

We had over a foot of snow with high winds so drifts are over 3-4 feet.

It is currently -15. Wind chills near -40.

It's not unusual to get a below 0 temp here in Jan or Feb, but high today is supposed to be around -11 (record low high temp for any date around here).

One of our doctors got stranded at the airport (she spent New Year's in NY) and the other is snowed in, so I'm "working" today. I actually had a surgery show up!! and one patient for subQ fluids.

We're shutting down early, I've got a huge pot of soup at home waiting.

Doug
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV
40 REPLIES 40

DOTLDaddy
Nomad
Nomad
"Storm? What storm???:@ Just throw the frisbee, will ya!"

Walter & Garland - Camp Canine caretakers
Miss Inga (aka "Shorty") - 10 y.o. old GSD.
Gen. Gretchen - Joined Rainbow Div., June 27, 2017 at age 13
Gen. Missy - Joined Rainbow Div., June 11,2006 at age 12
2018 Montana HC305RL 5th wheel
2018 Silverado HD 6.0L

charlysmom_dad
Explorer
Explorer
It's -15 in the western suburbs of Chicago. We decided not to go to Florida this winter, little did we know what we were in for!
We stand by the door with our jackets on when we let the dogs out. We are ready to run outside and carry them in after they do their duty.
We are allowing the little chihuahua to use the peepee pads inside.
The 2 dogs that love the snow are the ones we adopted in Florida. The Chicagoland dogs go out, do their bisiness and come right back in.
2015 Thor Vegas 24.1

oldtrojan66
Explorer
Explorer
Thankfully I don't have a "storm story". I have a snug warm home in the country, and we normally have a stock of food for several weeks. I don't currently own a generator, but have only been out of power about three hours in 25 years. (Thanks REMC) I have a boss who is not torqued about letting me have a day off, when the county roads are under emergency travel restrictions. I have 4g connection which allows me to surf state park sites in florida and other southern locations where we can camp next year after we retire! No complaints, no worries!! Be safe and warm, friends!
2007 Jayco Designer 36RLTS
2006 F350 DRW 6.0 PSD (powerstrokehelp.com)
When you're born, everyone is smiling and you're crying. Live so that when you die everyone else is crying and you're smiling!

AZPops
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of bad stuff goes on in thoughs type of temps, so you'all be safe an keep warm! I heard looting / ers are bad as well!

As far as me an Pops goes. It got really cold so I've been wearing my sweater now days!

Calvin

dturm
magnusfide wrote:
I sure hope no one is camping in that. I have to say I believe rvers are better at preparing for this kind of thing. With the interstates closed, no food will be restocked on store shelves.

We do like camping in the winter, but at this temp you'd go through a tank of propane every day and still have problems with lines freezing. We usually don't plan anything if it's below 15 (above 0). I think it's time to join the snowbirds.
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee

Dandy_Dan
Explorer
Explorer
Doug, I didn't see this thread until I had posted on Old Fella. If you can/want to delete from Old Fella and put it here, that would be fine with me.

Stay warm and have a bowl of soup for me. :B
dan218b@tds.net
Dan and Lori Branson
Anna 1 and Lily( The new one)
Sarah-7/16 and Beau at the Rainbow bridge
2015 Ford SD350 Crew Cab Power Stroke
2009 Open Range 337RLS
Old Fella Rally Member
RV.Net Ohio Rally Member

dturm
Just took a quick picture outside the hospital. It's sunny and does not look at all like it's -15.

Doug & Sandy
Kaylee

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
I sure hope no one is camping in that. I have to say I believe rvers are better at preparing for this kind of thing. With the interstates closed, no food will be restocked on store shelves.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

rav
Explorer
Explorer
stay safe driving. it's -11 here in Elkhart and they have also issued the travel restrictions. only a plow or two have driven by so far.

we are taking the dogs out 2 at a time (we have 2 fosters right now- great time to house break a 10 month old!)

RBak
Explorer
Explorer
Keep safe and warm, Dr. Doug. We're hunkered down safe and warm not too far from you in Crest Hill, Il where it is -16. Andy our sheltie knows what the word "hurry" means when he goes out to take care of business, and my horse is safe and warm in her stall out in Oswego. The barn manager told us not to try to come out because of the drifts made the rural roads impassible. What a winter so far. Hope everyone and their fur kids stay safe and warm.

Rita, Andy and Nicky

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
Geez, here in Florida we have to turn the heat on!!!

The horror of it all.

Stay warm my cyber friends.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006